Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th March 2021, 11:31   #1
Kvl201

MG ZT

Default March 2021: 160 remap

Hello everybody, first post here and I’d like to begin by thanking everyone who has uploaded their experience with servicing, common faults, and everything in between. This is a such a great community.

Now, as the title suggests I had my car remapped this month. I own a 2004 Mg Ztt automatic. Big estate car with a heavy auto gearbox, it’s never going to be anything special, is it..?

Actually, even for a lad in his mid twenties... yes, it can be special.

I bought the car last November after owning a 1.4 VW polo and found the 2.0 turbo engine to be a bit more exciting, for a while. However, despite the extra power i soon learned I wasn’t driving a fast car... just not a slow car! So I found this forum, did the air intake mod and eventually found myself chatting with BigRuss about the 160 remap. Here are my thoughts about the entire process:

1) the car accelerates faster, without a doubt. A short straight on a lovely country drive local to me saw my car shift from 50 - 80 BEFORE the remap, now it hits 50 - 90 AFTER remap just before the end of the straight. This is a test that I planned when I had booked the remap so that I could have some sort of empirical data. - 0 - 30 is outrageously faster, I’ll leave that one there.

2) Russel is the most competent man I’ve had the pleasure to talk about cars with. He knows the ZT/75 inside and out, going through the t4 check process was reassuring, educational and he offered plenty of advice / general knowledge of the car that is and will be beneficial to know. Stuff I’m sure you could find on this forum through lots of digging, all delivered through about 15 minutes. Kudos once again, Russ!

3) Under full acceleration I noticed a feint black smoke in my rear view mirror whilst overtaking a slow moving vehicle. When I say feint, I mean FEINT. Less black smoke than my boss’s standard pick up truck under heavy acceleration. Does this mean I could get a bit more power by improving air flow? Something I’ll scratch my head about for a while, and no doubt start trying different things (will report back once successful).

Long story short: 160 remap 100% worth it. Comes with full t4 diagnosis which is included in the (unbelievably reasonable) price. Note - not advertised as 160 remap, simply gained the name from different people on this forum claiming to have reached 160bhp due to the remap. If I ever get on a rolling road I will report back.

Overall one very satisfied customer.
Kvl201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2021, 12:14   #2
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Russ is one of the people on here I am proud to call a friend. He has helped me in the past and no doubt would do so again if needed, he is that sort on man.
His coffee isn't bad either
Be glad when lockdown is over Russ

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2021, 13:12   #3
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvl201 View Post
Hello everybody, first post here and I’d like to begin by thanking everyone who has uploaded their experience with servicing, common faults, and everything in between. This is a such a great community.

Now, as the title suggests I had my car remapped this month. I own a 2004 Mg Ztt automatic. Big estate car with a heavy auto gearbox, it’s never going to be anything special, is it..?

I bought the car last November after owning a 1.4 VW polo and found the 2.0 turbo engine to be a bit more exciting, for a while. However, despite the extra power i soon learned I wasn’t driving a fast car... just not a slow car! So I found this forum, did the air intake mod and eventually found myself chatting with BigRuss about the 160 remap. Here are my thoughts about the entire process:

1) the car accelerates faster, without a doubt. A short straight on a lovely country drive local to me saw my car shift from 50 - 80 BEFORE the remap, now it hits 50 - 90 AFTER remap just before the end of the straight. This is a test that I planned when I had booked the remap so that I could have some sort of empirical data. - 0 - 30 is outrageously faster, I’ll leave that one there.

2) Russel is the most competent man I’ve had the pleasure to talk about cars with. He knows the ZT/75 inside and out, going through the t4 check process was reassuring, educational and he offered plenty of advice / general knowledge of the car that is and will be beneficial to know. Stuff I’m sure you could find on this forum through lots of digging, all delivered through about 15 minutes. Kudos once again, Russ!

3) Under full acceleration I noticed a feint black smoke in my rear view mirror whilst overtaking a slow moving vehicle. When I say feint, I mean FEINT. Less black smoke than my boss’s standard pick up truck under heavy acceleration. Does this mean I could get a bit more power by improving air flow? Something I’ll scratch my head about for a while, and no doubt start trying different things (will report back once successful).

Long story short: 160 remap 100% worth it. Comes with full t4 diagnosis which is included in the (unbelievably reasonable) price. Note - not advertised as 160 remap, simply gained the name from different people on this forum claiming to have reached 160bhp due to the remap. If I ever get on a rolling road I will report back.

Have you checked the intercooler O rings? You shouldn't have any smoke at all with the map that the OG T4 operators put on. It doesn't put quite enough fuel in for it to smoke.

If you've done the O rings, then I'd say next place would be to check the boost hose hasn't got a slight split, and make sure the EGR and manifold are clean, as they could be restricting the engine from getting enough air.

The air intake mod, is that where you cut the intake pipe? This is not a restriction on the cars. My old ZT had a larger VNT turbo fitted and it managed 180bhp with a completely standard intake system (apart from the turbo, and the pipe from the MAF to the turbo) and produced no smoke . Fit a proper air intake back on and you will notice less engine noise.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2021, 18:02   #4
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Have you changed the PCV fiter a blocked one can cause smoke.

Ive had the map on both my cars and they've been smoke free.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2021, 18:50   #5
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvl201 View Post

By the way, forgot to say. If you want a free dyno run and printout drop me a PM and we can get it sorted
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote