Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2011, 17:15   #11
baconbuttyman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
Hiya. Yes, that is it. If you just bend the tape over so that the sticky side is on the top and the bottom...You can then mask of more of the area when you secure the flappy top bit down with more tape. I always use this method as the paint can then gently "bleed"under the fold without causing a definite build up and a line as you would get if it were just stuck down in a strip..Just have a little practice on something before you spray and you then see what i mean. Poppy

ok tried this method and wow, what a difference on the resulting lines, it almost blends in already.
curing the paint? you mean let i dry through, leave it a day first?? do i do the same for the lacquer/
thanks for your advice Poppy, always tried to avoid painting pannels if i could help it
Old 5th May 2011, 17:32   #12
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Thanks Poppy.

So do I just walk into a car accessory emporium and ask for a spray can of lacquer?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
Old 5th May 2011, 17:42   #13
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconbuttyman View Post
ok tried this method and wow, what a difference on the resulting lines, it almost blends in already.
curing the paint? you mean let i dry through, leave it a day first?? do i do the same for the lacquer/
thanks for your advice Poppy, always tried to avoid painting pannels if i could help it
Hiya. Yes, you must really let the paint cure before applying the lacquer, then let that cure before polishing. It has to "harden" properly if you know what i mean. The only thing that i have found is that the lacquer that we buy off the shelves does not seem to be "hard" enough.....Not like what would be mixed and used in a spray booth. I have looked on the net before now and it seems that K2 lacquer is the best, but it is more expensive. Maybe put a search in and have a look.? You may come up with something you could pass onto me. Poppy
Old 5th May 2011, 17:43   #14
baconbuttyman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Thanks Poppy.

So do I just walk into a car accessory emporium and ask for a spray can of lacquer?

yes you want the clear lacquer, i used hy-cote crystal clear.
leaves a high gloss shine, apply in very thin coats tho as it runs easily. i used a hair dryer on low power to help dry it
Old 5th May 2011, 17:50   #15
baconbuttyman
Banned

Quote:
Hiya. Yes, you must really let the paint cure before applying the lacquer, then let that cure before polishing. It has to "harden" properly if you know what i mean. The only thing that i have found is that the lacquer that we buy off the shelves does not seem to be "hard" enough.....Not like what would be mixed and used in a spray booth. I have looked on the net before now and it seems that K2 lacquer is the best, but it is more expensive. Maybe put a search in and have a look.? You may come up with something you could pass onto me. Poppy
ok thanks, tbh i used hy-cote lacquer usually and it leaves a very high gloss shine, used it on a set of crowns.
Old 5th May 2011, 17:56   #16
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Smile

Quote:
ok thanks, tbh i used hy-cote lacquer usually and it leaves a very high gloss shine, used it on a set of crowns.
Hiya. Well, if you are happy with the results then that is all that matters. So glad you had a go at it, lots think it a bit daunting, Not that hard if the right preparation and time are taken. Glad you were happy with the bending of the tape method..lol. Always works for me. Poppy
Old 5th May 2011, 18:29   #17
baconbuttyman
Banned

Quote:
Hiya. Well, if you are happy with the results then that is all that matters. So glad you had a go at it, lots think it a bit daunting, Not that hard if the right preparation and time are taken. Glad you were happy with the bending of the tape method..lol. Always works for me. Poppy

secret is not to rush the job

as well as rolling the tape
Old 5th May 2011, 18:46   #18
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Smile

Quote:
secret is not to rush the job

as well as rolling the tape
LMSO....Guess it is.... Poppy
Old 5th May 2011, 20:38   #19
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Well, thanks to both - I might have a go at this at the weekend.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
Old 10th May 2011, 00:25   #20
Kearton
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Hiya. Yes, you must really let the paint cure before applying the lacquer, then let that cure before polishing. It has to "harden" properly if you know what i mean. The only thing that i have found is that the lacquer that we buy off the shelves does not seem to be "hard" enough.....Not like what would be mixed and used in a spray booth. I have looked on the net before now and it seems that K2 lacquer is the best, but it is more expensive. Maybe put a search in and have a look. You may come up with something you could pass onto me. Poppy
When I had some painting done by a repair company, they put the car in some sort of an oven after painting, which presumably cured / hardened it more quickly. I still had to wait a couple of weeks for chemicals (plasticiser, thinners or similar I assume) to leave it completely before they would put on the Diamondbrite paint coating.

Kearton
Closed Thread