Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th September 2020, 18:12   #1
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Default Which rear upper arms to buy?

Hi all, I finally got around to taking my spare rear upper arms to the sandblasters a couple of weeks ago, and collected them today. Unfortunately they're no good, small hole in one, and definitely thinner metal in one place on the other arm, so they'll be going to the tip.

So, on to my question. Looking at Rimmers, they have 2 options, one described as OEM and the other as 'Genuine MG/Rover'. Price difference is £32 per arm, which would be nice to save if I can, as it's costing me a fair bit this year. But equally, I don't want to fit the cheaper option if the more expensive is considerably better made or something?

Has anyone else bought either of them and can comment on the quality?

I've had a subframe sandblasted too which will be getting painted next week, and then once I've got the arms and all the bolts, I'll get on with replacing it all.

Thanks
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2020, 18:44   #2
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

look for a post on here by marinabrian regarding the indian made arms. he was not impressed. try to get at least the chinese equivalent or as i remember mat has some originals in the pipeline on order ... so check with dmgrs on their quality. ... xsport
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2020, 20:17   #3
Rickshaw
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer, 2 X75 Saloon , MGTF Sunstorm

Smile Treat them

I bought two sets from DMGRS ( excellent) BUT whatever you get THE first thing to do is treat them with corrosion protection right inside as well as out. I have used products from Rustbusters (https://www.rust.co.uk/) and especially the Dinitrol range. If I want to treat or prevent rust on any particular area of the car I go back to metal , remove as much rust as possible , apply Rustbuster's FE123Converter and then apply their EM 121 Epoxy paint.
Looking under my cars the other day all Upper arms are solid with thick protection working after several years. Saw some awful Upper Arm rot from an unprotected set at car breakers the other day .
All the best.
Rickshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2020, 20:23   #4
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Thanks, as far I’m aware all the original arms at DMGRS have sold.
I’ve read the Indian made arms aren’t good, I think Brian spent a long time working on a pair to them to a state he was happy with.

I might try and phone rimmers tomorrow and enquire as to the difference.
Old 4th September 2020, 20:51   #5
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

original as in chinese oem ? i think rimmers have both the indian version and chinese. to get the manufactured original parts that were fitted to the cars when new would probably be impossible as even remanufacture nowadays is not of the same quality . my originals have been on 18 yrs and still look ok. i use the dynax products on a regular basis pre mot time but im sure they will want replacing one day but will take them to the wire before i use my spare pair i had from mats original batch at dmgrs . so lucky i have them complete with reserviced rear subframe all good to go
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2020, 20:54   #6
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
Thanks, as far I’m aware all the original arms at DMGRS have sold.
I’ve read the Indian made arms aren’t good, I think Brian spent a long time working on a pair to them to a state he was happy with.

I might try and phone rimmers tomorrow and enquire as to the difference.
I suggest you get in touch with Scott/Mat at DMGRS. I believe they are working to bring some more arms into the country from China. I have a set of those from the last lot and they are very good, and well made.
Old 6th September 2020, 19:15   #7
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

I gave Rimmers a call and have now placed an order for 2 new upper arms, 2 new lower arms, and all the bolts needed, except the couple of parts that are NLA. I've already got a new rear anti-roll bar and ARB links, plus collected my spare subframe from the blasters, so just need to get the subframe painted up, and wait for the car to come back from having the clutch done, and then spend a weekend changing it all over, and finally get it MOT'd.
Old 6th September 2020, 20:25   #8
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
I gave Rimmers a call and have now placed an order for 2 new upper arms, 2 new lower arms, and all the bolts needed, except the couple of parts that are NLA. I've already got a new rear anti-roll bar and ARB links, plus collected my spare subframe from the blasters, so just need to get the subframe painted up, and wait for the car to come back from having the clutch done, and then spend a weekend changing it all over, and finally get it MOT'd.

Hi Derrick.
Have Rimmers, supplied you with the Chinese arms ? if so did they say how many they have cheers Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2020, 21:16   #9
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Quote:
Looking at Rimmers, they have 2 options, one described as OEM and the other as 'Genuine MG/Rover'. Price difference is £32 per arm,

Not directly related to upper arms but what exactly is the difference between OEM and genuine MG/Rover? Surely, if it is not genuine MG/Rover, it is aftermarket.
I currently have an issue with Rimmers over a so-called OEM rear hub wfich, as it is a turned steel part rather than a casting, is not a part that would have been fitted as Original Equipment by the car Manufacturers, surely the definitition of OEM
Rimmers charge considerably more for this so-called OEM part than they do for the same part advertised as "aftermarket". Surely even an aftermarket item must meet the specification of the original if not the quality
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2020, 22:12   #10
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post

Hi Derrick.
Have Rimmers, supplied you with the Chinese arms ? if so did they say how many they have cheers Arctic.
Tbh the bloke on the phone wasn't hugely helpful, all he could tell me was the OEM were made by 'An original Equipment manufacturer', not specifically THE original equipment manufacturer. I questioned the definition of 'MG/Rover' but he couldn't tell me. All he did say was that looking at the records they'd sold plenty and none had come back. I did state I wasn't interested in the Indian made arms, and that if they arrive and turn out to be the Indian ones, I'd be returning them...
They should arrive in the next few days, so I'll update when they're here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
Not directly related to upper arms but what exactly is the difference between OEM and genuine MG/Rover? Surely, if it is not genuine MG/Rover, it is aftermarket.
I currently have an issue with Rimmers over a so-called OEM rear hub wfich, as it is a turned steel part rather than a casting, is not a part that would have been fitted as Original Equipment by the car Manufacturers, surely the definitition of OEM
Rimmers charge considerably more for this so-called OEM part than they do for the same part advertised as "aftermarket". Surely even an aftermarket item must meet the specification of the original if not the quality
I did question what the definitions were. All he could say was that OEM was that the part was made by a company/factory, that makes and supplies OEM parts to manufacturers. Not necessarily the OEM that originally supplied Rover. He couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me exactly what MGRover parts actually were, just said that they were original MGRover parts. I asked if that meant parts supplied by XPart, or parts bought up when MGR went bust. He looked and said the records didn't show when they were brought in, but that they'd sold a lot and not had any complaints/returns. I'll update with photos of the parts when they arrive.