Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th December 2020, 10:06   #11
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

I don't usually go to National Tyres but on this occasion my tyre was flat and I had just blown it back up on the nearby Asda car park not knowing if it would get me home or not and National were only half a mile away so it was a no brainer at the time, but wouldn't have bothered if I had known what was going to happen.

If National or any other tyre place are going to use this policy, they penalise the very people who may need them most in an emergency by charging more if you just turn up, how can that be fair ?

Re the incident Steve Arctic mentioned above I do have 2 other examples of this poor service, turned up at Craddocks Landrover in Cannock, sign on door said on line ordering only for click and collect, 4 people in the office sitting around chatting so I put on a mask and ventured in just to ask if I stood outside and ordered on line could I then just come in and collect, they replied no as it likely be the next day before the order came through to them and I would be sent a text when to collect, even though the part I wanted was in stock and on their shelves and we had a Freelander on ramps doing some work on it with Devilish and we needed the part that day

The other example is Halfords , I made the mistake of ordering on line and turning up to collect within the hour, I had paid on line and was told it hadn't gone through system so if I wanted to walk away with the item ( instant gasket seal ) I would have to pay again and return later for a refund ! I told the assistant that it was on the shelf and I could just go ang get it but she still insisted that I would have to pay for it again if I took it off the shelf so I suggested that she as a Halfords employee took it off the shelf which she did but when she came back still said I had to pay for it, by this time the original order was about 45 minutes old and when she checked again it had gone through so I got my item in the end

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)

Last edited by trebor; 27th December 2020 at 10:09..
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2020, 10:43   #12
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I recently needed some bits from Screwfix, I went in and was told it was online only due to covid. I went outside placed my order in the car park and went straight back in to pick up my stuff. The manageress was rude and told me I had to wait for a confirmation before I could collect. There was no way she could get my stuff straight away because they were so busy ( I was the only person in the shop) . My phone pinged and '' my order was awaiting collection'' I showed her and she looked displeased so had to get my bits.

Going back to the tyres I always use a local unit, because I buy all my tyres from them if I do get a puncture they will usually just do it for no charge. Yes they might be a couple of quid a tyre dearer but there service is first class.

On one occasion the balance on my classic car was feeling off after a month or so having new tyres fitted, I popped in and they said they would have another go in case some of the weights had fallen off. After they had been rebalanced I took it up the road to try it and was no better, they took the tyres off again and checked the wheels were OK and reckoned the tyres were the problem. They fitted another set of tyres FOC even though I had done over 1000 miles on them and they were going to send the others back, I cant see a National Chain doing that.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2020, 11:36   #13
squire
Posted a thing or two

MGB GT, 2 Morris Minor Travellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
I don't usually go to National Tyres but on this occasion my tyre was flat and I had just blown it back up on the nearby Asda car park not knowing if it would get me home or not and National were only half a mile away so it was a no brainer at the time, but wouldn't have bothered if I had known what was going to happen.

If National or any other tyre place are going to use this policy, they penalise the very people who may need them most in an emergency by charging more if you just turn up, how can that be fair ?

Re the incident Steve Arctic mentioned above I do have 2 other examples of this poor service, turned up at Craddocks Landrover in Cannock, sign on door said on line ordering only for click and collect, 4 people in the office sitting around chatting so I put on a mask and ventured in just to ask if I stood outside and ordered on line could I then just come in and collect, they replied no as it likely be the next day before the order came through to them and I would be sent a text when to collect, even though the part I wanted was in stock and on their shelves and we had a Freelander on ramps doing some work on it with Devilish and we needed the part that day

The other example is Halfords , I made the mistake of ordering on line and turning up to collect within the hour, I had paid on line and was told it hadn't gone through system so if I wanted to walk away with the item ( instant gasket seal ) I would have to pay again and return later for a refund ! I told the assistant that it was on the shelf and I could just go ang get it but she still insisted that I would have to pay for it again if I took it off the shelf so I suggested that she as a Halfords employee took it off the shelf which she did but when she came back still said I had to pay for it, by this time the original order was about 45 minutes old and when she checked again it had gone through so I got my item in the end
JLS Land Rover in Darlaston are generally very helpfull, a friend of mine that used to have Land Rovers in the past would never deal with Craddocks.

