Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th October 2009, 14:07   #1
tone
Regular poster

75 Conny 2.5V6 SE Auto. Wedgy Blue.

Default Paint job?

OK, so now I'm pretty much sorted in the engine department I've turned my attention to the bodywork.
There's nothing drastic to do - the bonnet has the usual selection of scratches all over (but not deep), some bumper scuffs and stone chips and a smalll thumb nail size dent on door.

I've got a yellow pages full of paint shops in Norfolk I could use, or there is always the mobile mob, including Chips Away.

What's everyone's opinion - a visit to a "proper" paint/body shop, or a mobile CA type...???

Be good to know what others experience has been with Chips and the like.
tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 14:32   #2
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tone View Post
OK, so now I'm pretty much sorted in the engine department I've turned my attention to the bodywork.
There's nothing drastic to do - the bonnet has the usual selection of scratches all over (but not deep), some bumper scuffs and stone chips and a smalll thumb nail size dent on door.

I've got a yellow pages full of paint shops in Norfolk I could use, or there is always the mobile mob, including Chips Away.

What's everyone's opinion - a visit to a "proper" paint/body shop, or a mobile CA type...???

Be good to know what others experience has been with Chips and the like.
I was very impressed with chips away, 2 car park dents removed, left a perfect finish but I understand they are franchises so only as good as the guy doing the job Dave

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 19:19   #3
Kearton
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T CDTi

Hi Tone,
I think the one definite difference will be that most body shops will have over a mobile service is a clean (and possibly humidity controlled) indoor area in which to apply the paint, thus eliminating, or at least minimising, effects due to weather, dust, etc.. Also some paints need to be baked to cure properly.

That said, for removing small stone chips I think a mobile service should be adequate.

I have used (Ipswich Accident Repair Centre) just outside Ipswich with good results. The owner used to run a ZT-T and now races a diesel BMW. The place across the road from it (Nationwide?) also has a good reputation.

Regards,
Kearton
Kearton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 19:31   #4
Wolves 75
I really should get out more.......

75 connoisseur SE CDTi

Lightbulb

I have a few stone chips on my front bumper, and to be honest, the Wolverhampton chips away were charging more to just fill the chips in, rather than the body shop we use to remove the bumper and paint the whole thing properly
Thought chips away was the cheaper alternative.......

Wolves 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 19:37   #5
doublekite
My other car is a bus

2005 Jaguar S Type 2.7D automatic and 2007 Jaguar S Type XS 2.7D automatic

I have used Dereham Respray on Rashes Green Industrial Estate without problem.

If you wish to have a full valet, clay, polish and wax, I cannot recommend this guy, Stuart, highly enough. The cost will be about £80 depending on how bad it is, but the finish will blow you away. He is mobile and just needs power and water supplies.

http://www.vdservices.co.uk/

Take a look at his work here
http://www.vdservices.co.uk/id2.html

The good thing about clay is that it removed the imperfections before polishing, and he removes all the surface scratches, swirls, and most light cosmetic marks.

E mail me here
[email protected]
and I'll send you some pics.

Last edited by doublekite; 15th October 2009 at 19:42..
doublekite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 21:28   #6
stef_uk
Gets stuck in

ZT75

as for chips away i had the wifes saab ragtop touched up in a few places and first findings were good...however after 6 months or so of me washing and polishing it started to wear through and mismatch...if you don't polish that much don't suppose it would make a difference

steve