Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 & ZT Gallery
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th October 2019, 21:24   #11
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

Back home and work started in earnest, interior came out and the first of the never ending bodges were seen, no airbag seat plugs on either seats , radio out and the wiring was , ah, more bodgery.
I removed the sun visors as they were the wrong colour, yet another bodge here ��

So then I have to remove the door seal and drop the headlining and try to get the pillar airbag cover off just so that I can run the wiring correctly through the hole, I also have to do the other side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Ched; 9th October 2019 at 21:28..
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2019, 21:40   #12
Ched

12 July off she goes to get the chassis leg straightened, it was about 10mm out of alignment.

Old 9th October 2019, 21:44   #13
Ched

A few days later and she’s back, now the rebuild can begin. 😀

Old 9th October 2019, 21:50   #14
Ched

Wings off to reveal this so cleaned up and then painted, another bodge here for the eagle eyed, no,........... the wiring for the powerfolds was just pushed over the rubber instead of pushed through the tubing.

A job I wasn’t looking forward to was the removal of the lower strut bolts, plus gas and a blowtorch soon got these loose . ��

Ian, macaffee 2 kindly offered his help to replace the springs, top mounts were replaced too.

Last edited by Ched; 9th October 2019 at 22:03..
Old 9th October 2019, 21:52   #15
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I do like these threads.

I have been meaning to do one for my first 75, which I bought a few months ago. The rate of progress on mine will be a lot lower...
richw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2019, 21:57   #16
Ched

I bought the car early May, she went on the road mid August, the trip to Holland for the car show had been booked, so no pressure on me there were times I did wonder if she would be ready.
Old 9th October 2019, 22:09   #17
Ched

Another before of the inner wing.

Front end going back together nicely, all the electrics checked and all working as it should, then the engine was started for the first time in several weeks.

Wing and door replaced and the powerfold wiring correctly placed.

Front shocks were then refitted, then alot of time was spent aligning the slam panel and bonnet catches and getting the cables right and greased up, I took the catches apart, cleaned it all up greased then reassembled ,the bodger had been here before as nothing lined up or shut correctly, time to get the headlights on next.

Last edited by Ched; 9th October 2019 at 22:41..
Old 9th October 2019, 22:37   #18
Ched

Headlamps were fitted then polished, then the bumper was put on, it was a terrible fit, on closer examination the polystyrene bumper infill used in the mk2 is too small, luckily I had some polystyrene sheet so I used some to pack the infill out , the result speaks volumes . 😀

Before.

After.

Old 10th October 2019, 21:38   #19
Ched

This is what the front pads looked like

There was a rattle in the boot lid, so apart it came, the bodger had been here too, one of the nuts had become lodged in the lid and had then worked itself loose.
Mg7 lights were then fitted.

In early August the car was back on the road with a few more little jobs to do.

The interior of the car when built was blue alcantara however, someone in its past decided to sell it and put the grey seats in.

A friend then pointed me to a car on Facebook that was being broken, amazingly it had a lovely blue alcantara interior, I quickly made contact with the guy and bought them, a trip to Ramsgate then followed to collect it.

I wasn’t disappointed with it at all, very light wear on the drivers seat and the rest was in a lovely condition.

The guy had snipped the cable’s as far back as he could which made it a lot easier for me to rejoin the wires, now with the plugs fitted.
Repair complete and no more airbag light on.

I put my own xtrons unit in as it is quite new, almost a year old but its had no more than three months use, quite frankly they are rubbish, it does nothing but play up, and for me personally the aftermarket support is rubbish,that and a drivers cup holder, the interior was now complete.

I could not lock the drivers door with the key so off came the card,Bill the bodger had been here too ��.
How on earth someone can mess straightforward wiring up is beyond me so that was sorted out.
Moving onto the lock I found a part missing from the mech which allows the door to be locked with the key, strewth, if it was at the bottom of the door I wouldn’t mind but it was missing,I found what I was looking for in my spares box, assembled back together and I can now lock the car with the key.

Last edited by Ched; 28th November 2019 at 00:05..
Old 10th October 2019, 21:57   #20
Ched

In the paperwork that came with the car was a receipt for £245 for an angel remap so whilst on the Boxtel trip I asked Brian if he would be so good to look and see what it had been remapped to, surprisingly the car had the same map it had left the factory with

With a crowd standing in front of the car and bonnet up Brian went to start the car, what can only be described as welding sparks coming from the starter motor, the cable was checked to see if it was loose but it wasn't.
The starter had always been lethargic in its job so a replacement was ordered.

In the meantime I ordered a repair kit which very quickly arrived, so the removal of the motor began.
It then became very apparent what the prob with the motor was, the bodger had been here before and had not done the nut securing the cables up at all, the cables had welded themselves to the stud bolt on the motor.
Trying to undo it sheared the stud.

Motor removed and stripped out it again was apparent the bodge king had done his stuff, one of the contacts were bent, goodness knows how.
All back together and turned the key to start, one very healthy sounding starter motor, another unexpected job done well.