Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > How-to forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 21st July 2013, 06:07   #1
JeffD
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T SE

Default Remote Key Fob Blade Swap

Apologies if this has already been demonstrated but when searching for a how to on swapping the original blade to a replacement fob they seemed to suggest just getting the new blade cut by a locksmith etc which seemed to vary from £10-£20 :-(

Anyway, here's what I did and I hope its of help to others.

So here's the problem - I bought new fobs off eBay, transferred all the circuit board and the little transponder chip and tried to pull my old key blade out which came out but minus the little black surround which I assume is glued in.

Its shown at an angle here as I couldn't hold the bit and camera at the same time but found one of mini drill bits roughly the same diameter (tool abuse!!) and using it as a punch just tapped out the pins on both the old and new blades.

Using the new blades little plastic surround I then used a G-Clamp to press the pin back into the old blade/new little surround.

With the new tab on I then used a little dab of hard plastic glue on the end (not sides to prevent making a mess) then inserted the blade back into the new fob so there shouldn't be any danger of ever leaving your key in the lock!

Voila! Old blade in new fob and no key cutting to be done :-)

Live thread here

Disclaimer:
You are responsible for any work or modifications carried out on your car and you undertake any such work at your own risk.
The 75 and ZT Owners Club nor the original author of this How-To can be held liable for anything that may happen as a result
of you following this How-To.

Last edited by Simondi; 29th October 2017 at 19:03..
Closed Thread