Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th January 2021, 18:03   #1
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default Tourer rear tailgate glass remanufacture

Hi all,

Here's something I've been looking into for a couple years now since doing the first batch of Heated Windscreens.

Following on from this thread: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=283460

Working with Ricky Evans Motorsport who done the heated windscreens for me, we've been looking into the possibility of having the rear ones remanufactured for the tourers. Couldn't initially find the drawings for the tourer rear screens, but after sending them one to take measurements from they have confirmed that they could produce them.

Unfortunately they can only produce the glass, and cannot produce the frame that the glass attaches to. I believe back when they used to be available, they were supplied already fitted to the frame.

Therefore, the old glass from the frame would need to be removed and the new glass bonded to the frame.

PRICE:

based on minimum order of 10pcs. the estimated price with tooling and the cost per screen is around £250 per screen. The larger the order, the cheaper the cost per screen would be.

Back when they were available from Autoglass looks like they were over 2 x that price although including fitting and I believe they came complete with the frame: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...02&postcount=9

I originally started looking into this after buying my old Tourer as every single heater element line had failed on it so the rear screen demist didn't work at all. And pretty much all the replacement 2nd hand ones had at least 3 or 4 failed lines that I could find. Luckily eventually managed to get a good one from Mickeyboy with just 1 failed line right at the bottom. But trying to find a perfectly working one these days is rare.

So based on the updated info, just wanted to see how much interest there would be in these?

Cheers
Rick
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2021, 20:24   #2
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

I hope that this happens mate, these second hand ones are completely useless these days, fortunately for me a car came in about 8 weeks ago before xmas that had a perfect one that had all elements working but......I bet I don’t see another one like that again, I’m sure members will take this offer up, and well done for putting the wheels in motion mate, I’ll spread the words to some of my local customers

Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2021, 21:09   #3
cat
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Not in the market for one but many thanks for trying to sort this. I'm a bit worried now though because I do have a tourer, I'll touch wood it stays ok.
cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2021, 21:47   #4
charlie 22
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 2.5V6, Mazda Cx30

Hi, ii still have one of your heated windscreens still in its box, would you do a swap?
Old 27th January 2021, 16:03   #5
Nantwich 75
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Rick,

I would be interested in one.

Mike
Nantwich 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2021, 14:01   #6
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Hi Rick.

Thanks for putting the time and effort into this.

Yes,I'd be interested.

Take care.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2021, 17:15   #7
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyboy View Post
I hope that this happens mate, these second hand ones are completely useless these days, fortunately for me a car came in about 8 weeks ago before xmas that had a perfect one that had all elements working but......I bet I don’t see another one like that again, I’m sure members will take this offer up, and well done for putting the wheels in motion mate, I’ll spread the words to some of my local customers

Mick
Thanks mate

The one you gave me for the Tourer was brilliant which was much appreciated. Was nice to be able to see out of the rear screen in winter for a change.

Any idea what causes the tourer ones to fail so often losing lines when the saloon ones seem to be so reliable? All the lines on redfive and my dad's saloon work perfectly. The ones on my typhoon did as well until the rear screen shattered and was replaced.

From what I could gather from my tourer one, it looked as though the load space had been fully loaded before and had rubbed on the rear screen causing the lines to break. Is this the cause or were the elements a bit weak?

Also if you have or get a scrap rear screen in could you let me know as I'd like one just to have a play with to look into a few things for this project.

[IMG]Hi, ii still have one of your heated windscreens still in its box, would you do a swap?[/IMG]

Wouldn't be able to do a swap but someone did PM me recently asking if I had one spare. I'll see if I can find it and forward the details onto you if you want to sell the screen on.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2021, 16:55   #8
operamagorum
Loves to post

BMW 330i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
Hi all,

Here's something I've been looking into for a couple years now since doing the first batch of Heated Windscreens.

Following on from this thread: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=283460

Working with Ricky Evans Motorsport who done the heated windscreens for me, we've been looking into the possibility of having the rear ones remanufactured for the tourers. Couldn't initially find the drawings for the tourer rear screens, but after sending them one to take measurements from they have confirmed that they could produce them.

Unfortunately they can only produce the glass, and cannot produce the frame that the glass attaches to. I believe back when they used to be available, they were supplied already fitted to the frame.

Therefore, the old glass from the frame would need to be removed and the new glass bonded to the frame.

PRICE:

based on minimum order of 10pcs. the estimated price with tooling and the cost per screen is around £250 per screen. The larger the order, the cheaper the cost per screen would be.

Back when they were available from Autoglass looks like they were over 2 x that price although including fitting and I believe they came complete with the frame: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...02&postcount=9

I originally started looking into this after buying my old Tourer as every single heater element line had failed on it so the rear screen demist didn't work at all. And pretty much all the replacement 2nd hand ones had at least 3 or 4 failed lines that I could find. Luckily eventually managed to get a good one from Mickeyboy with just 1 failed line right at the bottom. But trying to find a perfectly working one these days is rare.

So based on the updated info, just wanted to see how much interest there would be in these?

Cheers
Rick

Hi Rick
For those of us who would be unable to remove old glass from frame and re-fit.
Will you be offering a fitting service or perhaps know someone who can do it?
Thanks
Geoff
operamagorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2021, 18:51   #9
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

This is a good Initiative. Both my rear screens are fine at the moment, but you never know. It does make sense that loads moving in the tourers might scrape and damage the lines. The rear window in the saloon is fairly inaccessible and so less prone to abrasion I guess.
I'd happily order a front heated windscreen for the V8. The one you fitted to your previous ZTT has been awesome this winter.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2021, 15:28   #10
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

If its in the ZT form of the screen i could be interested - i already have 2 working 75 rear screens - and know where a third one might be avaialable soon.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote