Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st December 2018, 09:58   #11
Tourist
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
Thats good to hear, just out of interest how do you find the Falkens wear mileage wise?

It's difficult to be precise about this as I don't keep records.

I think the last ones that I changed were on the back of the Rover 45 and they'd done 35 to 40k miles, but the fronts didn't do so well for understandable reasons.

I do remember being disappointed by a set on the XJS but that was front wheel alignment that caused uneven wear and that's my fault for not keeping an eye on it.

It's probably fair to say that they don't wear as well as some, but not to an excessive extent. My driving style tends to be pretty kind to tyres so they last long enough for me not to raise an eyebrow when they need replacement ;-)

The ones on the back of my 75 have done about 10k miles and are holding up very well so far.

Good luck with them!
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2018, 10:40   #12
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourist View Post
It's difficult to be precise about this as I don't keep records.

I think the last ones that I changed were on the back of the Rover 45 and they'd done 35 to 40k miles, but the fronts didn't do so well for understandable reasons.

I do remember being disappointed by a set on the XJS but that was front wheel alignment that caused uneven wear and that's my fault for not keeping an eye on it.

It's probably fair to say that they don't wear as well as some, but not to an excessive extent. My driving style tends to be pretty kind to tyres so they last long enough for me not to raise an eyebrow when they need replacement ;-)

The ones on the back of my 75 have done about 10k miles and are holding up very well so far.

Good luck with them!

OK cheers, To be honest if I get 20,000 plus I'll be happy, my recollection of other tyres on my previous 75 were pretty low especially on the back. But to be fair as I've mentioned I've never had any sort of wheel realignment on any car that I've owned until the other month on this one, so hopefully I may get a little longer use this time round.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2018, 12:46   #13
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Rover 75 Saloon V6 2.5 1999 - Rover 25 1.4 2002 - Rover 214i cab 1994 - Rover P5b coupe 1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
Thats good to hear, just out of interest how do you find the Falkens wear mileage wise?
In France Falken Sincera SN 832 (195/65/15) is given 4.2 out of 5.
Economy = C, Wet ground = A, Noise = 71dB.

Personnally I put Dunlop on my 25 & Goodyear on my 75.
Economy = B, Wet ground = A, Noise = 68 (Dunlop) / 69dB (Goodyear), given 4.2 as well.

Best would be Michelin given 4.4 but Economy = C, Wet ground = B & Noise = 69dB. Consumers choice looks weird as several have said here!

But the size being different, advices, figures & ranking may likely change.
  • This vehicle was the 2,032nd 75 in Atlantic Blue Pearlescent (code: JEY) to be made out of 2,572 Atlantic Blue Pearlescent 75s
Dorchester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2018, 13:32   #14
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I do 5000 miles a year max. I potter about. I rarely buy tyres but if I do, they usually cost me £60 - £70 fitted. I'm currently running some tyres and wheels that I bought, because they were there when I needed a full size spare, so bought all four. It's horses for courses really. When I had my haulage business, I ran Michelins because they outlasted everything else and the tyre company bought back (Yes!) the used ones as they could get good money for them for remoulding! They were hard (long lasting) but would break away if you pushed them too hard (so drive carefully). Most folks who talk of "ditch finders" will have a history of ditch finding! My opinion only.
Old 31st December 2018, 13:45   #15
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
ok here is a pinch of salt story. Some years ago I had Bridgestone 020 tyres on my Suzuki 1200 Bandit motorbike. At the time I did not know the tyres were a problem and when they wore out replaced them with the same. They were terrifying. If I went into a corner I was never sure if I was going to come out but I only knew this once I changed them for something else. It was like riding along the top of a round pipe and the bike trying to slip down the left or the right. After a few years when the tyres needed changing again the shop did not have 020's but 023's so these were fitted.

If anyone else were to say this, I perhaps like you would think they were talking tosh. I rode 50 yards and the bike was transformed. It rode straight, it made me feel safe in corners, I could relax and so perhaps some comments are truly how people feel.

Perhaps some of the ratings the tyre companies show against a tyre can be taken with a pinch of salt I don't know but as a biker I perhaps have a better appreciation of what can happen when tyres lose grip then someone that has only ever driven a car and so for that reason, performance is probably top of my list.

I don't drive to the limit of the tyre and I don't want to be driving all the time near the limit of the tyre (low grip limit tyre) because if I'm always near the limit, what's left for an emergency or poor conditions? I want there to be plenty left in reserve for such times. I compare this to worn tyres, I don't wait for legal limit before changing them as I could be out and about in very heavy rain, I change them early so I know no matter what tomorrow is like I still have a decent tyre below me.
Perhaps the gap in front of you when you drive is another example, leave a big gap, planet of time to stop. Leave a small gap and it can be scary but if you never have to stop abruptly you never know that small gap is a problem. don't wait to find out

macafee2
Bikers are much more tuned in to the road surface, tyre grip, pressures etc etc.

Everyone should ride a motorbike for at least six months, they would make better car drivers.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2018, 14:33   #16
ZedTeeT
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
Bikers are much more tuned in to the road surface, tyre grip, pressures etc etc.

Everyone should ride a motorbike for at least six months, they would make better car drivers.
If they live long enough.............
85/C Capri 2.8i Special. Mine 29+ years.
82/X Talbot Tagora SX V6. Restoration project.
11/11 Hyundai I Load CRDi. Van....... nuff said.
ZedTeeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2018, 15:07   #17
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedTeeT View Post
If they live long enough.............
Sounds like you never rode a motorcycle.

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2018, 15:49   #18
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorchester2 View Post
In France Falken Sincera SN 832 (195/65/15) is given 4.2 out of 5.
Economy = C, Wet ground = A, Noise = 71dB.

Personnally I put Dunlop on my 25 & Goodyear on my 75.
Economy = B, Wet ground = A, Noise = 68 (Dunlop) / 69dB (Goodyear), given 4.2 as well.

Best would be Michelin given 4.4 but Economy = C, Wet ground = B & Noise = 69dB. Consumers choice looks weird as several have said here!

But the size being different, advices, figures & ranking may likely change.
The Falken FK510 in the size I am buying 225 45 17 is C+A 69 decibels

During my brief research into all things tyre it did become apparent that the better wet grip rating you got the less likely it was to be accompanied by a high economy rating due to the better grip putting up more rolling resistance. There are one or two tyres knocking about with a B+A rating as you demonstrate but not many that I could see and to be honest I think that a C+A rating will be fine for me given my previous budget tyre history.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2018, 17:00   #19
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Uniroyal Rainsport 3. very very good in the wet British weather. I've got these on the Zafira 225/45 R17 and they have done 24 months or approx. 15k miles, just about 4mm left now and will be replacing them soon. Yes they aren't the best in the dry, but I'm in Devon not Spain, and I can't notice the difference as I'm driving on a public highway not the race track.

I bought these:
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=282357 Rainexperts (different tyre sizes but same sort of spec for the 75 last spring. Fitted them in April for 2 months of continuous sunshine! before putting the 16" unions back on with more of a budget tyre that the car came with. I put them back on in October for my holiday in France and have been nothing but superb at motorway speeds in some very heavy rain recently.
I'm more than likely to get these for my van, in XL, when the time comes to replace the Bridgestone turanza T001s it is using, which in honesty have been perfectly good for the last 2 years, which cost about £50 each.
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2018, 19:03   #20
neilll
Gets stuck in

MG ZT,MG ZT-T

If I could get 15K out of Rainsport 3`s I`d have another set tomorrow! I got 9K on my 190 (manual) and I don`t drive it hard!
neilll is offline   Reply With Quote