Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th November 2020, 23:40   #11
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogodon View Post
To the vast majority of new electric car drivers the cost and life of very expensive batteries and the cars residuals at 5+ yrs will not be a concern, as like the vast majority of new cars today they will be company, leased or on PCP.
If that is indeed the case, i would think that would leave a vast majority of prospective private customers who are not part of any company plan out of the market for electric vehicles. Dont think it would make much financial sense for any company to exclude that much of their market.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2020, 07:15   #12
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Went to an open day at Lexus 2 years ago and Lexus only do hybrid petrol cars now and have done for 2 years. They had the start on hybrid long ago and sold their "old" technology to BMW.
In the 8 years of doing hybrid cars only 1 car came back with a faulty battery (at this dealership)unit and it was 7 years old. The cost was something like £1800 to replace and the factory paid 80% of the cost.
The only way you will get people into electric cars are if they are affordable. In a few years time it will only be the law producing these cars not buying them so it will be many moons until all the diesel and petrol alone cars will be gone. Taxes will need to be raised and it will of course be on the electric they use.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2020, 09:13   #13
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Also...

I reckon 2029 will be a record year for car sales, people will buy cars that run on fossil fuels and will last many years, that will make it much harder to get electric cars to the masses.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2020, 09:52   #14
euro44
Avid contributor

mg zt-t 226th made from total of 396

I would put money on the long term plan ( should something so alien to uk governments actually exist ) being the total phasing out of personal transport. A.I. will control goods distribution via drones and fixed rail systems, people will hardly ever need to remove themselves from couches with built in food medicine and stimulation . Of course only the really wealthy ( the 1% who control 95% of world capital ) will be alive to enjoy this brave new world, the rest of us will have succumbed to increasingly more lethal viruses coming from industrial farming methods.
euro44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2020, 10:49   #15
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

I believe the Amazons, Googles and tech makers are loving this pandemic, making more money than they could have ever imagined. They dont mind it going on for as long as they can. As one tech boss was heard to say”never let a good crisis go to waist”
When you see where all this tech is heading , or they are heading us, it is obvious that the vast majority of us are all being herded into a controlled existance, knowing who we are, where we are and what were doing every minute of the day.
Whilst understand the present restrictions due to health of the community, when this all ends it will be interesting to see what personal freedoms are not returned back to the people.
only time will tell and if anyone will actually notice ?
All we need now is real good solar flare which will fry everything electrical, now that will be interesting!!

Last edited by genpk; 19th November 2020 at 10:54..
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2020, 22:50   #16
Kearton
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro44 View Post
I would put money on the long term plan ( should something so alien to uk governments actually exist) being the total phasing out of personal transport.
That would only work if people's jobs are (or can be moved to) near to where they live or within reach of a convenient public transport route. With the cost of housing and rent being so high in some areas, that cannot be the case.
Kearton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2020, 17:36   #17
euro44
Avid contributor

mg zt-t 226th made from total of 396

A.I. will take over most work functions I think. Its already happening in manufacturing, delivery of goods, financial services inc banking, some health inc surgery , elderly care ( see japan ) etc. my grown up kids work full time from home like many others . The corona virus proves home working suits many people and corporations. food production for a growing and ageing population will eventually require roads and transport parking areas to be replaced with aquaponic/hydroponic factories, operated by guess what ---- A.I. soooooo glad I will be dead before this brave new world will sneak up on us.
euro44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2020, 19:13   #18
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Having a look at this on the coldest days of winter makes you wonder how, adding all the cars to it, will be possible!