Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th April 2024, 14:48   #1
MartinBrighton

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Cannot get into my Rover 75, HELP!!

Hi there, I have a 75 Tourer CDTI on an 03 plate. The key fob button to unlock the car hasn't worked in some time. I therefore use the key in driver's lock manually. Today the car won't unlock! There is no noise or movement of the mechanism. Of note, the button that pops up in door card when unlocked is not flush with door card as it normally is when the car is locked. All other door buttons are flush with door card as normal! Also of note is the fact that the door card is slightly loose on drivers door. The battery is holding a charge of 12.3 which, according to a friend, should be enough to work central locking. I know this because the bonnet doesn't close properly atm. A snapped wire I suspect!?

So my question is, can I get into the car another way??? And also, how do I sort bonnet not closing properly (release lever in car is sticking out slightly and I believe that a wire must have gone!) Is this an easy fix???

Many thanks in advance for any help someone can provide me! Martin
MartinBrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2024, 15:49   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Your bonnet not closing may be due to dirt in the catches on the slam panel not closing properly ie, there are little half moon shaped latches which hold the bonnet pins, these may be stuck inside the catches, and need releasing and cleaning. Easiest way is to remove the bumper and slam panel giving access to the release catches. Also, the 2 bolts either side of the slam panel holes may need a little loosening to allow the half moon catch to move. Hope this helps that bit.
Just to add, if you can't see the half moon catch, tap the slam panel with a hammer near the hole in the catch, it should pop out

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk

Last edited by suzublu; 14th April 2024 at 15:57..
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2024, 18:21   #3
Francophile
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connoisseur SE Saloon

Hello MartinBrighton,

At the risk of stating the obvious, does your fob have a good battery? However, it seems to me that the wire loop in the 'banana', linking the lock to the latch, has failed from fatigue due to over use. In that case, you won't be able to open the door manually with any key, it has to be via an effective fob.

You are not light years away from me. If you can obtain a replacement fob, which are fairly readily available on eBay, I will be happy to help you sort out your problem. PM me in the first instance.

Derek.
Francophile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2024, 19:25   #4
MartinBrighton

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francophile View Post
Hello MartinBrighton,

At the risk of stating the obvious, does your fob have a good battery? However, it seems to me that the wire loop in the 'banana', linking the lock to the latch, has failed from fatigue due to over use. In that case, you won't be able to open the door manually with any key, it has to be via an effective fob.

You are not light years away from me. If you can obtain a replacement fob, which are fairly readily available on eBay, I will be happy to help you sort out your problem. PM me in the first instance.

Derek.
Hi there Derek, thanks for reaching out. Sadly my car isn't in Sussex atm. I'm in Camberley, Surrey. The key fob is broken re opening car. But works re locking car. I'm really not tech savvy at all. Would you have a link to the part you mean on ebay? Thanks Martin
Old 14th April 2024, 19:47   #5
MartinBrighton

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi again Derek, Is there any other way to get into my car without smasjing a window?
Old 14th April 2024, 20:11   #6
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

I sent a PM of what I read elsewhere
Ed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2024, 20:45   #7
Francophile
Avid contributor

Hello again Martin,

The idea of a PM was to establish contact info.

You haven't confirmed whether your current fob contains a decent battery. You haven't said, but are the buttons on your fob effective? Does the little light illuminate when you press one? Do those checks before anything else.

If you put 'Rover 75 replacement key fob' in the search engine you will come up with a dozen or more sources. Some offer 'empty' fobs, but others offer blank key/fob units. I deduce from your problem that you don't have a second key. I would advise, therefore, that you purchase a combined unit. Most places, like Timpsons, offer a key cutting service. That will give you a second key. The empty fob will receive the chip, circuit board and 'good' battery from your current key. A request on here should then produce a set of chip and circuit which will have to be programmed to your car. They or not 'universal'. We can pursue the failed link cable at a more convenient time, if you so wish.

Derek.
Old 15th April 2024, 08:36   #8
MartinBrighton

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francophile View Post
Hello again Martin,

The idea of a PM was to establish contact info.

You haven't confirmed whether your current fob contains a decent battery. You haven't said, but are the buttons on your fob effective? Does the little light illuminate when you press one? Do those checks before anything else.

If you put 'Rover 75 replacement key fob' in the search engine you will come up with a dozen or more sources. Some offer 'empty' fobs, but others offer blank key/fob units. I deduce from your problem that you don't have a second key. I would advise, therefore, that you purchase a combined unit. Most places, like Timpsons, offer a key cutting service. That will give you a second key. The empty fob will receive the chip, circuit board and 'good' battery from your current key. A request on here should then produce a set of chip and circuit which will have to be programmed to your car. They or not 'universal'. We can pursue the failed link cable at a more convenient time, if you so wish.

Derek.
Thanks for getting back in touch! As you say, only one key. The red light comes on and I can lock the car remotely. But the unlock button on fob doesn't work. Broken inside I guess. So I always unlock the car with the key in the lock. And, as you know from my previous post, it will not unlock or and makes no movement or noise.
Old 15th April 2024, 09:57   #9
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

This does sound like the cable from the key assy to the lock has failed in the door. I would suggest trying to get the switch repaired on your key and if you can then unlock the car dont lock it again until you car repair the mechanical operation.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2024, 10:25   #10
Francophile
Avid contributor

Quote:
The red light comes on and I can lock the car remotely, but the unlock button on fob doesn't work.
Right, Martin, we are making some minor progress.The symptoms point to one, or possibly two, hiccups in the fob. Either the 'unlock' button is worn out or broken, or the microswitch on the circuit board is u/s. The former will be rectified with a new fob, and the arrival of the new fob will lead to inspection of the circuit board. Hence, a new fob is imperative, vide my earlier post. Meanwhile, shop around for a small firm which fabricates or repairs electronics/circuit board in case you have to replace the microswitch.

Good hunting,

Derek.