Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th February 2021, 10:10   #1
Redmaestro
Avid contributor

Default Stuck Capiler advice

After driving home last night, I realised my rear n/s brake disc was hotter than the other three. I could feel the heat on the back of my hand as I put it near the spokes of the wheel. I suspect its a stuck caliper, there is a smell coming from the brakes and a white talc-looking powder near the contact patch on the pad.

My questions are:

* Is it worth trying to free the caliper incase it is stuck due to debris?
* Where is the best place to buy a new one if it needs replacing? I've seen calipers for around £60. on ebay and one in ECP for £127. including a surcharge. I'm planning on changing the discs, a pads and sensors while I have my hands dirty (was looking at Brembo's from ECP but is there a preferred one?)

Thanks
Redmaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2021, 10:33   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I think you can get seal kit for the calliper so I would take it off, strip it, clean it and put it back together.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-REAR-B...A/262769343507

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2021, 10:34   #3
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

I had the same issue with my front calliper last year after the car had been stood during lock down. We were due to use the car for our September holiday to Cornwall but I didn't have time to find a replacement before the trip. I checked that the bleed nipple was free then nipped it up and lifted the calliper away from the disc before pumping out the piston. I cleaned the piston with 1200 wet and dry soaked in brake fluid and then coated the piston with red brake grease. I also cleaned the corrosion carefully from the edge of the calliper just before the piston seal . I reassembled the calliper , fitted some new pads that I had in the garage and bled the brake. We had our holiday doing over 1000 miles in total and never had an issue again , in fact it's still perfect nearly 6 months later.
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2021, 11:29   #4
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

This is the worst time of year for calliper problems! I had to replace one of the rear callipers a couple of years ago while away from home and I'm now having similar issues with my nearside front, including becoming fully stuck on with a red hot brake assembly after a few miles. It's so obvious while driving too! The autoshift keeps the car in a lower gear for longer and with the handbrake off, the car remains stationary on a slight incline. I've already been advised that it can only be refurbed as new ones aren't available, although I haven't checked the veracity of that advice yet. Taking it a local Halfords in the morning to see if they can at least offer a temp fix.
minty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2021, 08:45   #5
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

It's always worth trying to move the piston back by levering the metal part of the pad, then re-applying the brake a few times to see if it will free off. When I have had the problem I have found that once free, the caliper/carrier can be taken off, wire brush and clean, then lube (carefully and minimally) the sliders etc. If all else fails it's a caliper off, strip and rebuild. It's usually the salt on the roads that corrodes the moving parts.
Old 18th February 2021, 09:09   #6
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
It's usually the salt on the roads that corrodes the moving parts.
Bl!!dy winter
Old 18th February 2021, 09:39   #7
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Cheap but false economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
It's usually the salt on the roads that corrodes the moving parts.
I've been quoted £233 for a new calliper with fitting and brake fluid etc by Halfords, which seems a bit steep to me! Ebay's selling these for £29.95 !! Rimmers is £90. A couple of hours labour to have either fitted I would guess. Which one to go for? I could have near and offside done for the price of one Rimmer's part, but......
Old 18th February 2021, 17:01   #8
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I think you can get seal kit for the calliper so I would take it off, strip it, clean it and put it back together.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-REAR-B...A/262769343507

macafee2
Wot he said
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2021, 13:32   #9
Redmaestro
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by minty2 View Post
I've been quoted £233 for a new calliper with fitting and brake fluid etc by Halfords, which seems a bit steep to me! Ebay's selling these for £29.95.......
I've had a look these cheap ebay calipers and spotted something. I'm after a left rear one, but in the description says "Fits MG ZT 2001-2005

Won't fit 260 of Xpower Models, For 276mm Rear Brake Discs Only
". According to ECP, the Brembo rear discs i'm looking at have a diameter of 280mm!

Worth checking before you click Buy Now!!
Old 28th February 2021, 09:29   #10
Redmaestro
Avid contributor

Quick Update:

So on this warm weekend, I stripped back the rear o/s brake. After struggling with one seized bold on the mounting bracket - I took off the old caliper and attached the shiny new £32.00 one from ebay and bled it. It was a perfect fit!

I still don't know what the difference is between a caliper that costs £32 from ebay and one from ECP that costs £127!

The only advice I'd give is to double check the diameter of the caliper with the diameter of the new discs but I am really pleased with my purchases.

My only job now is to put on the new discs and pads on the other side!

Last edited by Redmaestro; 28th February 2021 at 09:41..