Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd February 2021, 16:48   #1
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Rover 25, Mazda 6

Default What is this loud ticking from my engine on start up? (Sound required)

Hi all,

I feel like I am spamming the forums lately but I seem to be needing assistance more than usual!

I have noticed in the last few days when I start my car up after it has been sat for a bit that it sounds terrible with a loud ticking that does eventually go away after a few seconds.

A colleague even commented that it 'doesn't sound too good'.

After start up this morning when I was headed for work, the check engine light was flashing and it was misfiring quite badly.

I have suspected recently (as some of you will be aware) that my inlet manifold gasket needs replacing as I am also losing coolant, though there is no mayo under the oil cap, in the header tank or on the dipstick.

Here is a video I made of two start ups today and you can hear how bad it sounds:

https://youtu.be/XX0nGLCI9YM

Does this sound more sinister than just being caused by the IMG leaking?

Many thanks in advance.
Gigagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 17:10   #2
MacRob
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

to me that sounds like the belt has jumped a notch and the timing is out slightly. The 1st start up sounded like a belt tensioner on the way out so it is a good chance it is. Then again as always I could be well wrong
Old 23rd February 2021, 17:47   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

It sounds like drained out/dry tappets to me. If the tapping goes away after a short time running, it tends to support this as being a lack of oil at the tappets. Does everything sound normal once the engine's warmed up and being driven?

What grade of engine oil is in there and is it at the correct level on the dipstick?

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 19:26   #4
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRob View Post
to me that sounds like the belt has jumped a notch and the timing is out slightly. The 1st start up sounded like a belt tensioner on the way out so it is a good chance it is. Then again as always I could be well wrong
Sure hope not! It's always been kept up to date with belt changes and always have the tensioner and pump done at the same time.

Runs well apart from these issues on start up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut
It sounds like drained out/dry tappets to me. If the tapping goes away after a short time running, it tends to support this as being a lack of oil at the tappets. Does everything sound normal once the engine's warmed up and being driven?

What grade of engine oil is in there and is it at the correct level on the dipstick?
What could have caused such a thing to happen suddenly? I only noticed this noise on start up at the start of the week.

Oil is 10w40 semi synth and is just below max on the dipstick.

It had an oil change around September 2020 and a new filter always (genuine MG Rover filter). Also threw some new plugs in at the same time.

Like I said it has run like a dream until start of this week though she has on occasion been a bit hard to start on some cold mornings i.e. taking a few extra seconds finally fire up.

The noise goes away after about 30 seconds or some short period of time like that.
Old 23rd February 2021, 19:49   #5
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

It really does sound like an empty tappet slowly filling up with oil. All other things which can make a noise through lack of oil normally become quiet immediately the oil reaches them.. Only a tappet has this slowly disappearing noise as it fills itself up.----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2021, 19:53   #6
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
It really does sound like an empty tappet slowly filling up with oil. All other things which can make a noise through lack of oil normally become quiet immediately the oil reaches them.. Only a tappet has this slowly disappearing noise as it fills itself up.----
I agree with the "Dry" tappet diagnosis. You could try an engine Flush and refill again with fresh oil.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2021, 08:43   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
You could try an engine Flush and refill again with fresh oil.

I recommend Comma Flush Out which I've used successfully on my cars from time to time. The engine oil is drained then Flush Out is added to half the sump's capacity. The engine is then run at a fast idle for about ten minutes (full instructions are on the product). It's then drained and you renew the oil filter and refill with engine oil. Yours may need more than one application but it's not expensive and available from a good motor factor.

Just two other things to think about Rhys. Do you do a lot of short journeys where the oil doesn't reach a good healthy temperature? Also, it's beneficial to change your engine oil more frequently than the specified 15,000 miles. I'd suggest half that figure.

Simon
Old 24th February 2021, 10:25   #8
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Thank you all for the replies.

I will try an engine flush and another oil change as soon as I can.

I have done another video this morning after I arrived at work, parked up in the car park with the engine idling. This was after a 15 minute commute, mostly on a dual carriageway at 60mph.

https://youtu.be/_f_dONv5WTU

If I put my ear down into the engine bay it sounds more like its coming from the inlet manifold area rather than the engine itself. What could this suggest? Could it be related to my suspected leaking intel manifold gasket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too
Just two other things to think about Rhys. Do you do a lot of short journeys where the oil doesn't reach a good healthy temperature? Also, it's beneficial to change your engine oil more frequently than the specified 15,000 miles. I'd suggest half that figure.
Simon, my usual driving is my 15-20 minute commute to and from work as above. It's mostly at 60-65mph on a dual carriageway. Though yesterday I had a few customer sites to visit so I had a half hour blast on the M4 a few times too.

I always change my oil every 6 months with a new filter, usually at the start of autumn then again at the start of spring.

I did try a 5w40 fully synthetic for about a year after recommendations by Opie Oils but I found it was getting a bit tappetty. Changing back to 10w40 cured that.
Old 24th February 2021, 10:48   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigagator View Post
I have done another video this morning ... This was after a 15 minute commute, mostly on a dual carriageway at 60mph.
That still sounds like hydraulic tappets to me Rhys and rather a serious case after fifteen minutes at cruising speed.

I'd try Flush Out straight away and new 10W40. If there's zero improvement it could point to a tappet which needs replacing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigagator View Post
I always change my oil every 6 months ..
OK, but if your mileage in that period exceeds say, 6,000 miles, do it sooner!

Simon
Old 24th February 2021, 11:44   #10
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Agreed it certainly sounds tappety on that first start up and the misfire can be seen, engine movement and heard.

A leaking manifold gasket won't make that noise, which is definitely mechanical.

Read the code which will possibly be shown as a misfire on cylinder X due to the problem follower, that you say the noise is louder on the inlet manifold side suggests the possibility that the culprit is on the inlet camshaft side, it's a little difficult when listening on videos but at first start up all the followers sound as if they are taking a while to jack up.

If you have access to and are able to do an oil pressure test from cold this will show if the oil pressure is, or isn't OK, bearing in mind that the oil pressure light only comes on when pressure is as low as 5psi to 10psi on average.
Ducati750cc is offline   Reply With Quote