Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th February 2007, 17:30   #1
Rich
Posted a thing or two

http://Roadca.ms - Letting you see what they see!

Question Your inner arches

Just out of sheer curiosity, are your (260 owners) front inner wheel arches the same as mine or have they been altered to shoehorn the V8 in?

Ta
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 18:04   #2
Tim
Feel the size of my Quads

MG ZT 440SE, MG HS PHEV & MG3

Talking

The same-ish. I have light bulb doors on the 75 which I don't have on the 260. But the 260 has Xenon lights
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 19:11   #3
Rich
Posted a thing or two

http://Roadca.ms - Letting you see what they see!

No sorry I didn't mean the wheel arch plastic liner things, I meant the steel inner wing?
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 19:38   #4
bigsteve
Regular poster

ZT V8

Default 260 shell differences

As far as I know the only shell differences between a FWD 75/ZT and the V8 version is the front 2 feet of the transmission was cut out after after the car came down the standard production line and was replaced with a larger one and the rear boot floor was cut out above the diff unit and a different spare wheel panel was fitted to clear the RWD diff. Apart from different subframes and a diff etc and trim options the only other major difference was the wiring loom. front brakes are bigger but seem to be fitted to a FWD hub with the drive shaft hole blanked off, UNLESS YOU KNOW DIFFERENT !!!!!

Steve F owner of 1 3/4 V8':SHOCKED: s
bigsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 22:16   #5
Countach
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T 190

Does that mean you could modify a Fwd ZT into a RWD ZT without **too much** hassle?
Gosh, then I could get a the V8 tourer in spec I desire!

according to the PPC article, the reason the quadcam V8 wasn't used was because that would've ment changing the wheel arches...
Countach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2007, 06:32   #6
Womble
Avid contributor

ZT-T 260

I'm afraid it's not quite that easy!

Whilst the 260 looks externally pretty much identical to the other ZTs, there are far more differences than you would ever imagine...

1. Pretty much every single suspension component is different.

2. Whilst the front brakes are the same as the 190, the calipers are in a different position. The rear brakes are completely different, and larger than the fronts.

3. The steering rack is different (shorter ratio).

4. The transmission tunnel is wider in order to accomodate the larger gearbox, which is why we have no ashtray and different floor mats.

5. It is correct that they couldn't fit the 32v engine in without having to cut away too much of the shell. I'd heard bulkhead, but it could well also be wheel arches. Having said that, you couldn't fit the 16v engine to an existing FWD car without also stripping out the existing aircon system and replacing it with the 260s less effective but also much smaller system.

I'm sure you could get someone more knowledgeable to give you the next 75 things you'd have to change! One point of interest is that it would be easier for you to convert an auto car into a 75 V8, as the gearbox in that car is smaller than the Tremec box in the 260, so you wouldn't have to worry about losing the ashtray.

'Kermit' - MG ZT-T 260 Mk1 - VIN 019
Womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2007, 09:30   #7
bigsteve
Regular poster

ZT V8

Default V8 differences

Sorry we were only talking about inner arches and shell differences, it looks like the thread has expanded to the car.

So the differences are
front subframe, hubs, brakes are bigger i think,, anti roll bar, rack, engine !, gearbox, washer bottle, air filter etc, exhaust, rear subframe and everything on it although it bolts to the original body mountings as does the front subframe. electrics are very different on the engine side. SE spec is much higher than non-se but is done using the same bits as the rest of range.
the front centre consol is shorter because of the bigger tunnel so no ash tray is fitted, why did they not modifiy the right hand cup holder thats blanked off into a ashtray, I dont care as I am a non smoker. Battery is also moved to boot along with cd player and sat nav if fitted.
extra bracket bolted to rear of the car to hold silencer on the other side. different carpet fitted i think due to bigger transmission tunnel.
theres not much that different, if you change the whole of front and rear subframes complete with all the compents fitted to them, I know as I am reshelling a V8 now.
The quad cam engine will not fit with out cutting back the front surspension turrets as the heads are much wider you still may not get enough clearance:bowdown, but they could of put the 3 valve motor in, but it may of cost more to get from Ford

Wanted a TV ampifier that fit inside by the rear window, interior light lens, pair of electric and heated SE front seats, covers unimportant as will be recovered., rear boot floor tray for a V8

I am selling some bits on ebay now

Steve F
Old 21st February 2007, 12:03   #8
Scarlet Fever
Avid contributor

ZT 260 (#27 of 217)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
rear subframe and everything on it although it bolts to the original body mountings
Kind of, there are additional shock mounts either side of the rear diff too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
no ash tray is fitted, why did they not modifiy the right hand cup holder thats blanked off into a ashtray, I dont care as I am a non smoker.
Could have been done easily i reckon, a pop out tray would work well. Got the LHD cupholder fitted to mine (as i have the phone bracket fitted in place of the RHD cupholder the car came with).
ZT 260 - #27
Scarlet Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2007, 16:34   #9
Tim
Feel the size of my Quads

MG ZT 440SE, MG HS PHEV & MG3

Talking

Don't forget the rear central airvent is missing, half the wheel well takes the diff housing, and the cold adjust dial on the centre of the dash is missing. Smaller heater unit, completely different air con units. Different drive angles on the rear wheels.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2007, 18:10   #10
bigsteve
Regular poster

ZT V8

Attachment 606

Attachment 607

Attachment 608

Just a few pictures just case you can see any other differances on the V8 version, doner car and new shell

cheers

Steve