Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th June 2010, 18:52   #11
IanDCW
Regular poster

Rover 75 Club SE Saloon 2.0 V6 2002

Try RIAS, they do "older" drivers (over 50), and mine was very competitive last time. Ring 08005610712 for a quote.
IanDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 18:52   #12
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

Mine had risen to £224 this year, which is far more than what I thought acceptable and so I went in search of a quote. I have never made a claim, I have a squeaky clean licence, my yearly mileage is very low indeed and I live in a fairly decent area.

When the likes of Aviva, MoreThan, AA(and I'm a member), Admiral and Direct Line wanted at least £490 I went back and paid the renewal fee with my current provider sharpish!

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 19:03   #13
payner75t
Gets stuck in

Saab 900 convertible,Ford Mondeo zetec tdci

i can't believe some quotes ,i think i've done well with mine
admiral multicar . all three of my cars ,all fully comp with breakdown .just under £700 pounds .that 9+ ncb on synergie. one year ncb on rover and no ncb on ax. must admit i am in a very low risk area though.
payner75t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 21:52   #14
rossocorsa
Posted a thing or two

None

maybe about time for some letters to MPs asking why ins cos can write off a car as cat D stating minor damage rake in a good return on it at auction/copart and then contradict their own assessment by refusing to insure it. A cat D should be treated no differently to any other car that has had minor damage ie 99% of cars over 3 years old!! The system was intended I believe to protect consumers but instead it is being used to kick mud in their faces
rossocorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 22:05   #15
markb63
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190 +

think mine was £350 fully comp on the zt 190 , due in august. Think i will have a quick look round and check out some prices gulp

edit : just been on the net and got a few quotes and mine has gone up by £ 140 , will wait and see what my current insurers quote me .............

Last edited by markb63; 17th June 2010 at 22:15..
markb63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 07:02   #16
KU8A
Regular poster

MG ZT-T CDTi

My premium last year was just over £1200.
My qoutes this year start at... over £1200.
Few monhs ago when i did a search on comparison website it said around £600-800. 24yo with 6years NCB... why?
Old 18th June 2010, 07:04   #17
Joseph
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club Saloon Manual CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KU8A View Post
My premium last year was just over £1200.
My qoutes this year start at... over £1200.
Few monhs ago when i did a search on comparison website it said around £600-800. 24yo with 6years NCB... why?
I paid £2,400 (Ok a lot of you will be wanting me to shut up about that) in march,

looked for quotes in may and the cheapest was £3,400 from the same insurance company...

I am dreading next years renewal.
Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 22:54   #18
just-john
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 CDTi Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by picky747 View Post
I think my postcode is a big factor and I did try SAGA for the over 50's and they were in the £600+ group
Hi Picky, I'm just up the road from you and yes, you're quite correct it's your post-code which is mainly to blame. I'm in the same boat; 50yrs old with a clean licence and 10+yrs no claims discount. The cheapest the broker can come up with is £660, up from £453 last year. Other websites are coming out anywhere between £600 to £900, and that's if they'll quote at all.

Like N1&EPR said, it's partly to do with the bad driving last winter, the broker told me though, that most of the Greater Manchester area post codes have had such a large rise due to our dubious claim to the title:-

"staged accident and fraudulent claim capital of Great Britain"

I've just got a half decent quote though from AXA, £454, I'll try a couple of other places first though, one of which might be of interest to others:-

http://www.carolenash.com/other-insurance/car/

I've had some good reports from friends in years past about this one.

Happy hunting, John.
just-john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 10:35   #19
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

heres something i said on another post

It's a funny old game, it's all to do with post code profiling, change in market values, increase on claims, age (young or old).

It's a "risk" business. I can go the one website and get a quote for £1500 another website quotes £500. Swiftcover insure my zt with the mods but won't even touch my tf. "quote declined" Elephant will insure the TF But then again elephant won't do the ZT.

Different insurance companies tailor for different markets. As with everything you need to compare the service too.

Anyone with girlfriends or wifes and are young, you can get insurance in their name but insure you as the main driver and 9 times out of 10 the policy will be less with no no claims in her name than in your name with 5 years. Again it' all about risk.

At 19 i could insure a 3.2 litre jag for less than a saxo. There were less Jags getting written off than saxos and that gets taken into account too.

I would also suggest upping your excess this makes a good difference on a expensive quote. In my honest experiance you are better using a broker than on the internet as they will tailor make an insurance policy for you and should be cheaper as they will negotiate on your behalf as they want the business.

Your job also has a big issue on price, a student for example is deemed to be higher risk because what do the insurance companies profile what students are like? they travel home, have a reputation for drinking and they are deemed to be more risky. That's why a bank manager will pay cheaper insurance than a shop worker. Again it's perceived risk.

So to summarise:
  • age of policy holder and named drivers
  • Just because you are older doesnt mean ins will get cheaper.
  • Postcode profiling
  • type and age of car- over 10 years old can be a lot cheaper
  • type of job of policy holder and named driver
  • how many claims on that type of vehicle in previous year
  • excess amount
  • cover provided
  • availablity or "perceived" availablity of parts
  • and last but not least CO2 emissions
oh and another thing to check 9 times out of 10 there is a compulsary excess on your insurance policy dependant on age so you may say i have an excess of £150 but the insurer may have a compulsary excess of £150 too so in reality it's a £300 excess. it normally goes in stages...
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 18:59   #20
Kearton
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T CDTi

Arrow

Another broker you could try is Lancaster who do insurance for members of the MG Owners Club. The cost of joining the club is small in comparison. See (http://www.mgownersclub.co.uk/)

They were the cheapest for me for the last two years.

Regards,
Kearton

Edit: URL corrected

Last edited by Kearton; 20th June 2010 at 08:51..
Kearton is offline   Reply With Quote