Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th September 2014, 16:59   #1
Abbadon
Avid contributor

MG ZT+

Default Caliper carrier bracket - fixing bolts on rear

Can anyone guide me on the best method to undo and more importantly re-torque the caliper carrier bracket bolts, when replacing a rear wheel bearing/hub?

Its a devil to get any decent tool on to them, apart from a simple ring spanner of 13mm, which is not long at all.

I can just about get them off, but I was worried about the bolts rounding since I would have rather used something 6 sided not multipoint..

But I cannot get anything on to them that I can get the torque wrench on to, there is no access for a socket with any sort of extension or flexible joint....

Since they are holding the calipers on I don't like the thought of just doing them back up with the spanner...

Andy
Abbadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 17:12   #2
okenora
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Conn CDT SE + intelligence pack

have you removed the caliper off the carrier or did you to unbolt it as one unit? access is far better with the caliper off, good enough for a 3/8" drive socket, maybe a small 1/2" drive one
okenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 20:04   #3
Abbadon
Avid contributor

MG ZT+

It's the upper arm that's in the way of the upper bolt, I accept the lower one might be easier, both the Haynes and a good thread on here say don't remove calliper tho so I assumed there must be a way or tool I don't have?
Old 30th September 2014, 20:12   #4
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Remove the Caliper first. A decent ratchet ring spanner will undo the Caliper. If your changing the discs and pads, give the two bolts a squirt of WD-40 the night before.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 20:30   #5
Doc Evil
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8 Classic Saloon

Remove calliper
Undo with ring/ratchet spanner then apply thread locking compound to thread on reassembly
Doc
Old 30th September 2014, 20:58   #6
okenora
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Conn CDT SE + intelligence pack

just did this job last week, caliper off gives best access for a spanner but I could get a socket on both the bolts, shallow 13mm 3/8th" socket for top bolt and got a 1/2" socket with wobble bar onto bottom one. Was the n/s bearing I did, can't see o/s being much different. If you are worried about rounding the bolts then give yourself the best odds by getting 2 new bolts and a good quality 13mm long spanner.

Last edited by okenora; 30th September 2014 at 21:00..
okenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 21:27   #7
Doc Evil
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8 Classic Saloon

If you get new genuine bolts from rimmers will have thread locker on already so dont add more
Doc
ps you can tell if they have the thteads are blue for med strength or red for high should only need med strength locker
Old 1st October 2014, 07:55   #8
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbadon View Post
But I cannot get anything on to them that I can get the torque wrench on to, there is no access for a socket with any sort of extension or flexible joint....

Since they are holding the calipers on I don't like the thought of just doing them back up with the spanner...
Andy if you cut down an old socket you can use the torque wrench on a spanner or Allen key. Just keep the wrench as near to the bolt as possible.

I made up two to cover different size spanners and Allen keys.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 18th November 2019 at 09:21..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 18:52   #9
Abbadon
Avid contributor

MG ZT+

That's a clever little setup there! Does the distance from Allen key end to wrench affect the actual torque much? I. E reduce or magnify torque at the fixing?
Old 2nd October 2014, 07:56   #10
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yes the further you move the torque wrench away from the bolt you are tightening the higher the force, so good to keep the wrench as near to the bolt as possible.

As with all things there is a tolerance, and with anything that requires an accurate tightening torque the manufacturer should allow access for a torque wrench to be used.

At least you won't leave anything too loose doing it this way and you should be well inside the ball park.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote