Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd September 2016, 10:27   #1
velvetsunrise

Rover 75 Saloon

Default CDTI fuel filter change now car wont start

Hi, I have a lovely 2003 Rover 75 CDTI Auto with 106000 miles on the clock. Took it into my local garage for a Service, Oil change, Air and Fuel filter. Went to pick the car up from the garage and noticed it was a little more hesitant to start than usual, Anyway drove the half a mile home in heavy traffic without any problems.

Came out an hour later and the car cranked over but refused to start. I rang the RAC and he said there was a problem with the Fuel filter, he removed it, it was half full of fuel and a lot of air.
He refitted it and purged it and got the car to start. But after stopping the engine, it again refused to start. The RAC advised, air ingress into fuel filter, return to garage.

Managed to limp the car back to the garage, it drove totaly gutless and wouldnt rev above 2000RPM in park.
The garage are struggling to diagnose the problem, it was running fine until they did the service. I will add, that about a week before the service there was one time when the car took a little more turning over than usual to start, but it was just the once, and subsequently it started as normal. But i am now wondering if this was a sign of something failing.
The garage say the fuel that is coming into the fuel filter is frothy with a lot of air in it.
Any suggestions as to the cause of the problem?

Thanks.

Last edited by velvetsunrise; 23rd September 2016 at 10:35..
velvetsunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 12:22   #2
KeithA
Loves to post

Rover 75 Conny Tourer Auto

I had a starting problem with a Citroen c4 post service, issue turned out to be a pattern fuel filter. When replaced with a genuine part there was no problem.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Old 23rd September 2016, 13:11   #3
velvetsunrise

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi,
thanks for the reply, as it happens i have just got back from the garage. They have replaced the first fuel filter with a different one, its appears to be a different brand as this one is painted black.

The mechanic demonstrated that the car does eventually fire up after some considerable cranking, and revs ok.

He pointed out when the engine is switched off you can hear air being drawn back into the system in the vacinity of the bulkhead fuel pump...hmm!

Is there a fuel tank breather that could be blocked?

Or i guess more likely dodgy pump?

Last edited by velvetsunrise; 23rd September 2016 at 14:45..
Old 23rd September 2016, 17:29   #4
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

Default CDTI fuel filter change now car wont start

Maybe a poor joint. That's not sealing right but I'd have thought a mechanic would have spotted that easily. I had a small fuel leak from the inlet to the under bonnet pump, which is just by the bulkhead to the rear of the fuel filter. A new clip on the pipe sorted that.

Can you see any evidence of fuel leak? If airs getting in the fuel could be getting out. Could give you a starter for ten.

Some of the fuel pipes are rubber and getting old now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Coups; 23rd September 2016 at 17:31..
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 17:40   #5
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

make sure they have not forgotten the rubber seal ring...

take it back as it may not be the right filter... you should not have a dealy...
Old 23rd September 2016, 17:48   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

If you think the fuel tank breather might be blocked and creating a vacuum, the simple test is to take the filler cap off and let air in.

The fuel filter should be under internal pressure from the pumps, so any leaks would allow fuel to escape, not air get in.

Likewise your UBP and the fuel pipe from the rear, should be under some pressure.

Check the ITP is running - it (and UBP) runs for around 30 seconds after switch on, put your ear to the filler you should be able to hear it. There should be some positive pressure going from the pipe to the UBP input port, with no air bubbles.

How much fuel is there in the tank?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 18:00   #7
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetsunrise View Post
Hi,
thanks for the reply, as it happens i have just got back from the garage. They have replaced the first fuel filter with a different one, its appears to be a different brand as this one is painted black.

The mechanic demonstrated that the car does eventually fire up after some considerable cranking, and revs ok.

He pointed out when the engine is switched off you can hear air being drawn back into the system in the vacinity of the bulkhead fuel pump...hmm!

Is there a fuel tank breather that could be blocked?

Or i guess more likely dodgy pump?

The first thing i would do is fill it with fuel. Then check for any leaks. If the filter has been changed the pipework will have been flexed to do it, and i have had experience of a perished rubber hose to my underbonnet fuel pump leaking. In my case diesel was leaking out but it could equally be air leaking in depending on which side of the pump it is.

However, given that you have entrusted the work to a duly qualified professional it is their job to sort you out.

Why so much value is attached to full service history from garages is a mystery to me. I would far rather buy a car with no service history owned by an enthusiast.

If you decide to bite the bullet, and take your car out of the hands of the guys who appear to have broken it, then start a post asking for one of the traders on here to sort you out instead. Or get yourself along to a meet near to you as for sure someone will sort you out.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 18:30   #8
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetsunrise View Post
Hi, I have a lovely 2003 Rover 75 CDTI Auto with 106000 miles on the clock. Took it into my local garage for a Service, Oil change, Air and Fuel filter. Went to pick the car up from the garage and noticed it was a little more hesitant to start than usual, Anyway drove the half a mile home in heavy traffic without any problems.

Came out an hour later and the car cranked over but refused to start. I rang the RAC and he said there was a problem with the Fuel filter, he removed it, it was half full of fuel and a lot of air.
He refitted it and purged it and got the car to start. But after stopping the engine, it again refused to start. The RAC advised, air ingress into fuel filter, return to garage.

Managed to limp the car back to the garage, it drove totaly gutless and wouldnt rev above 2000RPM in park.
The garage are struggling to diagnose the problem, it was running fine until they did the service. I will add, that about a week before the service there was one time when the car took a little more turning over than usual to start, but it was just the once, and subsequently it started as normal. But i am now wondering if this was a sign of something failing.
The garage say the fuel that is coming into the fuel filter is frothy with a lot of air in it.
Any suggestions as to the cause of the problem?

Thanks.
The advice here is to take the car back and get the garage to sort it out, ask them to talk you through EXACTLY what they did and didn't do, as I said before most garages just dont know these cars, they don't have the correct diagnostic equipment and unless in obvious they will make more problems than solve.

How much fuel was in the tank when you left it with the garage, if less than a quarter, then your in-tank pump is probably failed, check and double check that the low pressure fuel regulator, the bit that the fuel filter is screwed on is on correctly and the fuel filter is the correct one. Good luck
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 19:12   #9
velvetsunrise

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks everyone, i would agree most small garages just dont know the ins and outs of theses cars. The fuel tanks is just over half full, i always keep it topped up, and i have not noticed any fuel leaks.

I suspect they have disturbed something that was perhaps already on its way, maybe a pipe near the Bulk head fuel pump. As you say, it shouldnt be too difficult to pinpoint the source of the air ingress, as it is making an audible noise when the engine is switched off, though you do have to get really close to hear it.

I will pass on your suggestions to the garage as they do seem quite stumped by what could just be as simple as a perished pipe.

I live in hope.

Cheers.
Old 9th January 2021, 19:42   #10
Teranchelope
Regular poster

Rover 75 Facelift 54 plate saloon

Default Fuel fikter sensor fail

I am having starting problem. Tapped top of under bonnet fuel filter with long screwdriver and it started. Took top plastic cover off and found potting sealant like jelly and bubbles coming up past sensor. Sensor has small pipe going through very small black ring, careful not to loose this if pressure spurts! Happened when taking off clamp bar over sensor. Luckily I had a spare complete filter unit from old cdti. Still won't start easily but maybe leak at rail pressure sensor as pressure voltage drops after running engine and turning off. Also have leakback on all injectors at ignition 2 ubp only. 1 is refurbed so assume some leakback before starting is normal?
Teranchelope is offline   Reply With Quote