Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th August 2013, 02:13   #1
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Default Stroke = inform DVLA?...

I was advised by the local Hospital Yesterday, that there is now a legal obligation for anyone suffering a stroke of any kind to inform the DVLA ASAP...

Apparently, the DVLA then send a form to my local MD to fill out. Presumably, based on the info contained in the returned form, the DVLA then decide what action they will take.................................

So I will be ringing them in the near future....................

Seems odd to me, bearing in mind it took my local MD over three months, via heart scan, brain scan, and various other tests, to discover I had had a stroke, and during that time I have covered nearly 3.000 miles.

Last edited by James.uk; 30th August 2013 at 02:21..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 04:35   #2
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Blimey! To the best of my knowledge I've never had a stroke and I did not know that it was possible to have one unbeknown to you. A neighbour had one this year, he is only in his 40s, but both he and his family certainly knew about it at the time. Paramedics and ambulance were on scene and he was hospitalised for a number of weeks.

Was the discovery in your case accidental, James, or were they looking for it? Also is any fee involved for the dvla paperwork either from your GP or dvla?
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 04:39   #3
Alan_G
Posted a thing or two

MG3

Sorry to hear about your stroke. The dvla has always been interested in medical conditions and medication. If you are prescribed long term medication, you are supposed to inform the dvla. I had to inform them years ago when I was taking medication which I no longer do. Didn't cost anything and took 5 mins by phone as I remember including when I informed them I no longer took it. Not sure if its still the same.
Alan_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 16:23   #4
James.uk
Passed Away

Hi Willy.
What happened was---
On the 3rd of May I drove down to Chideock in Dorset for a weeks holiday.
The following morning I went to the fridge and took out a carton of milk using my left hand, but for some reason I couldn’t lift it onto the table? So I used my right hand.

Never really paid much attention to my arm, I assumed I had slept on it, or hurt it in some way, but I wasn’t bovvered innit..
I continued touring West Dorset for the rest of the week and drove home on the Friday.

My arm wasn’t much better so I went to my local Dr surgery during the following week, they have a joint practice, so you never know who you will see coz most of them only stay for a few weeks.
Anyway, a Dr sent me for electrical conductivity tests on my arm. Basically, they stick needles with wires attached into your arm, then give you electric shocks to see if you jump, it’s great fun.
When I rang to get the results of those tests, they told me the muscles were OK but they thought I had damaged the nerves at the top of my spine.... (?)

So I made an appointment to see a GP, and at that meeting I met a rather elderly gentleman who examined my arm, and said he thought I had had a stroke! So I was sent for a brain scan at the local hosp. When I got there they did an ultrasound test on my neck to check that blood flow was OK, and discovered that I had a very erratic heart beat. They then checked my blood pressure and found it to be very low, so they did an ECG and then called a Dr.... He informed me that I had Atrial fibrillation, and would need to go on Warfarin..

Later that day, I finally had the Brain scan , and that confirmed that I had indeed had a stroke..... Please bear in mind that weeks passed between each of the above appointments...

And at this point in time, the Hosp are still trying to get my blood balanced between 2-0 and 3.0 via Warfarin.. And I had a Heart scan last Wednesday week, and saw a Dr at the Hosp last Wednesday to discuss the results, but when I saw him, he hadn’t received the info or pics from the prev Wednesday.. I have an appointment to see him again in about a month.....
I don't think any charge is involved re the DVLA. I have emailed them with the info, and await their reply with trepidation... dan da dan dan ... dahhhh

Last edited by James.uk; 30th August 2013 at 23:34..
Old 30th August 2013, 18:08   #5
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

This https://www.gov.uk/government/public...mic-attack-tia is from the DVLA website (and dated May 2013).
It seems quite clear that you DON'T need to inform them - unless you have any of the 'ongoing' symptoms specified.

I had a heart attack 8 years ago (full on, blues and twos to the hospital ) and was surprised to find that apart from being told not to drive for 4 weeks, I DIDN'T need to advise DVLA - again, unless there were ongoing problems, or my GP felt I was not safe to drive.

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 18:43   #6
Talago
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club SE Tourer 1969 Rover P6 3500 V8 1973 Rover P6 3500 V8

Goodness. Sorry to hear that James.

There are a number of medical conditions you have to declare to DVLA.

Be very careful filling in the form. My father-in-law's GP wouldn't fill it in and said my fateher-in-law had to do it. After it was sent off he got a letter from DVLA to surrender his licence immediately. If not received within 7 days he would be liable for a £1,000 fine. He posted it off next day.

Turned out he had ticked one box wrong and was actually quite fit to drive, as confirmed by his GP and his Consultant. There was quite a process to go through to get the licence back.
Talago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 20:21   #7
Scribbler.
Gets stuck in

Rover 75. Saloon. Red. V6. 2.5.

Maybe its catching huh Bob Relax I can still drive with A/Fib. and mechanical heart valves, (don't stand in front .. ) hehehe. My doc's very helpful he recommended favourably. However; I do not drive if I feel at all out-of-sorts. ( A kid may run our and I might miss him .) oooops was that out loud. Mike. Oh I nearly forgot .... Innit.
Scribbler. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 23:20   #8
James.uk
Passed Away

Quote from the link:-
>>>By law you must tell us if any of the following apply: one month after the stroke you are still suffering from weakness of the arms or legs.<<<

I deff come under that bit. innit..

The problem with the arm is, I can't move my hand toward it's shoulder very well, seems the bicep wont contract with much power, and I can't lift the elbow much above horizontal easily. Neither of which affect me driving in any way....

I can only quote what the Dr at the hospital told me, and he was quite insistent that I should inform them (DVLA). he said he will receive a form from them after I inform them, and he can then tell them there is no reason for me not to drive a vehicle...

Last edited by James.uk; 30th August 2013 at 23:31..
Old 31st August 2013, 00:05   #9
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Sorry to hear that James. Mrs sworks had electrical conductivity tests recently over in Newcastle.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2013, 00:17   #10
James.uk
Passed Away

She has my sympathy Sworks, the worst bit comes after they say, "this may feel a bit uncomfortable" and they turn the dial clockwise. ----------