Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th February 2021, 15:45   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Only used suitable qualified engineers

The reason you should only use suitable qualified engineers is so that when you go into the loft and see their plumbing, you can see every bend and every joint.
If you were to use some dodgy DIY'er you would not be able to see every bend and every joint because they would have insulated the pipes

Not one pipe in the loft of my daughters house is insulated.
ye gods and little fishes

I hope you have noted the post is sarcasm

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2021, 16:32   #2
solarsailor
Posted a thing or two

75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
....I hope you have noted the post is sarcasm.....
Can't say I noticed. Hope they forgot to insulate the loft too, so the heat from the house can get up there to stop the pipes from freezing.

This vehicle was born on Wednesday June 4th 2003 @ 08:24:38
This vehicle was the 73,905th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 1,862nd 75 1.8 T Club SE to be made out of 3,980
This vehicle was the 6,856th 75 in Wedgewood Blue to be made out of 7,515 Wedgewood Blue 75s
solarsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2021, 16:05   #3
mbev51
Banned

Removed

My friend had a wood stove installed by a fully qualified person, recommended by a heating retailing outlet. About a year later she had a serious fire from her chimney that left a little longer would have taken the house out. I’ve installed three with correctly fitted double skinned chimney liners, which continue to work without an issue.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2021, 18:13   #4
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Years ago we lived in a house with a gas fire in the lounge. My mother was getting crippling migraines and generally feeling unwell. Discovered it was mild carbon monoxide poisoning, the flue at the rear of the gas fire wasn't connected, there was a section missing, about a 12" gap. Didn't affect my father and me as we were out of the house most of the time, him working, me being at school etc.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2021, 20:39   #5
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
My friend had a wood stove installed by a fully qualified person, recommended by a heating retailing outlet. About a year later she had a serious fire from her chimney that left a little longer would have taken the house out. I’ve installed three with correctly fitted double skinned chimney liners, which continue to work without an issue.
Liners are the best bet and I've installed several.

Was the fire the installers fault ??--If it was an old house the chimney should have been cleaned. If not, then the new fire, after a years use could have been the cause of the fire.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2021, 20:44   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Years ago we lived in a house with a gas fire in the lounge. My mother was getting crippling migraines and generally feeling unwell. Discovered it was mild carbon monoxide poisoning, the flue at the rear of the gas fire wasn't connected, there was a section missing, about a 12" gap. Didn't affect my father and me as we were out of the house most of the time, him working, me being at school etc.
Carbon monoxide sensors are cheap and should always be installed with gas heating.---The trouble is the gas is odorless and invisible. People can go to bed and never wake up again.

COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2021, 09:49   #7
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
That is truly terrifying. Something like that is nowadays classed a 'never event' which is what pilots and surgeons try to avoid by having checklists. It was a pilot who pushed for checklists to become used in operating rooms after his young wife died. He wrote a book after the tragedy. I think it was called 'Just a routine operation'. I hope modern gas fitters use checklists, and anyone with a gas appliance should absolutely have a working CO alarm. CO is odourless and deadly and has claimed many lives prematurely. I personally knew a student from a wealthy family, lovely vibrant chap, who died in cheap student accommodation because of a faulty gas appliance.

Last edited by edwardmk; 17th February 2021 at 09:54.. Reason: added omitted words
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2021, 09:58   #8
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
The reason you should only use suitable qualified engineers is so that when you go into the loft and see their plumbing, you can see every bend and every joint.
If you were to use some dodgy DIY'er you would not be able to see every bend and every joint because they would have insulated the pipes

Not one pipe in the loft of my daughters house is insulated.
ye gods and little fishes

I hope you have noted the post is sarcasm

macafee2
Regardless of how many degrees and qualifications you have, you're only as good as your last job. Unacceptable for any professional to slip like that.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2021, 13:58   #9
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
Regardless of how many degrees and qualifications you have, you're only as good as your last job. Unacceptable for any professional to slip like that.
The "professional" that serviced my last boiler put the retaining clips to the insulator blocks in the wrong way round. The insulator fell onto the burner, diverted the flame up the front of the unit and distorted the baffles in the process. The boiler was scrap so had to be replaced. I refused to pay and I suggested that I should contact the gas safety council. My boiler was replaced free of charge by the company!!!
Old 17th February 2021, 17:45   #10
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Carbon monoxide sensors are cheap and should always be installed with gas heating.---The trouble is the gas is odorless and invisible. People can go to bed and never wake up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
That is truly terrifying. Something like that is nowadays classed a 'never event' which is what pilots and surgeons try to avoid by having checklists. It was a pilot who pushed for checklists to become used in operating rooms after his young wife died. He wrote a book after the tragedy. I think it was called 'Just a routine operation'. I hope modern gas fitters use checklists, and anyone with a gas appliance should absolutely have a working CO alarm. CO is odourless and deadly and has claimed many lives prematurely. I personally knew a student from a wealthy family, lovely vibrant chap, who died in cheap student accommodation because of a faulty gas appliance.
The "incident" I'm talking about was way back in the early '70s before alarms etc were standard.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote