Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th August 2020, 13:28   #1
trefonix

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Creating a computer dashboard for the Rover 75...

Hi all,

I'm a bit of a computer nerd and I've been wondering how challenging it would be to create a digital dashboard for the Rover 75. (Diesel model)

It's my understanding that the Rover 75 and MG ZT function using 3 main serial bus lines: K-Bus, CAN-Bus and Diagnostic Bus. One of the interesting consequences of using a bus topology is that all the information on the bus can be read by any device connected onto this bus. Using this principle it should be relatively simple to engineer a device that wires itself onto one of the main bus lines of the car and reads the data. This could then be processed and data displayed on a digital dashboard similar to what you see on modern cars.

As for data structure, I would assume that the internal bus systems run on a packet based system where they would have a header and a payload. The header would contain the information such as the originating ECU and intended ECU recipient and the payload would contain whatever data is being transmitted.

So my question would be this: what bus would be the best to try to connect to in order to obtain information such as vehicle speed, engine RPM, trip computer data etc? I would assume this would be CAN-Bus. I would also guess that this information can be found from the diagnostic bus - which would be easier to connect to because of the diagnostic port however I would need to investigate whether the data is always transmitted to the diagnostic port and simply read by the T4 device or if the T4 device sends a request packet to each ECU to gain this information - this would be more challenging as I do not have a T4 to reverse engineer however I could try to reverse engineer TOAF.

As for why I want to do this - I'm bored and think it would be cool, plus I'm dying to know what MPG I'm getting and I don't have that fancy LCD display on my dashboard like the top of the range cars get
trefonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2020, 13:34   #2
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Sounds like an interesting project, but if your just after MPG info could you maybe get an aftermarket device that plugs into the ODBC socket or even upgrade your car to the high-line dash?
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2020, 13:39   #3
trefonix

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
Sounds like an interesting project, but if your just after MPG info could you maybe get an aftermarket device that plugs into the ODBC socket or even upgrade your car to the high-line dash?
I could but as far as I know the early diesels do not conform to OBDII standards and therefore would not work but I could be wrong on that.

The other reason for doing it this way is to gain some experience of hacking which appeals to me. I also have 0 budget for this as somebody who is heading off to Warwick University in late September
Old 16th August 2020, 13:54   #4
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Just remember the IPK is basically a central hub for the K bus
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2020, 14:00   #5
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trefonix View Post
It's my understanding that the Rover 75 and MG ZT function using 3 main serial bus lines: K-Bus, CAN-Bus and Diagnostic Bus. One of the interesting consequences of using a bus topology is that all the information on the bus can be read by any device connected onto this bus. Using this principle it should be relatively simple to engineer a device that wires itself onto one of the main bus lines of the car and reads the data. This could then be processed and data displayed on a digital dashboard similar to what you see on modern cars. ....................
I'll admit to being troubled by this until I realized I have a bus pass!
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2020, 14:59   #6
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Not sure how you’d actually display the info, but I’d hate to lose/compromise the lovely off-white retro clocks.
Old 16th August 2020, 17:30   #7
Adam2003
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur

Could turn it into a YouTube series as you progress. Be a great way to keep track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adam2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2020, 18:19   #8
trefonix

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
Not sure how you’d actually display the info, but I’d hate to lose/compromise the lovely off-white retro clocks.
It doesn't need to look modern or high tech, you could quite easily style the digital dashboard to be in keeping with the retro theme of the car
Old 16th August 2020, 19:54   #9
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

It does sound like an interesting project, and will help you pass covid time until uni opens.
I would like to see the result of backward engineering TOAF which is I think a backward engineered (but not as comprehensive of course) T4 program.
You might even be able to come up with some improvements.
Old 16th August 2020, 20:10   #10
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

I believe Toaf is more related to INPA than T4 but I suppose they both have common origins. There was word out in Poland about an Android version of Toaf but I’ve heard nothing since, pity as so many of us have Android headunits and it would be ideal to use. At the moment I’ve got basic stuff on the Android via a wireless bluetooth and Torque Pro but to be able to run Toaf would be a big bonus.

Please!
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote