Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th January 2007, 23:18   #11
Alan
Avid contributor

Other Make

I think he means that £2,500 is the maximum sum for a single claim under the warranty.

The light oak plastic looks fine in that car and no worse than the burr walnut plastic in older cars - though not as good as the synthetic wood veneer in the oldest cars.

I haven't seen the burr walnut in the oldest cars for years but from what I remember it wasn't any better than the walnut veneer in the 600 GSi which whilst very pretty, wasn't REAL wood either ( not like in the P5B for example).
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 08:46   #12
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Gents we are not going to get into a bun fight over plastic wood and the colour schemes etc here are we? Keep it friendly or I will clobber this thread if it gets too personal

Alan your observation re the earlier dash does intrigue me as I have looked at the composition of my spare one and I really can't decide if there is any real veneer under the laquer or not it is definately of a different construction to the later type and the wood looks more convincing but as to whether there is a sheet of real wood bonded to the substrate I just can't tell

I have done some veneering in the past and this looks just too uniform to me

FYI the back of the earlier dash looks like this

Last edited by Keith; 11th January 2007 at 12:24..
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 08:48   #13
Daniel Sheard
Regular poster

Some of the P5B panels are veneered also. I'm part way through refinishing mine.

To my eyes the early 75 panels look very nice. I've not seen the light coloured ones as per that V8 in the flesh, but in the photo to me they just look plain nasty.
Daniel Sheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 17:25   #14
Alan
Avid contributor

Other Make

Daniel, they are not bad in the flesh. When I bought my facelift I didn't regard the change from the burr walnut as a plus point but I could never say I dislike it (don't love it either). I regard all the recent "wood" fascias not as real wood but probably a better alternative to boring plastic which, no matter how high a quality - is still boring plastic.

I loved the wood veneer and door cappings in my 600 but my wife laughed when I tried to suggest that it was real wood - it certainly looks much more realistic than the later 75 trim but not as real as say a 1970s Jag.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 20:52   #15
apywell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon. 2.0 Diesel Auto. Connoisseur SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I noticed there is not a single Rover V8 for sale on autotrader now.

Just this one on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=18262

What's he on about, Bentley grill!
It's just missing that Mustang badge eh Keith.....

Now has an S-Type 2.7 diesel V6 twin turbo with Jag voice, bluetooth, sat nav, front and rear park assist, electric fold mirrors etc, etc, etc.....
apywell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 07:00   #16
Daniel Sheard
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Daniel, they are not bad in the flesh. When I bought my facelift I didn't regard the change from the burr walnut as a plus point but I could never say I dislike it (don't love it either). I regard all the recent "wood" fascias not as real wood but probably a better alternative to boring plastic which, no matter how high a quality - is still boring plastic.

I loved the wood veneer and door cappings in my 600 but my wife laughed when I tried to suggest that it was real wood - it certainly looks much more realistic than the later 75 trim but not as real as say a 1970s Jag.
Strange isn't it - some plastic wood panels in cars look absolutely dreadful. You have to wonder some times how anybody could like them. Had some in a volvo 850 which just looked naff.
Daniel Sheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 16:37   #17
Chaikaman
Regular poster

Ford Mustang GT/CS

Come to think about it, the Black Oak finish as offered on the Contemporary Rover would have looked nice on the black car for sale.
Chaikaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 21:35   #18
tourerfogey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Sheard View Post
Strange isn't it - some plastic wood panels in cars look absolutely dreadful. You have to wonder some times how anybody could like them. Had some in a volvo 850 which just looked naff.
Jaguar do some really light coloured ones in the S Type - makes the car look like it's been furnished by Ikea.
tourerfogey is offline   Reply With Quote