Martyn.

squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2020, 11:41   #14
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

My son put his new mini in for it's first service at Stratstone Mini. Nothing wrong with it but they said they they had found a nail in the tyre and it was going down and it needed a new tyre at £165. He declined.
I had a look and saw a couple of thin panel pins in it. Took car to Costco who charge a tenner for puncture repairs. They took the tyre off, removed about five panel pins, tested for air leaks and there weren't any. Refitted tyre and refused any payment whatsoever. Tyre still perfect two years later.
That's what I call service from Costco. Cannot fault them.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2020, 12:23   #15
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

I agree these on line "discounts" are a con, but I think it's more down to the staff and there attitude .

My tail of tyre woe from kwik fit

3yrs ago took the tourer in for 4 wheel tracking up on the ramps for about 20mins and done went to pay £89.00 and the manager said we have a deal on for £10 extra you can come back every 3 months for a free recheck and adjustment - bargain deal done.

For the next 4 visits it was the same manager and fitter (a middle age guy who seemed to know his stuff and care about it) each visit was about 10mins with minor tweaking as youd expect after being set up properly. 5 visit same manager young fitter who spent 45 miss on the car and had the oxy bottles out! Fearing the rear arms were on the way out had a good look when I got home, ut no issues.

Couple of weeks later I noticed the rear tyres wearing on the outside, couple of weeks after that cord showing the tyres were lads ails with about 10k on. Back to depot same manager showed him the issue , off to the computer he toddles "ah what's the made of your car sir ?" Rover 75 tourer, "ah the lad tracked it as an MG zt saloon " before I could say anything he said we'll replace both tyres free now and I'll personally check the tracking which he did. Next couple of checks fine. I did make some suggestions after about quality control improvements when he'd done though.

Scroll forward to this year had the zt wheels refurbished and 4 new Avons on , took it to same branch for wheel alingment, different manager now, on the ramps hooked up new manager comes in with print out "they're a bit out but we can't adjust them you need to go to a dealer as it needs special tools", "ok says I" took the keys and left sometimes it's not worth saying anything.

ZT tracked by a company Arctic recommended for £48 and all OK .
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2020, 15:16   #16
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I always use Tyresrus, Moor Lane off the Brookvale Road, Witton, B’ham. You can book a slot after ordering your tyre/s. You can turn up if you like, but because they are so popular you may have to wait. Never been able to beat his prices.Bentley’s, Rollers, Mercedes, Rovers, Taxi’s. Says it all for me.Will phone round if he has not got the tyres you want. Tracking , no payment unless it needs altering. Great bloke and used him for years.

Last edited by bl52krz; 27th December 2020 at 15:20..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2020, 15:31   #17
pbaker
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDTI SE + MG ZS

Default tyre

Hi Kelvo, did you hand wheel your wheel and tyre to the 5 minuete garage
pbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2020, 23:25   #18
Alf Best
Avid contributor

MG-ZTT

I use a local firm Foxhunter Tyres in Whitley Bay, the bloke who owns it is conscientious and takes care about how his customers are treated.

Quickfit are closer, but not even if I were paid would I use them after they wrecked a wheel on my old BMW and refused to take responsibility
Alf Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2020, 09:56   #19
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerman View Post
but I think it's more down to the staff and there attitude.......
This is the critical bit.

My local Toolstation are brilliant and Screwfix is pretty close to that. But from this thread others have issues.

With there being so many places where folks can get stuff I just don't get why business would do anything other than look after their customers.

It’s very simple for me - Look after me and I'll be back time and time again. Mess me about and you'll never see me again.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2020, 10:13   #20
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
This is the critical bit.

My local Toolstation are brilliant and Screwfix is pretty close to that. But from this thread others have issues.

With there being so many places where folks can get stuff I just don't get why business would do anything other than look after their customers.

It’s very simple for me - Look after me and I'll be back time and time again. Mess me about and you'll never see me again.
Your last comment is so true of life I think.I have always believed that if you can not do a good turn, don’t do anything.