Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th March 2007, 13:48   #1
The_Monk
I really should get out more.......

-

Default Linux and Networking

Ok, I failed on the windows networking! Can share my internet access but not files or printing which is a pain. However, I have two more PC's that I'd like to set up and neither has any operating software. Can't afford two licences for windows so was going to opt for linux. How hard is configuring the network settings in linux? I've never used linux before but have seen people using it and it looks good. If i eventually get my windows network sorted can i add the two computers using linux? The one PC using linux will have the printers linked into it (Drivers Permitting I Expect) having failed doing it on windows is it going to be a problem sorting it on linux?

Thanks for taking the time to answer!
The_Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 15:52   #2
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

What have you done to enable Printing in Windows?
Are you wireless or 10/100 Cat 5 Connections?
Mixing O/S's on Networks unless all working properly, and you know what your doing (no offence meant or implied) can be a another problem.
Lastly how have you gone about seting up Network?
Just might be easier to check through your process.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 18:51   #3
The_Monk

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
What have you done to enable Printing in Windows?
Are you wireless or 10/100 Cat 5 Connections?
Mixing O/S's on Networks unless all working properly, and you know what your doing (no offence meant or implied) can be a another problem.
Lastly how have you gone about seting up Network?
Just might be easier to check through your process.
I did post up the problem earlier last month and followed some advice from Keith. One of the Pc's is wired and one is wireless. I tried the windows setup for the network and although sharing the internet is fine I can't share files or printers. Keith gave me a few settings to try but to no avail! Just wondered if i'd have better luck with linux.

I have no knowledge at networking i'm afraid!
Old 5th March 2007, 20:08   #4
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

You really don't want to start playing with Linux
I download the latest distro every now and then for a laugh have a play but soon get anoyed with its limitations.

Imho it is still not a suitable mainstream alternative, it is still pure unix under the gui and when things don't quite work as expected you need fairly in depth knowledge to sort them out

But otoh that is the way to learn!

Linux may not even have suitable drivers for your hardware

Silly question about your XP setup it is XP pro isn't it, not XP home?
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 20:44   #5
JohnDotCom

Very Good Point Keith!
Old 5th March 2007, 20:57   #6
mantianak

ZT 190+ Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
You really don't want to start playing with Linux
I download the latest distro every now and then for a laugh have a play but soon get anoyed with its limitations.

Imho it is still not a suitable mainstream alternative, it is still pure unix under the gui and when things don't quite work as expected you need fairly in depth knowledge to sort them out

But otoh that is the way to learn!

Linux may not even have suitable drivers for your hardware

Silly question about your XP setup it is XP pro isn't it, not XP home?
I think linux is far better than windows. Shame there's a few prorams I need in xp otherwise I would be 100% KDE SuSE user.

Linux take a while to get used to and much more secure. If you are using wireless and lan adapter (or any other hardware) which isn't supported by linux you will need to use something called ndiswrapper. It will use drivers for windows.

Keith, have you tried the xgl 3D cude desktop? That's pretty impressive!
http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/features/xgl/
mantianak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 21:15   #7
nairda
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon ConnSE CDTi 2003 in luvverly Moonstone Green, van Aaken SmartBox/RoverRon Synergy

To enable file and printer sharing under XP, you'll need to go to your Network Connections, (Start|Control Panel|Network Connections), on the host PC. There should be a listing for your LAN connection. If you right-click and select Properties, under the General tab, there should be a list under the heading, "This connection uses the following items".

The check box next to File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks should be ticked. You should then be able to share files by enabling sharing in the Properties dialog for the relevant folder/drive and mapping the folder/drive from the Tools|Map Network Drive dialog.

For the printer, go to Control Panel|Printers and Faxes on the client PC and from the printer tasks options, select Add Printer. It should be a simple matter of following the wizard.

I use a print server on my home network and it allows Her Indoors to use the printer independently. In that scenario, you would have to add the printer on both machines using the steps above.
nairda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2007, 21:25   #8
JohnDotCom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Monk View Post
I did post up the problem earlier last month and followed some advice from Keith. One of the Pc's is wired and one is wireless. I tried the windows setup for the network and although sharing the internet is fine I can't share files or printers. Keith gave me a few settings to try but to no avail! Just wondered if i'd have better luck with linux.

I have no knowledge at networking i'm afraid!
I dont think Linux will be your answer unless you are into Computers a Bit, if you are, you might as well set up a Unix System in preference to Linux which I dont find "Complete" and whatever you do before changing OS make sure you have or can get the drivers for all your Equipment and that your Programs/software will run on selected OS..

What XP version are you running, might have missed your answer, is it Home Version or Pro version, as that could well be one of the main Problems?
Old 6th March 2007, 14:27   #9
The_Monk

-

I am using XP Pro on the computers I mentioned previously. Can't afford another two licenses for the two computers mentioned in the first post, hence my thinking of linux. I have access to another computer with XP home on but its not mine.
Old 6th March 2007, 14:30   #10
JohnDotCom

With XP Pro SP2 Networking should work fine, it is a shame you are not in my area because this really needs to be sorted on Site, if you have set it up Properly using the MS wizards, I cannot say why it is not working.
I will find the other Posts you mention and see if anything springs to light.
Sorry at the moment cannot be more help.