Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd September 2009, 14:45   #1
Chris K
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Conn SE Saloon Automatic Gold 68K

Default My plenum got flooded today

My plenum got flooded today and i've managed to drain the top plug & car starts OK, but i'm wondering about the bottom drain plug

1/ Apparently some R75 have lower drain tubes (need cleaning) and some 'later models' have plugs in the lower that dont need maintainance at all - mines '53' plate so which would mine be - i did notice that my upper drain tubes have much bigger drain holes than the ones in the diagrams (that suggesting cutting) which suggest it has already been modified

2/ Is there any long term solution to these drain pipes becoming blocked and taking out my car?
Chris K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 14:55   #2
tazman3
Posted a thing or two

Mercedes C200

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrouk View Post
My plenum got flooded today and i've managed to drain the top plug & car starts OK, but i'm wondering about the bottom drain plug

1/ Apparently some R75 have lower drain tubes (need cleaning) and some 'later models' have plugs in the lower that dont need maintainance at all - mines '53' plate so which would mine be - i did notice that my upper drain tubes have much bigger drain holes than the ones in the diagrams (that suggesting cutting) which suggest it has already been modified

2/ Is there any long term solution to these drain pipes becoming blocked and taking out my car?
have a look at your other thread mate there are two links in it to the clubs HOW TO section look there and all is clear

Martin
tazman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 15:09   #3
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Just to confirm. ALL models have 2 lower drain holes in the plenum, At least 1 of these must be kept clear.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 15:25   #4
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

And don't drive it till you have sorted the blockage! Takes 5 mins. If you have cleared the top one you have done nothing to sort out the problem.
Good luck Dave

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 16:26   #5
Chris K
Loves to post

It's a lot more difficult than it implies for non-mechy - 10 mins i dont think - 'take out scrivet' like i know what one is ) i've ripped off the head but it's out and the cover is off

says pull out the ecu but mine has two loops plugged in the top and no way is it coming out without unplugging them

should i uplug it?

i can see water below it
Old 3rd September 2009, 16:34   #6
zojosc
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8 Club SE Saloon

Quote:
It's a lot more difficult than it implies for non-mechy - 10 mins i dont think - 'take out scrivet' like i know what one is ) i've ripped off the head but it's out and the cover is off

says pull out the ecu but mine has two loops plugged in the top and no way is it coming out without unplugging them

should i uplug it?

i can see water below it
Put where in the country you live and I'm sure a member will pop around and show you how to do it before it is too late.

Andy
Old 3rd September 2009, 16:42   #7
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

If you can see water below it then you need to drain it, now. directly delow the ECU there will be a rubber drain pipe, this is blocked. it is similar to the ones on the inner wing. a thin length of bamboo or similar will do just gently prod between the ECU and pollen filter, you will find it Where are you?

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
Old 3rd September 2009, 16:43   #8
paulmariner
Avid contributor

75 CDTi Connie Auto tourer 54 160 re-map

Quote:

should i uplug it?

i can see water below it
Don't panic.
This happened to mine some time ago and I thought I'd never get the ECU out, you can, be gentle with it, it'll certainly come out of the housing by gently levering upwards without removing the leads. You'll then expose the bottom hole. Just push a long rod (perhaps a long screwdriver or a pice of dowel into the hole until the blockage is cleared. It'll pass out from below.
Then gently return the ECU and make good the covers.

You'll be fine, good luck.:lol::lol:

Last edited by GreyGhost; 3rd September 2009 at 19:00.. Reason: word altered
paulmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 16:58   #9
Chris K
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmariner View Post
Don't panic.
This happened to mine some time ago and I thought I'd never get the ECU out, you can, be gentle with it, it'll certainly come out of the housing by gently levering upwards without removing the leads. You'll then expose the bottom hole. Just push a long rod (perhaps a long screwdriver or a pice of dowel into the hole until the blockage is cleared. It'll pass out from below.
Then gently return the ECU and make good the covers.

You'll be fine, good luck.:lol::lol:
it came out with the housing but i had to unplug it - rodded the hole with screwdriver and it *trickled* out (still commin out now) - it will drain but it sounds like it needs something thicker pushing thru - i've put it all back together (bout 1" water still to drain) and i'll have to try again tomorrow

can i expect to do this every time it rains for fear of wiping out my car? i'd never heard of a plenum before i bought this R75, my last R75 (same model year) never had a problem at all

Last edited by GreyGhost; 3rd September 2009 at 19:01.. Reason: quote word altered
Old 3rd September 2009, 17:01   #10
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

it just becomes one of the periodic checks we all do, if it is only running out slow it is not completely clear. If we knew where you were one of us could possibly come round and help.

Last edited by stocktake; 3rd September 2009 at 17:09..