Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th March 2020, 13:46   #1
Whaleshark

Rover 75 saloon

Default Intermittent ABS light

Hi guys,
So I have been trawling through the various threads to try and solve my problem and have checked and cleaned all connectors and checked wires.

My ABS fault light intermittently comes off and on. Sometimes it is on when I first start the car and sometimes it is not.
This morning it was on when I first started the car and went off after about a minute of driving and then came back on a few minutes later.
The redeeming feature with my fault is when the ABS light is OFF I get a grinding noise when I brake fairly hard and the brakes feel a bit snatchy.
As soon as the ABS light comes ON the brakes feel smooth and the grinding noise has gone.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance,
Carl.
Whaleshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2020, 13:50   #2
Whaleshark

Rover 75 saloon

Sorry forgot to say, I have a 2002 Rover 75 Connossieur CDT SE Auto
Old 6th March 2020, 14:35   #3
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Get yourself a copy of Toaf and a USB KKL lead on a Windows based computer and it'll tell you which corner is at fault (use the search bar). Very handy tool to have and saves money on workshop rates. Or head up to Newton Abbot, Exeter Road Garage where they have a T4 that can read your car. Then it's a matter of whether it's a sensor or bearing magnetic strip at fault.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2020, 08:25   #4
Whaleshark

Rover 75 saloon

Thanks for your reply, I shall give this a try.
Old 9th March 2020, 20:19   #5
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

If you have cruise and it still works it's not the n/s/f , if your speedo still works it's not the o/s/f. That just leaves one of the rear wheel bearings. I had the exact same fault of a crunchy pedal but having the use of a Bosch KTS , I traced it to the O/S/R by driving at 5 mph and checking the speeds on all four corners. The fault is usually due to the backplate behind the bearing swelling with rust and touching the bearing. Tapping the damage flat and treating the rust before replacing the bearing should save you doing it again in a short time !

My car with the fault was my 2003 Connie se diesel auto too

Last edited by patrolman pete; 9th March 2020 at 20:22.. Reason: More text.
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2020, 08:51   #6
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Hi all,

I have exact the same issue as the thread starter. Will start with TOAF and check out. Any other advice?
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2020, 09:59   #7
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beinet1 View Post
Hi all,

I have exact the same issue as the thread starter. Will start with TOAF and check out. Any other advice?
Just be prepared to change the backplates at some stage if Toaf indicates one of the rear sensors. You might be able to clean up the area and remove any rust flakes as a temporary measure. The rust build up on my old car was so thick I used a hammer and cold chisel to remove the “sprängrost” - cleaned the magnetic strip and all was well.
If you need a new sensor, which I think is unlikely then DMGRS have got genuine ex-Longbridge ones at a price cheaper than many eBay ones.

I’ve got new original sensors here in Gävle but the postal service is exceedingly slow - sent two VIS motors to Ivar near Trondhiem, went as a letter but took 9 days. As Ivar said “bicycle service, 3 deliveries a week” - we in Sweden expect next day delivery for letters. I could have driven to Trondheim and back in a day - I once did it but that was before Corona became the universal excuse.

Keep well
Old 6th December 2020, 10:00   #8
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Just be prepared to change the backplates at some stage if Toaf indicates one of the rear sensors. You might be able to clean up the area and remove any rust flakes as a temporary measure. The rust build up on my old car was so thick I used a hammer and cold chisel to remove the “sprängrost” - cleaned the magnetic strip and all was well.
If you need a new sensor, which I think is unlikely then DMGRS have got genuine ex-Longbridge ones at a price cheaper than many eBay ones.

I’ve got new original sensors here in Gävle but the postal service is exceedingly slow - sent two VIS motors to Ivar near Trondhiem, went as a letter but took 9 days. As Ivar said “bicycle service, 3 deliveries a week” - we in Sweden expect next day delivery for letters. I could have driven to Trondheim and back in a day - I once did it but that was before Corona became the universal excuse.

Keep well
Hi, Thanks

TOAF says error count on rear rigth, so this is probbably the issue/solution. I then know what to do
Old 7th December 2020, 17:36   #9
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Hi all,

Removed the bearing hub and cleaned the area. Did not look bad at all. No corrosion making the backplate touching the bearing hub. Put everything back on, erased the error codes and went for a test drive. The ABS light went on after a few hundred meters, so back to square one. Will my best bet be a new sensor?
Old 7th December 2020, 19:18   #10
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beinet1 View Post
Hi all,

Removed the bearing hub and cleaned the area. Did not look bad at all. No corrosion making the backplate touching the bearing hub. Put everything back on, erased the error codes and went for a test drive. The ABS light went on after a few hundred meters, so back to square one. Will my best bet be a new sensor?
Either a new sensor (cheaper) or new bearing. You could always swop the hubs over and test again, lots of work, and the DMGRS sensors are cheap enough.

Keep well