Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th April 2019, 14:48   #1
scorpio
Loves to post

75 Tourer zircon silver

Default Diesel intercooler

Hi, hope some one can help me, I have fitted ziton o rings but still the tube keeps blowing out. It seems to pull fine but when you put your foot down you can her a woosh from the bonnet and under load it blows black smoke. Any idea how to stop it.

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur CDT Auto
Zircon Silver
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2019, 15:49   #2
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Peter. Artic (Steve) did a mod on this item. Have a look in the search box because I can not exactly remember what it was. Hope this helps.
Old 25th April 2019, 21:30   #3
scorpio
Loves to post

75 Tourer zircon silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Hi Peter. Artic (Steve) did a mod on this item. Have a look in the search box because I can not exactly remember what it was. Hope this helps.
Hi, I looked at that thread but it's about the hose my problem is the join into the intercooler.

Zircon Silver
Old 25th April 2019, 22:02   #4
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Hi, I looked at that thread but it's about the hose my problem is the join into the intercooler.

I understand that some have experienced issues that you describe, I have been fortunate in that I start by removing everything that may be in the way making the fitting either difficult or worse still - not getting things quite right, fail to prepare = prepare to fail !
So all of the viton seal replacements start with front bumper removed as well as the n/s headlamp unit. Why do all that I hear....
This is because the whole area can be accessed properly, everything can be cleaned after the mess leaking seals provide and some dissolving and evacuation of the oil found at the lower part of the cooler. Also the re-fit is made more clearly visible for things to be put back together again with little room for error. Also other checks can be made while the bumper is off, such as the state of the cooler fins, the plastic ends and if the wiring for the fbh has begun to rub against the cooler itself. To date I have never found any need to use 3 viton seals, but understand that many are happy to do so. A full clean of the intercooler elbow may reveal a possible cause of leakage too. I have also constructed a better hose setup which is out on test on many cars (Not £80 or so for coloured silicone ones either) and thus my method of stripping, cleaning and fitting the components without compromise from items in the way shows me that success is achievable, but you cannot expect everything to simply be ok if you haven't checked everything !
There is a chance that the seals you have fitted may be damaged or compromised if the elbow keeps parting from the cooler, and indeed the elbow itself may be deformed in some way preventing it seating correctly (This would be clear to see properly if the strip-down process was adopted)
So a few ideas to hopefully help you on this, maybe worth checking the cooler end of the elbow and if it looks damaged or compromised or less than round, it may be worth speaking with one of the traders here to source another one with less damage. If really stuck, I would be able to send one to you.
I have never failed in doing the seals change or developments in the "RuncleHose" simply as I make sure things are right before putting the car back into use following re-assembly.

Food for thought...... Hope you may gain from my information, and get the remedy in place soon.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2019, 22:32   #5
ryszard
Gets stuck in

Moonstone diesel,X351 Jaguar and now MG ZT 260

Hi,if I remember correctly the plastic elbow has a nut fastening that holds it in place,when I got my car a few years ago I had he same problem,as Roger has implied the only way is to carefully examine everything and a good clean and washout.My elbow had the moulding that holds the nut broken and so was not securely fastened and with the engine flexing the intercooler pipework was popping out.Regards Ry...
ryszard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2019, 22:35   #6
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

Are you meaning the elbow pops out the intercooler itself?
Have you put the bolt that hold the elbow in place back in?
I wonder if the cooler is damaged whereby the joint isn’t as tight as it should ie the coolers dropped down a bit?
A bit of tear down required to investigate I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25th April 2019, 23:58   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

I have seen & repaired the joint on the radiator fail, the intercooler bend bolts to the joint by way of an 8mm bolt, over time the oil can effect the plastic join on the radiator & it cracks then finally one day breaks free.

You have a couple of choices to repair one is push the bend is as normal, and add a couple of stainless steel screws through the intercooler & into the bend where it inserts.

The other is to make a bracket that wraps round the bend and bolts r screws to the chassis arm, in the case had did the bolt & braces so added them both it will never shift again.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2019, 09:06   #8
scorpio
Loves to post

75 Tourer zircon silver

Thanks all, I have had the whole front end off as I replaced the brushes in the fan. The intercooler and pipe are fine and the fitting this time was as described above. I did modify and fit 3 new rings and the bolt was replaced and seemed secure. I think I will have to try Artics advice and add extra fixings. Rogerheinz57 can you tell me more about the hose you have found please.

Zircon Silver
Old 26th April 2019, 10:45   #9
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

I make these myself. But not marketing them here as folks get the wrong idea and i abide by club rules in relation to selling stuff to modify cars without a traders subscription. I am happy to converse on a better platform to exclude the negative folks who can do what they like and the mods turn a blind eye to it.
Hope your fix works out ok.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote