Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st September 2011, 17:49   #1
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Default Carbon reducing valve available Nov 2011

The Intech Valve was shown on BBC South in 2009 on an old Volvo belonging to one of the presenters.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:lCbi8jyGnY0J:www.bbc.co.uk/southtoday/content/articles/2009/04/30/greencar_results_feature.shtml+intech+valve&cd=2&h l=en&ct=clnk&gl=ukow

Now 2 years on its back again due to going into production now and available from this November.

It has also been successfully tested and will be legal for all Moto GP 2 & 3 races next year.

The old Volvo is used to teach under 17's to drive (off road) and includes high speed circuit driving, after 2 years and more than 30000 miles of this use the emissions are better than when the car was new!

Not cheap at expected £300.00 but could keep an old car legal at less expense than a new engine, fitted in 10-minutes it gives immediate impovement.

No doubt cost will decrease as more units sold.
Chips

Postscript - Richard Bushell the inventor has face cancer and reports on tonights South Today say it's possible he won't live to see this, having been given 3-months to live in worse scenario, his son will continue the business in that worse case.

Last edited by chipsceola; 21st September 2011 at 17:54.. Reason: PS added
chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 18:01   #2
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Hi Gadgetboy - the BBC test car a Volvo T5 has now done 240,000+ miles and the Intech valve was according to the report fitted 30000 mile ago. The suggestion is that a car that would otherwise fail on emissions (age of no importance) will pass his based on this statement when the Volvo was tested:

"Your carbon monoxide emissions are down by 80%." Richard said. "And the hydrocarbons are down by 50%. The catalytic converter, which has never been changed since the car was built, is probably cleaner than it has been for ten years."

Chips
Old 21st September 2011, 22:15   #3
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Fair enough, the link leads only to a printed article not the original TV transmission, I remember the programme, but obviously after 2 years am not able to quote original emission figures before the Intech valve was fitted.

It was screened again tonight as I said, and hopefully will be available on BBC player in next 48hrs, will watch for that then post another link. They also quoted the m/cycle team that fitted and tested it, then got approval for Moto GP useage, that will be included in the viewer as well.

When I said it could help keep older cars on the road that otherwise would fail an MoT emission test I stated only that, in fact it apparently reduces emissions on new as well old engines, now if only a car/van maker can be persuaded to fit as well, imagine the impact on the environment, after all they currently spend vast sums on emission control when this simple device may work just as well.

Will keep posted,
Chips
Old 22nd September 2011, 09:52   #4
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Hi Gadgetboy

As promised have checked BBC iPlayer and the article is now available to view, see this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ay_21_09_2011/

The programme gives a far better insight into the pro's & con's than I could.
The start is at 4.00 mins and last just over 4 minutes in length.

Chips

Last edited by chipsceola; 22nd September 2011 at 09:53.. Reason: added start time
Old 22nd September 2011, 10:19   #5
Gazmo65
Loves to post

Volvo S80

Sounds good shame about the other part of the story about the guys health I wish him well.
Gazmo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:27   #6
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

This liquid sounds like the stuff they put in ZX1. It does work, but also has side effects that may damage the engine permanently. Its a concentrated product that oil maufacturers have been reducing for many years, not increasing.

The valve. Ecotech valves anyone? Sure they sort of work on some cars, but again have side effects. Personally id not use either.
Old 22nd September 2011, 14:15   #7
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovexCDTi View Post
This liquid sounds like the stuff they put in ZX1. It does work, but also has side effects that may damage the engine permanently. Its a concentrated product that oil maufacturers have been reducing for many years, not increasing.

The valve. Ecotech valves anyone? Sure they sort of work on some cars, but again have side effects. Personally id not use either.
Hi Rovex. Attention was drawn only to the Intech valve that has been proven to reduce emissions on a now 17yr Volvo with 240,000 miles recorded and further tests and by MotoGP team. The other items though shown in the press handout are not what the OP is about. They are also not featured in the news item shown on last link.
Chips
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:36   #8
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

I know, that i was referring to the 'other' type of valve that was a 'miracle' a while back, with endorsement from racing teams, that actually did little or nothing for road cars. This is basically the same thing.

These things always work in one rare situation, but rarely have repeatable results. Slick50 works in a few rare situations. K&N filters give '30bhp more' as they claim (up to) in a few rare situations (heavily restricted, deliberately suffocated American entry level V8s), but the problem is most of the time for most people and cars they have no effect and may actually make things worse.

If these things actually worked they would have licensed them to oil/car/filter manufacturers and made a LOT more money than they do by selling directly to a few gullible customers. Typical licensing fees for this type of thing are 0.5-1% of the net price. That works out to be a LOT more than the money they are making now.
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:54   #9
simdel1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDTi, Porsche 944 Lux, MGF

I'm always incredibly dubious about things like this! Unfortunately I can't view the video that explains how it works, but i've got a good idea based on the emissions results.

Quote:
The major pollutant in the exhaust, carbon dioxide, is down by only a fraction.
*cough* That's because CO2 is directly relatated to how much fuel you burn.

Quote:
Your carbon monoxide emissions are down by 80%." Richard said. "And the hydrocarbons are down by 50%.
So you're getting a more complete burn because there's more air? Shocking stuff!

Quote:
The catalytic converter, which has never been changed since the car was built, is probably cleaner than it has been for ten years."
I'd love to hear how that's the case!

Also, no word about NOx (That I can see anyway).

I'll have to wait till I can see that video and I read more 'technical' reports on this product before I decide what I think of this. I'm still skeptical though!

The Simdel1 Fleet:
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/447/sigmgf.png
simdel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:43   #10
Kearton
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T CDTi

A couple of points following post 11 above:-
  1. In general terms, IF it improves the quality and completeness of combustion, the car should pull better at low speeds & throttle openings, allowing you to use less throttle and or a higher gear for a given speed / load, thus reducing fuel consumption and emissions.
  2. However, if I've understood correctly how it works (a long tube with a one-way valve leading into the inlet manifold), then, with a turbo engine which the TV show's Volvo was, the one-way valve could only open at very low engine speeds and throttle openings (if at all) because the manifold would have positive pressure in it at all other times. Therefore it would have a negligible effect. In such cases I suspect that cleaning the inlet manifold, removing / sealing any manifold leaks (e.g. inter-cooler seals) and using a new, clean and free flowing air filter may have the same effect at lower cost.

Regards,
Kearton

P.S. The video was also available here.

Last edited by Kearton; 23rd September 2011 at 21:01..
Kearton is offline   Reply With Quote