Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th February 2021, 20:13   #61
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldie View Post
Any body have any information about the Skoda Superb? Good or bad, all input welcomed.
A customer had one and was very pleased with it until there was a problem with the DSG gearbox that a lot of them have. If memory serves me correctly the gearbox has to be serviced every 30k or less on short journeys and the cost was several hundred £'s. About 3 months after a service and the car being about a year out of warranty the warning light came on so it went into the main dealer. The conclusion was it needed to come out for further investigation. Anyway several weeks later and the remedial work being done he was presented with a bill for £3k. This on a 4 year old car with less than 60k miles on it. A friend who repairs gearboxes for a living reckons modern autos are all made of Tissue paper and chocolate.

On a positive side it was an amazing mile muncher and a standard service was a fixed price at a main dealer. Basically an Audi A6.

Last edited by SCP440; 13th February 2021 at 20:41..
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2021, 21:12   #62
oldie
Loves to post

Connoisseur SE v8 auto '54

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Very spacious and very comfortable but....

Some of the petrol engines are the E888 - worth looking up which generation as some are rather less than reliable.

The diesels can caught up in the emissions scandal.

You'll need to get very specific about exactly which engine/spec is fitted and if it's been "fixed" following the emissions debacle.

Good Luck.
Elegance specification, petrol v6 or 2.0 diesel. Either something around 2012 or maybe a little newer depending on mileage/condition. The v6 seems to be harder to find. Are you aware of any particular issues with those, other than fuel consumption. Estates seem popular, saloon has a singular rear end but that wouldn't dissuade me if a good example was available. Can't see me not having a 75, I've a yen for another 2.5 v6, but never say never.
oldie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 08:46   #63
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Some very dodgy gearboxes around these days. Bearings made of cheese. Very fussy on oil choices and regular changes. Auto boxes that have harsh changes or lose drive completely. A proper minefield!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Old 14th February 2021, 09:51   #64
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
A customer had one and was very pleased with it until there was a problem with the DSG gearbox that a lot of them have. If memory serves me correctly the gearbox has to be serviced every 30k or less on short journeys and the cost was several hundred £'s. About 3 months after a service and the car being about a year out of warranty the warning light came on so it went into the main dealer. The conclusion was it needed to come out for further investigation. Anyway several weeks later and the remedial work being done he was presented with a bill for £3k. This on a 4 year old car with less than 60k miles on it. A friend who repairs gearboxes for a living reckons modern autos are all made of Tissue paper and chocolate.

On a positive side it was an amazing mile muncher and a standard service was a fixed price at a main dealer. Basically an Audi A6.
I drive auto's commercially and we have quite a few that have gone past Merc's service life limit and still working. My Jatco was great too.

DSG oil and filter change every 3 years or 60k. Very similar to th Jatco apart from you carnt change its filter easily and all its oil...

As for DSG it says this.

Are DSG gearboxes reliable?
In most cases, both a six-speed and seven-speed DSG gearbox will be as reliable as any other gearbox. Some owners have reported that older gearboxes have been prone to the occasional failure, but the newer boxes seem to have overcome these. Faults included noisy bearings, juddering and going into ‘limp home’ mode (where the engine’s computer limits power to a minimum).

However, all mechanical parts can wear down over time if not properly maintained or replaced, and automatic gearboxes are more complicated than manuals. If you’re after an automatic gearbox, don’t let relatively uncommon faults put you off - a DSG is usually one of the smoother and more efficient types of gearbox, and most survive for at least 100,000 miles if not more.
Old 14th February 2021, 10:04   #65
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post

There are two types of DSG gearboxes. The ones fitted to the 2 litres are OK it is the smaller engine ones that are the problem. Honest John of the Daily Telegraph is always talking about them on readers queries
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 10:07   #66
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Who is the it that says "this" about dsg gearboxes? My son spent some time recently at a gearbox repair centre having his Renault van bearings replaced and the guy won't touch dsg boxes any more. He reckoned they were "built to fail"! His words, not mine.🤔

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Old 14th February 2021, 12:07   #67
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Built in obserlesance... I carnt think were profit has to be made is wear this dosnt occour.

I think there are more than one type of DSG. They are designed to take different amounts of talk....!!!!

Is th DSG better than th jatco. Probably. Its more efficient and very smooth.

As for mechanics saying "This"... One as to remember that new technology can take them to a place wear they are not comfortable.

And also we know that everyone is better driver than anyone else. So th customer could also be a fracture in its reliability factor.

As for th Skoda Superb Laurin & Klement. (Posh Passat and no bad thing for that) I liked it a lot and was in th running for th 75 replacement.... Till i found it was a bouncy castle. Apparently you can dial it out but for me it was no..

At th end of th day its a personnel thing and as always what anyone says its just only a opinion.

Lasterly i know of quite a few DSG's in various guises (possibly 10 at work) .. And all are fine.
Old 14th February 2021, 15:02   #68
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldie View Post
Elegance specification, petrol v6 or 2.0 diesel. Either something around 2012 or maybe a little newer depending on mileage/condition. The v6 seems to be harder to find. Are you aware of any particular issues with those, other than fuel consumption. Estates seem popular, saloon has a singular rear end but that wouldn't dissuade me if a good example was available. Can't see me not having a 75, I've a yen for another 2.5 v6, but never say never.

Don't know anything about the V6 - that's never been something I've looked at/for.

By 2012 the 2.0 diesel will be common rail and should be decently reliable allowing for the obvious potential issues with EGR's and DPF's. And there's the "third generation" revision in 2015.

IMHO provenance is everything. There will be plenty out there so do your homework and pass any that are in any way iffy.

When I had my Passat this was a good forum:

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/forum.php

Good luck with your search.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 15:15   #69
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Just to put my thoughts in,,,

People are asking "What would you replace your 75 with" Simply, You can change your 75, BUT you can never replace a 75.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 15:21   #70
Kos_ta
Avid contributor

Toyota RAV4

Replaced my Rover 75 about 5 years ago with 2-litre petrol Toyota RAV4 MK3 2012. It had 13k on the clock and one previous owner. It now has 42k on the clock and in all those time it didn't require anything apart from service (and a gear selector backlight bulb) which I'm very happy about. I found it very comfy (not as comfy as Rover though ) and it has plenty toys and pretty much all the options I'd like to have in a car. And coolant is now crossed off my weekly shopping list
Kos_ta is offline   Reply With Quote