Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th March 2007, 12:08   #11
Departed
Retired

--

[QUOTE=mantianak;43622][QUOTE=lowedb;43434] I guy where I work put a GPS antenna with a magnet on top of his latop. The hard disc lasted approximately 3 revolutions (a fraction of a second) before the data was irreversibly wiped. Did he have a copy of his important files on the network, did he B*****.
Quote:

Did he use a recovery programme like R-Studio? It's worked wonders for me in the past. Also I think a lot of decent equipment these days are magnetically shielded like most decent speakers are. I tried to intentionally ruin a hard drive (Don’t ask why) with a strong magnet but it wouldn’t wipe anything.
Because of the importance of the data, the drive was actually sent to one of those places that does forensic level recovery: they actually bought a new drive of the same model and put the platters into that (all under clean room conditions of course). They got absolutely zip off it.

Speakers that are magnetically shielded use a second magnet in reverse to cancel out the external field that would mess up normal TVs, so it's not just a case of putting a metal box around what you want to protect. Most HDDs I've seen have a cast alloy casing with a pressed alloy top. This will give very little protection againsat a magnetic field unless it's varying.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 12:57   #12
tourerfogey
Banned

Just an update - I took my PC apart yesterday and I couldn't beleive how filthy it was inside. I carefully and thoroughly cleaned it and, touch wood, (I'm typing here with one hand on my head..) I've not experienced the problem since and the system seems much quieter now than it was - in fact I had to stick my ear against the case to check that the fan was working because it is so quiet.

So, fingers crossed ....... but my future son in law is going help me make a back up just in case 'cause I haven't got a clue!
tourerfogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 14:24   #13
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

Glad it was the cheap option

BUT do get the backup sorted ASAP.

3rd Sods law (computors) (Bill Gates Edition)

Hard discs only fail when they have not been backed up !
David3807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2007, 21:01   #14
WeeMan
Posted a thing or two

Mazda MX5, BMW 520i

Am back!!, just had the same symptoms for a couple of days..............then the power pack died!. New one in now and rnning like a wee sweety!
WeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2007, 22:35   #15
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Agree with all comments on Backups. It can cost thousands to recover Critical Information (not possible with these Retail SoftWare Programs).
Cleaning of Computer Fans needs to be done or at least inspected every couple of Months or so. The Fans on Processors and Graphic cards when clogged give all sorts of funny faults. Keep em Clean!
Power supply fans fail quite regular to, and a lot of these cheap power supplies supplied fail because they cannot supply the Current requirements of many modern computers.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote