Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th December 2011, 13:39   #1
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts
Default Do I sell her! or Do I keep her!

I need some advice fellas..... I'm considering selling my 75.

ok! I do not have too and I most probable will not, but its an option instead of it going to ruin sat on the drive. There is absolutely nothing wrong with her at all, she drives like a dream and looks so so stunning (faultless she is) tax and MOT'd till May next year.

So why I hear you cry.......

Well! we as a family have sort of out-grown her, she's a lovely big car but can be quite small inside (the space issue is the problem). I have just purchased us another MK2 Galaxy which does the job perfectly, so the wife is very happy.

The wife has also said I can keep the 75, so that is a good thing! but we do not need to run two cars and it will be cheaper for us to take the 75 off the road and save the money. So my options are.....

Opt 1: Sell the 75 and bank the money and be so upset and most probably will not forgive myself (but money is in the bank).

Opt 2: Keep the 75 and be happy that I have her and polish her day after day, but how long for it to deteriorate when she wont be in much use. I have the space for her and I will be able to give her a short run on a frequent basis so to keep the mechanical side of things running. But! I do not have a garage so I might have to build a car-port or something.

I am just not sure what to do, normally when I buy a another vehicle I do not give it two thoughts on selling the older one, but this time I just cant bring myself to sell my lovely 75 (especially when there is nothing wrong with her) but the money would look better in the savings account me thinks.

What would you do lads and lassie's ? I am absolutely stumped.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 13:46   #2
cabbers
Retired

62-reg Suzuki SX4 SZ5 1.6i AWD / 07-reg Audi S3 2.0 T FSI Quattro

KEEP IT.

lets be honest these cars dont fetch much money and if you have the room to keep it then keep it.

if your other car breaks down anytime then you will have your 75 on stand by.
cabbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 13:47   #3
capese21
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 Sports Auto.

If you like the thought of driving a people carrier for every journey then sell your 75. Otherwise keep it and use it for any journey where you can avoid the PC.

Good Luck!!

Ed.
capese21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 13:53   #4
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

I think option 2 is the one you really want to do..:xmas-smiley-004:
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2011, 13:56   #5
Dallas
This is my second home

I think you are right fellas, I'm just thinking out loud and wanting some input from a male's point of view (I live in a house of all woman see) even the dog is a girl.....

Like you said I wont get much as she's a early 75, plus I want to be the one that clocks her..... she's currently on 99926 miles so I can take her off the road just before she clocks....... her service is not until another 2295 miles so it would be very nice to keep her but I don't want her seizing up.
Old 11th December 2011, 14:01   #6
cabbers
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
I think you are right fellas, I'm just thinking out loud and wanting some input from a male's point of view (I live in a house of all woman see) even the dog is a girl.....

Like you said I wont get much as she's a early 75, plus I want to be the one that clocks her..... she's currently on 99926 miles so I can take her off the road just before she clocks....... her service is not until another 2295 miles so it would be very nice to keep her but I don't want her seizing up.

well split the use, for example when you are going somewere on your own use the 75 and use the mpv when you go out as a family, that way both cars will be used and neither one will seize up
Old 11th December 2011, 14:13   #7
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

If you do have the space , keep it as a future classic ( official qualification is 15 years old ) . Take it off road to save costs, buy a car cover for it , and once a month refit the battery , run the engine and drive it up an down the drive to circulate the gearbox oil and turn the tyres .
Once these cars start to appreciate as classics they will make more money than bank interest , but I bet within a year you are driving it again
Old 11th December 2011, 14:15   #8
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbers View Post
well split the use, for example when you are going somewere on your own use the 75 and use the mpv when you go out as a family, that way both cars will be used and neither one will seize up
Yes its an option,

I could keep her all legal and run two vehicles or take her off the road and save the costs, we don't need to run two cars so we would be saving a few quid.

I think I would be stupid selling her really, hand on heart she has been the best car I have ever owned and the most reliable and that is no lie. I have owned 30+ cars and the 75 has been the most reliable by far apart from my 1982 Ford LS Capri.

I suppose I could just bite the bullet and keep her on the road and pay the costs until a big repair bill does come in on her, then it will be a sad day.
Old 11th December 2011, 14:19   #9
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
If you do have the space , keep it as a future classic ( official qualification is 15 years old ) . Take it off road to save costs, buy a car cover for it , and once a month refit the battery , run the engine and drive it up an down the drive to circulate the gearbox oil and turn the tyres .
Once these cars start to appreciate as classics they will make more money than bank interest , but I bet within a year you are driving it again
Chris thats what I was thinking, you are quite right mate.

I have not driven her for 4 days now and I do miss the smooth drive and the comfort, I miss the large depth of the doors and the slim narrow windows and I miss the smooth acceleration and the SEXY noise of the V6 purr.

I just wish I had a garage..... but! as you say a car cover.......

So do you think a year ?
Old 11th December 2011, 14:22   #10
cabbers
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Yes its an option,

I could keep her all legal and run two vehicles or take her off the road and save the costs, we don't need to run two cars so we would be saving a few quid.

I think I would be stupid selling her really, hand on heart she has been the best car I have ever owned and the most reliable and that is no lie. I have owned 30+ cars and the 75 has been the most reliable by far apart from my 1982 Ford LS Capri.

I suppose I could just bite the bullet and keep her on the road and pay the costs until a big repair bill does come in on her, then it will be a sad day.

i will be honest with you mate i have 2 cars, my 75 and my qashqai and i always use my qashqai but every couple of days i jump in the 75 and nip upto my local shop in it.

plus its nice to know i always have a back up car if one breaks down, last month my qashqai broke down and i used the 75 for 3 days and then when i got my qashqai back i parked my 75 up.

its like someone as said these cars will be future classics, i think the true classic age of a car is 15 years so you only have 4 more years to wait till your 75 is a classic.

my 75 is 11 years old and is great condition with only 72k and many mods and its only worth £700 if i sell it, its like i said you may as well keep yours as you will lose a car you love and gain little money in return