Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Events and Meets > Regional Events Forum: London & The South
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st July 2019, 10:44   #1
Yeti
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT190+, MG ZT-T Diesel

Default Shiner’s House Fire

I do not know if this has filtered through the grapevine yet, but Shiner had a major fire in his house last week. Not sure yet if it is a total loss, but thought that people may be able to offer support from this region, as I know he has gone out of his way to help myself and lots of you too. I have been trying to help in anyway poss but difficult as live so far away. A phone call or text from some of you would really go a long way to helping him feel as if he is in your thoughts too. Appreciate anyone making the effort for a really nice helpful.chap who always helps others even at his own detriment. Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 31st July 2019, 14:14   #2
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

I hadn't heard, so many thanks for the heads up. Such a terrible thing to happen to a genuinely nice bloke - I really hope he and his family are all ok.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2019, 15:04   #3
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Yep like wise here, not good, as long as everyone is okay and safe that's the main thing.
Trouble is we live so far away to offer any immediate support.

Rev. (Julien)
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2019, 17:44   #4
chillyphil
Gets stuck in

MGZT-T

I dont know Shiner, but I live fairly local in Paignton.
Does anyone have any ideas of what help I could offer?

Phil
chillyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2019, 18:31   #5
Stormbringer
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Poor Andy. If someone can set up a crowdfund or similar I'm quite happy to chip in few quid.

Pete
New boot lid with spoiler fitted
Plenum Guard fitted
To do
Reversing sensors.
Xenon headlights
Twin horns.
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2019, 22:30   #6
Yeti
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT190+, MG ZT-T Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillyphil View Post
I dont know Shiner, but I live fairly local in Paignton.

Does anyone have any ideas of what help I could offer?

Phil

Cheers matey, but Shiner lives in Finchampstead near Reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 4th August 2019, 09:45   #7
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Very sorry to hear this, only met Andy once I think, wishing himself and his family well, hope things get sorted for them very soon.
Old 4th August 2019, 10:14   #8
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Some people "take on", some people get "sh.. on", and others cop it left right and centre.
I do wish Andy and his family best wishes and hope you can get through this soon.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2019, 13:33   #9
harrisop48
Passed Away

Rover 75 Tourer Club CDTi 2.0 2002 Royal Blue Paint JFM Trim LBB

Thanked 1,043 Times in 364 Posts

I deliberately left Andy alone the early part of last week following the fire. This was to allow him to come to terms with it and sort out some immediate issues.
I spoke to Andy Thursday night and asked him to respond to Yeti's comments.
He has not yet had time to do this but assures me all damage is covered by insurance. He will be going into a short term rental for 2 weeks whilst hunting a long term rental for 6 months, pending rebuild/refurbishment. He understands folks are feeling his pain and appreciates your kind thoughts but would prefer not to have any involvement in crowd funding.
harrisop48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2019, 18:09   #10
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisop48 View Post
I deliberately left Andy alone the early part of last week following the fire. This was to allow him to come to terms with it and sort out some immediate issues.
I spoke to Andy Thursday night and asked him to respond to Yeti's comments.
He has not yet had time to do this but assures me all damage is covered by insurance. He will be going into a short term rental for 2 weeks whilst hunting a long term rental for 6 months, pending rebuild/refurbishment. He understands folks are feeling his pain and appreciates your kind thoughts but would prefer not to have any involvement in crowd funding.
Hi Peter, thank you

One of the first things Andy will need help with, is to do an inventory for what was lost or damaged. This can be referred to in case the insurers start to be difficult. He is going to need someone he can trust and who is loyal to him, someone who will do the paperwork, keep all receipts and who is able to get 3 prices for each item the family needs for replacements, furniture, bedding, clothes, household goods, then put it on a spread sheet for submission to the insurance company. He will need a project manager to keep an eye on costs with the rebuilding as some builders are notorious for cutting corners to save their own money. It seems overwhelming as Andy works full time, but these things can be overcome with the right help.

Support is not this week, it will have to continue in the weeks and months/years ahead. On top of that, there is the emotional and psychological damage done by a fire. A fire destroys memories, family photos, the feelings of being at home. Andy is going to have to face this and it is going to be hard on him and his family. I suspect it has not hit him yet.

We went through this ourselves in April 2011, when we lost the house and farm to a bush fire in South Africa, all that was left, was the clothes we stood up in. I write from personal experience and having dealt with a major loss, the insurance and rebuilding. The smoke stayed in my lungs for 3 weeks and one person died on the farm in her house during the fire. My reply concerns Andy and practical help.

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 4th August 2019 at 18:15..
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote