Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th March 2015, 22:54   #1
75er
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer cdti

Default Cigar lighter live?

I was thinking of getting one of those solar powered battery chargers which plug into the cigar lighter which seem to have fairly good write ups on amazon, as sometimes the cdti suffers from a flat battery if it's not been used for a couple of weeks. I've read the battery chargers only work if the cigar socket is live, ie work without having to turn the ignition key. The lighter in the cdti isn't live but in my other 75 it is live without having to turn the key. Is someone likely to have fiddled with it so that it is live? I'm guessing now that from the factory they were not live. Has anyone had experience of those solar battery charger thingy before I start meddling?

75er
75er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 23:21   #2
Avora
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 190

I strongly recommend stretching for a new battery, or putting the money towards. My car previous to Wednesday has been sat only being abused for testing various radios and sat navs for nearly a full month. And still started the car fine.

A solar charger, depending on the size of course, will not be that great. Output is typically 5 watts or even less. And if your battery is already low on capacity then is only barely limiting the drain on the battery.

My dad has a small solar panel in his Jeep Commander all the time, who knows if it is any good. His last car had the original battery in it some 12 Years after buying the car. After many battaid tablets.

I wouldn't recommend that though, he probably spent more over the years on battery tablets than a new battery should have cost, along with the persistent fear of it not starting.

To sum up, a decent battery makes for a much more reliable car. Whatever anyone says. But just my 2p worth.
Old 19th March 2015, 23:48   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75er View Post
I was thinking of getting one of those solar powered battery chargers ...
As said above, they're a waste of time and money Chris. Get a proper charger instead, like this one from CTek, or use your car more!

Here's some bedtime reading for you.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 20th March 2015 at 08:35.. Reason: Adding link to past discussion on the subject
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 10:32   #4
jscpch
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDTI Club Saloon

Default Battery problems

My 2003 CDTi cig/accessories socket is definitely live all the time and running a windscreen camera and a satnav from this socket drained my battery twice before I bought a new battery - and then once again with the new one. Dawned on me that such small instruments can easily drain a battery over a period of three or four days non use of the car if running continuously. Now bought a multi socket connection with an on/off switch so I don't have to unplug everything and I just switch on at the same time as firing the ignition.

Last edited by jscpch; 20th March 2015 at 10:34..
jscpch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 10:51   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
The lighter in the cdti isn't live but in my other 75 it is live without having to turn the key. Is someone likely to have fiddled with it so that it is live?
The permanently live cigar lighter came with the change to the mini-fuse board.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 11:41   #6
chiron_myth
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Why not buy a battery isolator switch? Isolate the battery and it's less likely to drain out when you're not using the car... It also male makes a very good immobiliser.
Old 20th March 2015, 12:06   #7
hamster19
Gets stuck in

tourer conn CDTI

My cdti is live all the time, 2004
hamster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 12:15   #8
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

There are also ones that plug into the OBD socket that has a permanent live.
A thread regarding the AA version is here

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 18:58   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
I was thinking of getting one of those solar powered battery chargers which plug into the cigar lighter which seem to have fairly good write ups on amazon, as sometimes the cdti suffers from a flat battery if it's not been used for a couple of weeks. I've read the battery chargers only work if the cigar socket is live, ie work without having to turn the ignition key. The lighter in the cdti isn't live but in my other 75 it is live without having to turn the key. Is someone likely to have fiddled with it so that it is live? I'm guessing now that from the factory they were not live. Has anyone had experience of those solar battery charger thingy before I start meddling?

75er
The socket on my car is live all the time. My car does not get a great deal of use as we tend to use my wife's car.

I have a solar powered charger and it keeps my battery fully charged as it puts slightly more back in than the electronics use in sleep mode.

I, personally, recommend it as time has proved to me it works.---

Your battery should not go flat in a couple of weeks if the internals are in good condition.

Have you ever charged it ???

If not, then put it on charge for at least 30 hours. Then leave it disconnected over night. Check the voltage in the morning and it needs to be around 12.8 volts at least.

Last edited by COLVERT; 21st March 2015 at 17:25..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 19:04   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

75er. Come back and read the posts above.----------
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote