Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th December 2020, 21:07   #1
john116
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default VIS motor fault question

Recently I noticed what sounds like loud tappet noise on my Rover 75 (2001) with KV6 engine.

TOAF reports a faulty balance VIS motor - could this also be the cause of the noise (which sounds like it's coming from the manifold)?

I have a new VIS motor, but currently not close by, so can't swap it out for a few days yet.

Thanks,
John
john116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 21:15   #2
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Hi John,
A faulty Balance Vis will not cause a tapping/rattling noise in the manifold I'm afraid.
A power vis that has failed in a mid position can cause a slight wear in the butterflies to be amplified,

There is also the operation of the purge valve to consider as this sounds like a slack tappet but is very intermittent and more prominent/active when cold, all quite normal.
D...

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 7th December 2020 at 21:17..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2020, 21:22   #3
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Purge valve is opposite side of manifold to balance Vis, on the top at an angle, two wire connection and when disconnected the noise stops straight away.

Edit:
When you do change your balance Vis make sure you check the balance flap behind it. It needs to be absolutely free in its entire operation of 90 degrees. If it is sticking at any point it needs cleaning in something like carb cleaner and even emery paper on the edge pf the flap.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
Old 8th December 2020, 01:04   #4
john116
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi - so tried the purge valve test - not that. I also don't think it's tappet noise, has a very 'rattley' type sound to it. Car has done 70,000km - so does that leave me with a not so healthy intake manifold chamber? I have no experience with these - is it a gradual thing, or does something break. The 'noise' from memory just happened suddenly one day a few weeks ago.
Old 8th December 2020, 06:21   #5
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Hi John,
To check the arm for wear you will need to remove the power Vis. Unplug the electrical connection and there are four cross head screws that hold the Power vis in place. Some people disconnect the servo pipe for better access but it isn't needed.

Once you remove the Vis motor look into the hole below. The brown arm should be fully over to the right hand side, if it isn't then the Vis motor has failed and that could be the cause of the amplified noise. Look at the underside of the Vis with the cut out to the top left, the peg should be at between three and 4 o'clock. any other position and its failed.

The brown arm with an elongated hole in it is connected to the 6 butterflies via the cup and cone joints that wear.

Hold the bar and move it side to side (left to right) and this is the action the bar goes through when in operation, it should be free but firm in its operation. Then check the bar for up and down and forward and backward movement, a perfect one will flex only, any loose feeling is wear.

When you refit the Vis motor make sure the peg is located in the hole in the bar and when inserting the screws they are a self tapping affair so turn them anticlockwise initially until you feel them "drop" this will mean they have found the original thread and wont try to make a new one which makes them really difficult to get back in.

Just for clarity left and right
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 8th December 2020, 07:57   #6
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for using left or right rather than the most confusing off / near side - by the time I've considered whether the poster is UK based or not (RHD / LHD) I usually don't bother reading anymore. Hint to others

Keep well
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2020, 08:24   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john116 View Post
... does that leave me with a not so healthy intake manifold chamber?
And thanks to John for using the correct term: the manifold chamber!

Anyway, do you hear this rattle all the time John or just for a few minutes after the engine is started from cold? Is it equally audible with the bonnet closed or open?

Simon
Old 8th December 2020, 08:45   #8
john116
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Simon,

Rattle is all the time. With bonnet closed, can hardly hear it. With bonnet open very noticeable.
Old 8th December 2020, 09:25   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john116 View Post
Simon,

Rattle is all the time. With bonnet closed, can hardly hear it. With bonnet open very noticeable.
Thanks John. That exactly matches what I heard recently on a friend's KV6 and we were in little doubt that it was the VIS power linkage. His is a high mileage engine though, having covered over five times the distance of yours which makes me wonder what the underlying cause is.

Simon
Old 9th December 2020, 04:33   #10
john116
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Simon, have removed the power VIS motor, and as per your advice above the motor peg is in about the 9 o'clock position. Also, TOAF confirms this motor has died (not the balance motor as I incorrectly stated before). However, the other thing is that the linkage is VERY loose and rattly. No wonder it's making so much noise. Guess I need a new manifold (but why it is faulty after only 70,000kms, I don't know?) Age? Anyone have a spare one?