Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd August 2009, 20:38   #1
teamninja
Regular poster

rover 75

Default superchips

Is there anyone with a 75 diesel who has used superchips to upgrade to 141 BHP and what is the outcome ??
hole in the wallet due to things wearing out or breaking
is that alot of noticeable BHP
would appreciate some feedback
thanks adrian
teamninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 18:36   #2
willster
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer Auto CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamninja View Post
Is there anyone with a 75 diesel who has used superchips to upgrade to 141 BHP and what is the outcome ??
hole in the wallet due to things wearing out or breaking
is that alot of noticeable BHP
would appreciate some feedback
thanks adrian
I think most of the rubbish you can buy on ebay for less than 100quid are pretty useless. Plus if you got a tuning box it most likely wouldnt give you any power upgrades if your MAF was knackered . So would be a complete waste of money. Id buy a synergy2 and pierburg MAF(about £250 new). If you go on roverrons site it explains all about them and why there superior to other tuning boxes. Buying cheap with tuning boxes is asking for trouble, or simply no gains atall.
willster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 19:13   #3
mikey_32
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer 02 club se cdt remapped

Not sure if it's the same but I had my car remapped by an ex superchips guy 3 years ago, approx £200. I think he took it up to about the 140bhp mark although not sure as I didn't but it on the rolling road, however if it is the same remapp that you're on about having driven my car 72k miles over 3 years since I wouldn't hesitate, superb, pulls clean all through the rev range although I know my car now needs an air flow meter he told me to steer clear of tuning boxes and have a proper remap, and having driven both I like the characteristics of the proper remap
Old 24th August 2009, 20:35   #4
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

I ran a ZT CDTi remapped from new by superchips big improvement over the standard car. But if I had know of the ronbox I would have went that way first. The car ran to over 100k when I then added the ronbox on top followed with the inlet mod and a k&n replacement filter. The car was still running sweet up to 175k when I stuck petrol in the car. A long lingering death.

Steve.
Mr bountyfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 21:11   #5
teamninja
Regular poster

rover 75

Thank you for replies I need as much info as I can, superchips have a local garage near me about 30 miles, their power curve as you say mikey looks like it pulls all the way compared to standard, I will look at the synergy2 and pierburg MAF not heard of them, abit frightened of the strain on crank and gearbox but should take a little more power I would think, hope, don’t want to make a wrong decision to find out there is a better one if I waited another week due to lack of knowledge, good to hear your mods and thank you very much for your info
Old 25th August 2009, 12:38   #6
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Do your homework before wasting your money on a supechip.
Way over priced, nothing like as flexible as a Synergy 2 and you can't take it off to sell it on when you sell the car

Never take dyno printouts as gospel especially if used to back up something someone is trying to sell!

Oh and don't believe the BS about it not being detectable it can, so before buying either get a quote from your insurer for the performance mod first
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 13:16   #7
mikey_32
Loves to post

I couldn't disagree with Keith more, unlike tuning boxes my remap doesn't simply crack the fuel pressure through the roof and trick the engine into thinking it's normal, it's all down to personal choice, yes if you buy a tuning box (I'm not making the mistake of singling Ron's synergy units out here) and you sell the car then you can take the the tuning box off, but how many paople really buy the same car twice? and as my wife says why buy somethingwith the intention of changing it, having read all the recent problems that have been posted on this forum with tuning boxes, ie eml lights coming on, injectors leaking and the increased pressure personally I feel contributed to the hell of a month Dagrad is having (snapped crank following leaking injector) I still say IMHO that a full remap is a better way forward, at least you can alter everything including injection timing and booste pressure and I was told that with a full remap you can get more torque out of the engine too, this thread really does open a can of worms, it's all down to the individuals choice, people with remapped engines love them, people with Rons box (or similar) love them, I have had my CDT tourer with nearly 200k miles on board remapped and both my Father and myself feel that my car offers a wider spread of healthy power/torque than his 67k mile CDTi that's got a tuning box on. Don't get me wrong I have one of Rons maf compensators on my wish list and hope to order within the next few days so I have nothing but praise for the work that Ron does and his customer service is so I'm told 2nd to none.
As for the comment of insurance, yes a remap is detectable, all they'd have to do is connect it up to a t4 and it would show a conflict on engine data, but if you're unlucky enough to have your car written off to the point where it has to be recovered then a tuning box slaps you in the face if you know where to look, where as with a remap, if the rest of the car is standard or only mild in modifications then there would be no need for them to question if it's been remapped or not.

Lol this is turning out to be quite an interesting thread.
At the end of the day these are fantastic cars, and which ever way you decide to go I don't think you'll be sorry with the choice that you make, it'll improve the way that the car responds and will put a smile on your face!!!
Old 25th August 2009, 16:13   #8
marius v
Regular poster

99 R75 cdt connoisseur manual

If an engine could speak,I think it would prefer a remap
marius v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 18:06   #9
teamninja
Regular poster

rover 75

Thanks again for the info,
knowledge comes to those who ask,
knowledge comes to those who wait.
is there a piece of mind by having a remap due to the more pressure from a tuning box from experience from motorcycles using a big bore kit causing stress to the crankshaft and big end bearings, i know there is a knock on effect to mods we pay the price of our actions but was dagrad 'i can't find this member mikey' bad luck or two things coming together at once mmmmmm ?
superchip are dearer than synergy 2 but i have little knowledge on modern car engines to d.i.y.
Old 25th August 2009, 19:22   #10
mikey_32
Loves to post

Adrian you have a pm