Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th October 2010, 15:43   #11
Telferstr
Posted a thing or two

Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross 3. 1.5 Petrol 6 Speed Manual Gearbox. Great fan of the Mk1 75 which I had 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman3 View Post
Sorry but with bad experiences there is always good....

Ive been with the AA for 6 years and with three cars in the household have used them more than a few times. also having the AA breakdown repair cover i have had the pleasure of there help to the tune of £1700 in repairs, never refused a tow or a misdiagnosis, there will always be grumpy or tired AA men.

Just like Kwik fit, my local one is brilliant, great blokes and would do owt for you, but go to dumbarton and there a bunch of idiots...lol

Martin
Mmmm Taz, you'll be popular in Dumbarton
Regards,
Telfer.
Telferstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 22:57   #12
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by . hammer View Post
I'm 56 years old, always carried a fairly comprehensive toolkit, broken down a few times but never been stranded... oh, and I HATE being patronised!!!!
You sound a lot like me

I've never until the last few years bothered to subscribe to them, always fixed my own problems, but for what little it costs - I subscribed to one of the cheaper breakdown services with comprehensive cover, just in case there is something one day I might not be able to fix.

Company car is covered and in recent years I have called RAC out to a few problems, as I am not allowed to fix it. All fairly basic stuff and sorted on the spot, that is all except an engine ECU which died in L3 of the motorway - luckily I had enough speed to carry me onto the hard shoulder across the other two lanes. That motor was just two months old. Not much I or anyone else could have done to fix it at the road side, which was what prompted me to take out some cover for myself - more comprehensive and cheaper than AA/RAC, plus I get a discount each year for not having needed them.

I also have cover for the motorbike, simply because you cannot really carry much in the way of tools to fix a bike.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 23:23   #13
. hammer
Steve

Rover 75 CDT Auto Conn Tourer

Yep. Harry, I'm a bit of an old die-hard - but I am now considering a basic recovery service as my wife and I have eight kids between us and the whole family is scattered all over England, Wales and Scotland... alot of long-distance journeys! Who do you use and/or recommend?
Old 9th October 2010, 23:51   #14
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Autonational Rescue (I might have misquoated the name last time it was mentioned), but I have never needed them. Grandson also uses them - they have been called to sort him out several times and they do seem to send out local proper mechanics. I pay for the top level of cover which means we should never get stuck.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 10th October 2010, 07:38   #15
Rufras
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT

I was driving from Buckinghamshire to Dorset for a two week holiday when in Wiltshire I found I could not select any gears (it was a Montego). AA came and said that it could not be fixed and he would arrange a low loader to take my car back to Buckinghamshire, the last thing I wanted. My better half reminded me that she had RAC cover so we called them out. The RAC guy was under the car for over an hour on the hottest day and fixed it perfectly.
I do not use the AA now and never will.
Rufras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 08:35   #16
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufras View Post
I was driving from Buckinghamshire to Dorset for a two week holiday when in Wiltshire I found I could not select any gears (it was a Montego). AA came and said that it could not be fixed and he would arrange a low loader to take my car back to Buckinghamshire, the last thing I wanted. My better half reminded me that she had RAC cover so we called them out. The RAC guy was under the car for over an hour on the hottest day and fixed it perfectly.
I do not use the AA now and never will.
I think that sort of thing is as much to do with the individual engineer they send, as the company. We all have days where we feel less inclined to struggle with a job.

Old 10th October 2010, 09:24   #17
mamasboy
RS South East

Ford fester... blah....

I find the AA ok. I had a recovery from Bristol to Hastings a few years back and apart from it taking several hours it was money well spent. Biggest problem was they could only drive for a certain time before they had to stop for a break so they swapped me 3 times to different patrols which was very time consuming.
Old 10th October 2010, 10:39   #18
Kearton
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasboy View Post
I find the AA ok. I had a recovery from Bristol to Hastings a few years back and apart from it taking several hours it was money well spent. Biggest problem was they could only drive for a certain time before they had to stop for a break so they swapped me 3 times to different patrols which was very time consuming.
I don't know about now, but the AA's recovery service used to be called "Relay" because each patrol would only take you to the edge of their district. Your vehicle was then transferred to the next district's vehicle and so on across the country. In contrast the RAC wouldn't necessarily use their own trailers but did take you to your destination in one go.

Regards,
Kearton
Kearton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 13:35   #19
david carter
david carter

rover 75 saloon

I joined the AA when my car suffured a slit radiator hose in Poole Dorset. It took about 20 minutes on the phone to join, answering question upon question eventually settling for the cheapest which was £130. It felt like a sales promotion. The AA patrol turned up in 15 minutes and was very good making a temporary repair, filling the system with water and I followed him to a garage and he returned us to our hotel in Bournmouth. I gave him a £10 tip. Collected the car the following day, a further cost of £120.

I could'nt have done without the AA at that time, there may be other organisations that may be cheaper!

Last edited by david carter; 10th October 2010 at 13:53.. Reason: Did not finish it
david carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 19:22   #20
philjudo
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 CDTI Saloon Club SE

Rossocorsa. Got to go with that, Brittania have been superb, Never a moments problem with Brittania in 8 years, I've used them about 7 times because it covers whatever car your sitting in.
"Touching Wood with both hands"

Last edited by philjudo; 10th October 2010 at 19:26..
philjudo is offline   Reply With Quote