Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th December 2011, 22:08   #1
KEN BATTY
Avid contributor

75 contemporay

Default BT

MARTIN LEWIS HIGHLIGHTED A WAY OF SAVING 55 QUID A YEAR ON LINE RENTAL

BT are increasing line rental from 13-90 to 14-60 third increase this year i followed his advice and have paid 120 quid by card for a years line rental saving 55 quid =10 quid amonth

If you have the spare cash well worth it

i also have a bt vision box not used to its full potential so was cancelling contract and going to buy one , the lady said why do you wish to cancel i said cant afford to pay for something not being fully used she gave me new deal dropped from 12-50 to 4 quid so all in all im saving 13-10 per month
KEN BATTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 22:13   #2
andyg2011
This is my second home

no mg/rover ATM

Wink

good tip

Please click below for nano website and 2014 dates etc etc
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/i...nocard_sig.jpg

Thanks

Andy
andyg2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 01:29   #3
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Talking

Quote:
KEN BATTY: BT are increasing line rental from 13-90 to 14-60, third increase this year.
Shocking how they are allowed to get away with this, "Regulator" equals "Spiv" with regard to utility comps in my book. I also opted for the advance annual-payment option with TalkTalk, but they insist on tying you in to a 12-month contract for doing so. :xmas-smiley-005:
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 18:36   #4
carl
Posted a thing or two

MG ZS 180, MGF 75th Aniversary and Kirsts ZT CDTi 135+, MG ZT-T CDTi

the advance option is a good one - just beaware they dont always tell you its running out so remember to renew next year
Old 9th December 2011, 06:51   #5
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

All the more reason not to use BT for anything. Its a shame we still have to deal with BT Openreach if you have a fixed line, whoever actually runs your line.
Old 9th December 2011, 07:27   #6
sean t

rover 75

if you want to save even more cash then do away with bt get broadband through someone else at cheaper rate i went to virgin no phone line then got payg moblie on giffgaff and freeview save myself a fortune always worth a look around nowadays..
sean t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 15:28   #7
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Talking

Quote:
sean t: If you want to save even more cash then do away with bt get broadband through someone else at cheaper rate i went to virgin no phone line then got payg moblie on giffgaff and freeview save myself a fortune always worth a look around nowadays.
Nay cable in our area yet so BT is the only option for line rental, though you can save a few coppers by paying this charge through a different company which then passes it on to BT. Only way of getting rid of BT here is to go for a mobile service, and from what I've read I gather broadband via a dongle is neither cheap nor reliable.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 06:30   #8
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Thats not quite how it works. It depends on the 'market' your exchange is in.

If you have a market 1 exchange everything goes through BT at some point. You cant unbundle your line, and the only broadband you can have is a BT wholesale product. This ususally means the best you can bet is 8MB and you pay near the full BT price. BT is involved in routing you to your ISPs servers and as such you are usually limited in the speed and volume of traffic you can have. Typically on these exchanges, whoever you are with, you will have a slow line and you will be limited to 20 or maybe 40GB of traffic per month if you are lucky.

If you are in Market 2 you can unbundle your line completely, so no BT involvment at all, however you have the choice of only 1 or 2 alternatives

In market 3 you have more choice, and the same BT free option. This normally means BT has no control over your line whatsoever and has no influence on your speed or traffic volume. You can usually get upto 20 or 24MB connections and may have no download limits. This applies to market 2 exchanges as well.

The drawback with all of them is that BT openreach control the exchanges, so although your line is nothing to do with BT, servicing on the line and set up of the line relys on BT openreach. Openreach will install other ISPs equipment for you, but your ISP has no access to the exchange directly.

Cable is nice, but very area dependent. In Exeter Virgin cable is dire. Yes you can have 50MB connections, but actual throughput is poor. Remember connection speed is just how much data can potentially be exchanged between you and the servers, what you actually transfer depends on how loaded the servers are.
Old 10th December 2011, 09:51   #9
e668ecp
I really should get out more.......

Range Rover Evoque and ZT V8 SE

I pay £120 per year for line rental, £3 per month for anytime calls and £5 for broadband. All with BT. The service is first rate, much better than the likes of TalkTalk, Sky, Virgin etc
e668ecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 09:52   #10
e668ecp
I really should get out more.......

Range Rover Evoque and ZT V8 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
Nay cable in our area yet so BT is the only option for line rental, though you can save a few coppers by paying this charge through a different company which then passes it on to BT. Only way of getting rid of BT here is to go for a mobile service, and from what I've read I gather broadband via a dongle is neither cheap nor reliable.
I've had mobile dongles from them all and they are all unreliable and expensive, even Giffgaff who my mobile is now with.
e668ecp is offline   Reply With Quote