Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th November 2019, 08:17   #81
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
... read on different forums that ATF also is a really good flushing and cleaning element.
Why would anyone even consider doing that when an inexpensive product is available specifically manufactured for the task?

Simon
Old 14th November 2019, 09:06   #82
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Well I just thought that would help, like a warm up before the big exercise lol, anyways, just wanted some thoughts on this and as I said maybe someone on the forum did that and would like to share the results
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2019, 22:18   #83
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Ok so I received today my mechanic stethoscope and closely listened to almost every single part of the timing and engine that I could get to, it has a long extendable stick which helped a lot, and couldn't find anything conclusive, I only found normal and quite "ticks" that an engine would do, for example injectors opening and closing, valves, and so on, compared it to other 2 petrol engines that my family owns and everything seemed normal and nothing outstanding, only the inward bank of the engine sounded just a little more ticky than the other one, but nothing pronounced and of the same intensity/frequency like the ticks I hear inside the car and those that can be heard in the recordings I made. But then, I kind of gave up and said well let's check out the clutch's master cylinder copper piping too, and there it was, the same exact type of metal tapping sound I hear, same exact frequency, intensity and tone of awful ear pain... went further and laid the stick on the clutch bleed screw, exactly the same. So I'd say with 99% accuracy that the tapping is coming from the clutch somehow, it's obviously the same sound, I am so obsessed with it by now that I could point it out from hundreds pf others lol, but what could it be now that I know the general source? I am thinking that maybe the flywheel is spinning a little eccentric or it might be quite worn by now? Although about 10-15k miles ago I replaced the whole clutch assembly with a metal slave cylinder (tazu), master metal cylinder, borg and beck clutch disk and pressure plate, only the flywheel was left out and not replaced as the mechanic told me that there was no sign of wear on it and it looked perfectly fine... and that's a mechanic that I know for more than 5 years and which I know 100% I can trust. I am only assuming now, maybe a worn flywheel? If you would think of another even more conclusive way for me to further investigate this hypothesis with the stethoscope please let me know and give your thoughts on what could actually cause this. As I said, when listening with the stick all the timing and aux pulleys and other engine parts like manifolds, injectors valves (atleast as heard from listening to the valve covers) seemed normal.
Old 15th November 2019, 08:48   #84
SD1too

Car fault diagnosis is certainly unpredictable at the best of times but that's an unexpected discovery. I gave up on clutches decades ago so I have no knowledge of the 75/ZT system or the Tazu but I'd say that it's time to revisit the work you did 10 - 15,000 miles ago and inspect it for a developing problem.

I think that you can forget about the flywheel being the cause.

I'm interested in your stethoscope. Can you post a link to it please?

Simon
Old 15th November 2019, 09:42   #85
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Of course Simon, I think you'll see the page in italian, I recently moved to Italy and that's why I buy from Amazon Italy haha. Anyways, you can just look on the web for a mechanics or automotive stethoscope and you'll find plenty of models, this is also a great way to diagnose rattling manifolds or bad bearings or any similar stuff.

Anyways, getting back to my issue. What would be the worst case scenario in my case? What if the flywheel gets worse and gives up completely and for example it breaks or wobbles too much around? What would be the worst effect it can create?
Old 15th November 2019, 09:51   #86
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
What if the flywheel gets worse and gives up completely and for example it breaks or wobbles too much around?
It won't be the flywheel.

Simon
Old 15th November 2019, 11:58   #87
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Then what would it be exactly? Please don't tell me it'll be the new clutch disk or pressure plate... And guess what happened today lol, flywheel started slipping, clutch works perfectly fine but AFTER in gear, it slips and it's developing quite fast... Now I am thinking that the rather new disk and pressure plate should be still intact and I should only replace the flywheel, am I right? What brands do you suggest? Also, does this model have dual mass flywheels or only single mass?

Update: Got so worse I can't even get the car to catch a little speed.. I have to drive really really slow so that it doesn't slip and makes something else in there go bad too. I left the car in the garage for now and the only road it will see again until repaired is a 2 miles way to the mechanic.

EDIT: Opened now another thread which is focused on this issue since the subject of the matter changed.

Last edited by Rsnail; 15th November 2019 at 16:38..
Old 18th November 2019, 20:12   #88
Paul Taurai Chitsaka

Rover 75 saloon 1.8litre

Hi i had tht similar problem after servicing her i had used 5w40 so changed to 10w40 magnetic thts what i use in my car especially in Africa it gets really hot temperatures reaching 42degress

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Paul Taurai Chitsaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2019, 05:28   #89
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

And did it cure the tapping noise? My car has actually started to develop a.pretty bad misfire too for cylinder 5, I swapped spark plugs, coils, leads from a good cylinder to that one and the misfire remained on cylinder 5, even cleaned and tested the injectors at my mechanic's garage and all are spraying perfectly now, but misfire still there, I am starting to think that if the lifter is causing the tapping, than it could also cause the misfire since one valve doesn't properly close anymore, what do you think guys? I am really out of every singe idea I could possibly think of...
Old 22nd November 2019, 12:25   #90
Paul Taurai Chitsaka

Rover 75 saloon 1.8litre

It did cure that tapping noise used 10w40

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Paul Taurai Chitsaka is offline   Reply With Quote