Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st December 2020, 18:20   #1
OddSox
Gets stuck in

2002. Rover 75 saloon club se. 1.8 vvc. Moonstone green.

Default None Rover - Ford OBD related.

Hi folks.

Been a while since i have been on here but i would like your help please.

Ford Fiesta MK6 2006. 1.25.

Had a miss fire...Sorted that after removing the ORIGINAL 14 year old spark plugs.!

Engine light was flashing before - then went to just being on, after putting new plugs in. (Engine runs fine now.)

My local mechanic plugged in his OBD and turned off the light.

All good and well but the light has now come back on again.

Iv'e checked everything that i can think of...Coil Pack, Various sensors etc...All seem okay.

I'm thinking of buying an OBD scanner to turn off the MIL...?

But what would cause it to keep coming back on?

Thanks fellas...
Old 1st December 2020, 18:59   #2
Synchromesh
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Many years ago my son's 2007 Focus 1.6 kept cutting out. He tried new plugs/leads but it was still cutting out. He fitted a new coil pack but it was still cutting out. I noticed that the three LT leads going into the coil pack were under tension and the way they were clipped resulted in fatigue where they entered the coil pack connector. With the engine running I pulled and pushed on the wires and the problem came and went as I did so. The fatigue had severed the copper strands in one or two of the LT wires but the plastic insulation was intact. I cut the connector off, opened it up and extended each of the wires by a few inches so I could form a strain relieving loop at the connector. The car was perfect after this repair and never gave any more trouble. I think the 1.6 Focus engine is a larger capacity version of the 1.25 Fiesta engine. I am not saying you have this problem but it is worth a quick look.
Synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2020, 19:03   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

I agree with the above post because there could be a problem with the 14 YEAR OLD LEADS TOO.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2020, 19:11   #4
It runs
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

I have a fiesta 1.25 . For my driving school .

Missfire and light on .
If you haven't already checked .
Pull each lead off the coil . ( Engine switched off obviously)
Look inside the coil for corrosion . absolutely notorious .
New coil from local factors £25 cured.
Light went out by it's self after fitting.
Have a look anyway
Old 1st December 2020, 20:52   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

A learned friend tells me you should investigate the core plugs in the head, these can rot through letting water onto the leads and plugs.

I would have a look there first..
Old 1st December 2020, 21:02   #6
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Maybe the misfire has caused a problem with the Catalyst or a Lambda. Unburnt fuel can cause havoc to these sensors.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2020, 07:44   #7
OddSox
Gets stuck in

Thanks for all the messages. The OBD scan reported that there was a miss-fire on cylinder 3, but that was cured after fitting the new spark plugs.

Good shout about the Core plugs. There was slight evidence of the top core plugs leaking so i replaced them both and it's now bone dry inside the spark plug wells.

I replace the air filter and changed the oil and filter.

The car runs extremely smoothly now but i will take a closer inspection of the coil pack and leads and the catalyst and lambda sensors. ( I'm now thinking this is where the problem lies.)

I know it's an old car but it's been very well looked after at some point, just not in the last year or so and i want to bring it back to it's former glory so to speak.

One thing iv'e noticed about these MK6 fiesta's is you hardly ever see one with any rust. Iv'e crawled all over and underneath this one and i can't find any corrosion anywhere.!

Thanks again great advice as usual. I did have a nosey on the various Ford forums but the advice was woeful at best and they don't seem a very friendly lot, unlike here.

I will update as soon iv'e got it sorted.

Last edited by OddSox; 2nd December 2020 at 08:43..
OddSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2020, 22:08   #8
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

There was an issue with some older Fords with the washer jets leaking, which incidentally is just above the spark plugs.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2020, 13:46   #9
OddSox
Gets stuck in

Quick update folks.

The problem was definitely the front 02 sensor. (Pre Cat.)

I went to 3 of my local car spares shops and they quoted me between £50-75 for an aftermarket sensor.

I had a look on ebay and found them to be a lot cheaper at £12.00 with a 3 year warranty.

Iv'e also had to buy the special removal tool (£5.99) to get the bluddy thing out.! (all it is, is a 22mm socket with a grove cut out down one side to acomodate the wires. (Nifty little tool though.)

The sensor was a nasty little thing to get out, took some real effort to loosen it and access isn't great as it's right at the back of the engine.(Again... it's probably never been changed in 14 years )

The engine warning light has gone out now so i'm confident that was the problem.

Sworks. Thank you, iv'e read about that problem with the washer jets but mine are sealed with a rubber grommet and don't appear to leak. But agreed, that is a bad design with the air box situated like it is. Any leaks will go directly into the spark plug wells. I will keep an eye on it.

All great advice that steered me in the right direction. Thank you to all.