Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th January 2021, 23:22   #1
llamote

Rover 75 Estate

Default Power assisted driving, leaking

Hello all,
I just bought a Rover 75 Estate CDTi from 2004, it was fine for a month, and then the steerwheel was extremely difficult to turn. So I filled up the hydraulic oil, and it was fine for 35 km's. But I am sure there is a leak somewere, my driveway is plenty of violet coloured liquid... I will have to clean the engine with some de-greasing agent to discover where the leak is exactly... anyway, it's underneath the pump. The high pressure line has no sign of any leaks/breakage, so I will concentrate on the return lines, and the cooling lines. I have the Hayes manual for Rover 75. And there still some options... Did any of you experienced the same issues?
I would be glad to share my experiences.
Note that at this very moment it is freezing in Belgium, and even with most courage, I won't be able to check everything right now
VBR
llamote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2021, 00:37   #2
Maxfly
Loves to post

MG ZT 190 SE

I had a slight weep at the joint that sits just above the front subframe on the drivers side,it is actually fixed to the subframe iirc, a quick nip up with a couple of spanner’s sorted that.
Maxfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2021, 01:26   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Hello and welcome along, check your power steering pipes, they are known to wear through in certain areas.
Old 18th January 2021, 10:19   #4
llamote

Rover 75 Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfly View Post
I had a slight weep at the joint that sits just above the front subframe on the drivers side,it is actually fixed to the subframe iirc, a quick nip up with a couple of spanner’s sorted that.
Thanks Maxfly, I will check it, but first I have to clean the front end to discover where the leak is exactly
Old 18th January 2021, 10:25   #5
llamote

Rover 75 Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Hello and welcome along, check your power steering pipes, they are known to wear through in certain areas.
Thank you Trikey, I will check this for sure, but I need to clean the front end with some degreasing product and high pressure water cleaner. I guess the best is to remove the front bumper to have access. My idea is to get a spare (or make it with my 3D printer) cap on the oil reservoir where I can put some compressed air... This will make it easier to locate the leak. It can be anywhere, in the piping, the hoses or at the joints (O-rings)
Old 18th January 2021, 10:49   #6
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Luc.
Which engine do you have 1.8, 2.0, 2.5, petrol or a diesel engine.

The power steering rubber hose can chaff on the A/C pulley clutch on the diesel couple of photos below so check there, also check banjo nut on the power steering pump.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2021, 17:40   #7
llamote

Rover 75 Estate

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Luc.
Which engine do you have 1.8, 2.0, 2.5, petrol or a diesel engine.

The power steering rubber hose can chaff on the A/C pulley clutch on the diesel couple of photos below so check there, also check banjo nut on the power steering pump.

Very usefull informatoin Arctic, tomorrow , when the gods of weather are calmed, I will check, and let the community know about my findings. BTW it's a 1.8 CDTi Diesel left hand driving (europe)... It's from2004 , but I would be glad to take it over the "old timer" limit, 20 years in belgium

Last edited by llamote; 18th January 2021 at 17:48..
Old 19th January 2021, 16:29   #8
FrattonEnder
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Interesting that just nipping up the banjos can sort a PS leak. My 2005 ZT diesel has been weeping for a few months, losing around 100ml in a 2-3 week period. i've checked the hoses as best I can and there's no obvious wear, cracking or chafing that I can see. Only thing I can tell is that my leak is from the lower end of the high pressure line near the rack, so when I can get some space on the drive (and lose some weight to crawl under!) then I'll check the banjo on the rack end. Otherwise it'll be a job for Pirtek to redo the hoses.
Old 19th January 2021, 18:08   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamote View Post
Thank you Trikey, I will check this for sure, but I need to clean the front end with some degreasing product and high pressure water cleaner. I guess the best is to remove the front bumper to have access. My idea is to get a spare (or make it with my 3D printer) cap on the oil reservoir where I can put some compressed air... This will make it easier to locate the leak. It can be anywhere, in the piping, the hoses or at the joints (O-rings)
High pressure water.------Keep well clear of the alternator.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote