Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th June 2010, 13:04   #1
abid442
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

Default Think someone is telling me porkies!

Can a piece off the bottom of an injector break off, go through the engine break all the valves cause a turbo to sieze and then come out through the exhaust and cause the engine to go? Whilst trying to fit a new turbo the mechanic removed the injectors and noticed that a piece off one had broken. He then told me this had gone into my turbo and caused it to sieze. Now he wants to remove the manifold to see if the valves are bent? Surely the guy is trying have me off! After 6 weeks of sitting on his garage he finally tells me this. I am certain that its just a turbo! Someone said he has done this to other people then he buys the cars fixes them and makes a big profit! Is it possible what he is saying
abid442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 15:38   #2
abid442
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

bump
need help before i get ripped off!
Old 20th June 2010, 15:51   #3
matt_tdv6
Avid contributor

04 ZT CDTI & 04 MG ZR Express

If the turbo failed and the engine over revved on its own oil it is quite possible the injectors could be damaged

I have seen this happen on Komatsu loading shovels a few times
matt_tdv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 16:05   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I sounds like a pretty imaginative explanation to me.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 16:36   #5
Kearton
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by abid442 View Post
Can a piece off the bottom of an injector break off, go through the engine break all the valves cause a turbo to sieze and then come out through the exhaust and cause the engine to go? Whilst trying to fit a new turbo the mechanic removed the injectors and noticed that a piece off one had broken. He then told me this had gone into my turbo and caused it to sieze. Now he wants to remove the manifold to see if the valves are bent? Surely the guy is trying have me off! After 6 weeks of sitting on his garage he finally tells me this. I am certain that its just a turbo! Someone said he has done this to other people then he buys the cars fixes them and makes a big profit! Is it possible what he is saying
I haven't seen the hot end of one of these injectors, so can't comment on whether a bit could break off.
If it did break off an injector, it is only likely to damage the exhaust valve of that cylinder. I reckon it could then damage the vanes of the exhaust side of the turbo - but by how much would depend on its size and mass.
Unless very small, it may not get through the catalytic convertor. It depends on how large the holes are.

As T-CUT says, the explanation seems rather exaggerated. Has you shown you proof or details of how he came to that conclusion.
If you will be faced with a repair bill for this I'd consider getting a second opinion - from a trusted mechanic friend or RAC / AA if you are in one of them.

Just my twopennyworth.

Regards,
Kearton
Kearton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 17:07   #6
Freebyrd
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by abid442 View Post
Sounds a bit like the 'Magic Bullit Theory' ,, did the guy also claim that it then hit the tyre and caused a puncture???

A compresion test on the cylinders would show up any bent/damaged valves.

Last edited by Freebyrd; 20th June 2010 at 17:08.. Reason: addendum
Freebyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 17:41   #7
abid442
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon

Default To good to get rid of!

Going do a compression test on the cylinders tommorrow! i dont no this theory! it looks like the injector has corroded only one of them. To be honest the car is to nice not to be fixed. 2004 54 rover 75 december 2004. Auto diesel. cdti se connissuer! If the engine has gone do you guys reckon i could get around 1200 for spares or repairs? Really depressed as this car is lovely and was going to be my project

Last edited by abid442; 20th June 2010 at 18:28..