Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th November 2020, 20:02   #41
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

There is a sealing tarry liquid sold for the building trade to seal fissures around various components on roofs. Consistency of treacle and once in place semi-sets.

It sticks like the proverbial poo to a blanket as the saying goes.-----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2020, 20:02   #42
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Yes it would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
Would Tiger Seal be a better bet than Captain Tolley's?

(Maybe Tolley's would flow into the smaller cracks a bit better - I don't know because I've never used it )
Tiger seal is basically windscreen bonding agent, it will fill those gaps very well just like it did on my ZT last week. It has to be very dry and clean, I removed the wiper linkage and motor to lightly blowtorch the area dry. I then put on a rubber glove and put some seal on the fingertip and then pushed it into the gaps. It'll leave a nice seal and can be painted over. I also used it under the rubber drains that go through at either side, they're now waterproof and hold a little tiny ring of water round the edge of the rubber, everything else has drained away. It's obvious now that water goes under the edges of the drain tubes as it's never held the tiny ring before, it was getting into the car no doubt, the cabin has never felt as dry as it does now with no morning moisture anywhere inside.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2020, 10:15   #43
TriumphStag
Gets stuck in

MK1 Connie SE 2.0CDTi Tourer

Quote:
Would Tiger Seal be a better bet than Captain Tolley's?

(Maybe Tolley's would flow into the smaller cracks a bit better - I don't know because I've never used it )
Those cracks are too big for Tolleys, it is for very small hairline cracks. Tiger seal is more like a sealant that you would push into the cracks to fill them, tiger seal is a very strong bond and remains slightly flexible, and can be painted over if required.
TriumphStag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2020, 12:51   #44
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Question What opens the flap?

Quote:
(The fresh air flap) .... was covered in an adhesive foam sheet which was disintegrating and coming off in sticky globs of gooey grey mess. I've scraped the rest of it off to stop it getting sucked in and clogging the heater & vents etc. The foam is supposed to seal the doorway (29W x 10H x 10D centimetres approx).

Slightly better pic of the flap taken with the camera lower down in the engine bay.

I'm going to try putting a new foam sheet on the flap but ideally that means getting the old backing sheet off first - it's pretty well stuck on so it'll take some shifting.

Does anyone know what sort of mechanism operates the flap??? I don't want to bust the hinge or the mechanism (if there is one). I don't want to take the heater out either!

NB. The hinge must be part of the heater assembly, where the 21 pointer is in this diagram.

Last edited by Blink; 9th December 2020 at 17:43..
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2020, 18:12   #45
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Default Yes.

Quote:
Slightly better pic of the flap taken with the camera lower down in the engine bay.

I'm going to try putting a new foam sheet on the flap but ideally that means getting the old backing sheet off first - it's pretty well stuck on so it'll take some shifting.

Does anyone know what sort of mechanism operates the flap??? I don't want to bust the hinge or the mechanism (if there is one). I don't want to take the heater out either!

NB. The hinge must be part of the heater assembly, where the 21 pointer is in this diagram.

There are four screws that hold the rear housing of that flap in place, it has the motor bolted just under it. The housing will come off as one unit with the flap inside from the rear under the dash. It's fiddly but doable with a magnetic screwdriver and a magnetic torch to light it up, you also have to be as flexible as Simone Biles!
Old 10th December 2020, 10:16   #46
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
There are four screws that hold the rear housing of that flap in place, it has the motor bolted just under it. The housing will come off as one unit with the flap inside from the rear under the dash. It's fiddly but doable with a magnetic screwdriver and a magnetic torch to light it up, you also have to be as flexible as Simone Biles!
Do you mean the flap and its housing unit will come out without taking the heater out and without taking the dashboard apart?

You haven't got any pics have you?

Edit (I just found this).

There are some pics of heater assembly JEC102683 in this eBay advert.

The 1st & 2nd pics from the left show the rectangular plastic duct that I can see from the engine bay. The flap must be that grey speckled thing I can see through the first column of 4 holes in the 12-hole grille on the left side of the assembly (1st pic). The hinge must be the thin vertical rod operated by the metal thing with the white grease on it.

Are the 4 screws you mentioned visible in the 1st & 2nd pics?

Edit 2

Quote:
The hinge must be the thin vertical rod operated by the thing with the white grease on it.
I wonder if the vertical rod could be withdrawn downwards if I took the small screw out - the one that locks it to the thing with the white grease on? If so it might release the flap from the hinge and I might be able to slide the flap forward into the LH plenum.

Last edited by Blink; 10th December 2020 at 11:58..
Old 11th December 2020, 08:19   #47
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Default The flap.

Quote:
Do you mean the flap and its housing unit will come out without taking the heater out and without taking the dashboard apart?

You haven't got any pics have you?

Edit (I just found this).

There are some pics of heater assembly JEC102683 in this eBay advert.

The 1st & 2nd pics from the left show the rectangular plastic duct that I can see from the engine bay. The flap must be that grey speckled thing I can see through the first column of 4 holes in the 12-hole grille on the left side of the assembly (1st pic). The hinge must be the thin vertical rod operated by the metal thing with the white grease on it.

Are the 4 screws you mentioned visible in the 1st & 2nd pics?

Edit 2

I wonder if the vertical rod could be withdrawn downwards if I took the small screw out - the one that locks it to the thing with the white grease on? If so it might release the flap from the hinge and I might be able to slide the flap forward into the LH plenum.
It's controlled by the motor on the housing, the screws are on the four corners of the housing and it should come off without taking the heater box. I suggest you get a small light up there and then take some pictures with your phone/camera to see the screws, you can then do it by touch when you know where they are.
Old 12th December 2020, 09:14   #48
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
It's controlled by the motor on the housing, the screws are on the four corners of the housing and it should come off without taking the heater box. I suggest you get a small light up there and then take some pictures with your phone/camera to see the screws, you can then do it by touch when you know where they are.
This is the best pic I can get - it's the view with the glovebox out. Are any of the four screws visible here?

Old 16th December 2020, 17:52   #49
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
..... Are any of the four screws visible here?
No, they're not.
Old 17th December 2020, 12:50   #50
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Maybe there were two different types of heater assembly - one with four screws securing the intake housing and one with three.

Here's a pic of an assembly out of the car - it obviously had three screws.

The only screw I can get to is no1.

The other problem is the front flange of the housing sits in a deep recess in the soundproofing which means it has to be lifted away from the bulkhead first (by about an inch) before it can be slid away leftwards from the heater assy.