Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd October 2018, 04:53   #11
75c
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I spent 18 months travelling. I self funded through a mixture of working as I went and savings from work I did before I went. I wouldn't change it for the world. It hasnt hindered my career, it's given me a better understanding of just about everything.

Any parent should encourage their twenty something to travel if they get the chance. My parents never really had the option, but travel is cheaper now, accomodation through things like hostels and air b'n'b can often be as close to free as matters.
75c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2018, 06:16   #12
NigelOBB
This is my second home

04 Rover 75 Contemporary SE - 53 Rover 75 Connoisseur -94 Mercedes W140 - 72 VW Beetle 1300

Best thing I every did, it’s got to be done. Swmbo and I did it without very little planning or funds. It’s a great growing up experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you've been up to.

NigelOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2018, 09:26   #13
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
I must live on a different planet, taking a year off from what Not an option to any of my kids, or me, or my parents Sorry Ian, just can't get my head around a 20 something swanning off on the "Grand Tour" & returning to a guaranteed job just p##ses of the young people trying to get a job in the first place

Please forgive my unsympathetic rant, but I live in the real world (as I see it) my daughter took several years out as she couldn't find work, now she's, through hard work, attained a nursing position in the area's general Hospital Not knocking your son's decision, just failing to understand it
I am of the same mindset. I also see no sense in the type of gap-year activities where youngsters go to African countries to build huts for people using traditional methods. Not only does travel pollute the environment, they ultimately deprive the locals of these building jobs.

My advice to my two teenagers has always been that there are enough charitable opportunities within the UK to build character. Spend a year helping the homeless etc. whilst living at home, alternatively give a year's earnings to a soup kitchen or food bank.

Volunteering for the National Trust would be like going on a holiday to a beautiful place!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2018, 19:57   #14
neilll
Gets stuck in

MG ZT,MG ZT-T

We area long time dead!
Peeps should do want they want with there lives, why tie yourself down with a mortgage for 25 years or more (like me, though I have no desire to see the back- end of some countries). You have no hold on young adult children, let them fly and enjoy in there exploits through regular updates through the usual social media sites.
Neil
neilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2018, 21:03   #15
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilll View Post
We area long time dead!
Peeps should do want they want with there lives, why tie yourself down with a mortgage for 25 years or more (like me, though I have no desire to see the back- end of some countries). You have no hold on young adult children, let them fly and enjoy in there exploits through regular updates through the usual social media sites.
Neil
Agreed - travel broadens the mind.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2019, 11:27   #16
OliverTailor
Spammer. Banned.

Rover 75 Saloo

I believe life experiences are more important than the corporate ladder in the long run. I think this is a great idea to do it while the life situation allows you to as you may not get the chance again. Personally, I am am 31 in 3 weeks, and I'm also going to take a gap year to travel to Australia. BTW the spam links I inserted into my forums posts have been removed and I am now banned.

Last edited by OliverTailor; 30th March 2019 at 09:53..
OliverTailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2019, 11:49   #17
operamagorum
Loves to post

BMW 330i Touring

A while back, my daughter quit her job, sold her house and went travelling. She spent three months as an English language teacher in Mongolia - the pay was lousy, but kept her in food and lodgings. She loved New Zealand, caught up with relatives in Australia, came back, found a job and is now a senior manager.
We always regret the things that we didn't do, not the things we did.
Geoff
operamagorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2019, 13:25   #18
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
I am of the same mindset. I also see no sense in the type of gap-year activities where youngsters go to African countries to build huts for people using traditional methods. Not only does travel pollute the environment, they ultimately deprive the locals of these building jobs.

My advice to my two teenagers has always been that there are enough charitable opportunities within the UK to build character. Spend a year helping the homeless etc. whilst living at home, alternatively give a year's earnings to a soup kitchen or food bank.

Volunteering for the National Trust would be like going on a holiday to a beautiful place!
I certainly would not volunteer for the National Trust who are sat on over a billion quid of reserves thanks.
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2019, 15:17   #19
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Greg View Post
I certainly would not volunteer for the National Trust who are sat on over a billion quid of reserves thanks.

That's fair enough. I really admire the work that National Trust and English Heritage do to protect the heritage of this country and its people.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2019, 16:00   #20
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

As a late graduate myself, I'd say support your son in his dream (I don't mean financially) As a professional who has worked continuously since graduation a year out won't put him at any disadvantage. I didn't graduate until I was 40 - starting late I immediately bought our first house as soon as possible.

With your son at 24 it's a different situation: without any other obligations or responsibilities aside his job, then why not? Doubtless he'll spend most of his current savings + not saving anything for the year. So he'll have 3 years? of savings to catch up on to buy a house etc... - I had zero money (for such frivoulous things as purchasing houses) until after I graduated. Luckily I didn't have to save for a deposit due to some small inheritance. Although there's little that I regret - and nothing I'd do differently. If I had gone to university earlier I might well have gone to see the world myself.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote