Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th August 2019, 16:21   #1
hants34

Rover 75 Saloon

Default New but still very heavy clutch

Hi, I recently purchased a 2004 Contemporary CDTi from a member on this forum and have been over-joyed with the car, spec and mpg. It had a very heavy clutch when I purchased it and having read the forum posts took the advice that due to the mileage been around 127k a new clutch, slave and master cylinder would solve this issue. £250 spent on these parts from a reputable Rover/MG dealer and £500 to fit and the problem is almost exactly the same, excessively heavy. I also now have a rumble when depressing the clutch which my mechanic (whom I trust) advises that it is the pipework going through the bulkhead causing the noise and the heaviness is due to the pipe sizes.

Also the cruise control no longer works. I'm a petrol head (I appreciate it's a diesel :-)) and researched a lot before setting my mind on the car. As I said, I'm really pleased with it but this issue is totally ruining my enjoyment.

Any advice would be really appreciated, thanks!
hants34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2019, 16:33   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Cruise control is an easy one - there is a switch on top of the clutch pedal. Push the pedal down and then push the switch down and slowly release the pedal and that should reset it.

Have you compared the clutch action on your car with other 75s?
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2019, 17:15   #3
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Cruise control is an easy one - there is a switch on top of the clutch pedal. Push the pedal down and then push the switch down and slowly release the pedal and that should reset it.

Have you compared the clutch action on your car with other 75s?
That was probably due to the clutch change and just needs reseating as Mike suggested, seen that happen a few times, disagree about the clutch being heavy due to the pipe work, mine is quite light since the clutch change, and others I’ve done with my colleague Neil have also felt lighter after a change using Borg and beck clutch and Luk slaves.
I wonder if bleeding the system completely might help, even though I’d expect he bleed it fully once it was replaced to remove any old contaminates
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2019, 17:18   #4
davros
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Personally I found the clutch pretty heavy on my CDTi. My wife would complain about it all the time to the point that I am now looking for another 75 and considering auto only. My car was 2005 and had done around 60k miles.
davros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2019, 06:23   #5
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

What master and slave were employed? were they for example these items?

Where a metal slave cylinder and especially when used in conjunction with this master cylinder, the clutch action will be heavier than that of using the standard components.

In any event there should be no noise from a new clutch unless it's faulty or has been damaged during installation.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2019, 06:40   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I will be in the costwolds in a few days, if you would like a hand with the cruise control pm me today with your area and i'll see what I can do.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2019, 08:57   #7
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hants34 View Post
...It had a very heavy clutch ...a new clutch, slave and master cylinder would solve this issue. £250 spent on these parts ...and £500 to fit and the problem is almost exactly the same... excessively heavy. I also now have a rumble when depressing the clutch ...my mechanic (whom I trust) advises that it is the pipework going through the bulkhead causing the noise and the heaviness is due to the pipe sizes.

Perhaps OP ought to re-read their post? I've selectively quoted to make it easier. or perhaps a summary?
  1. Bad clutch
  2. £750 replace clutch, master and slave
  3. Still Bad clutch
  4. Trusts mechanic ???????
Who else thinks that there's something wrong with the above sequence?

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2019, 09:32   #8
hants34

Rover 75 Saloon

Thank you for all the constructive suggestions. The items fitted were as per add:
This is a brand new 4 Piece Clutch Kit.
Includes CIS Clutch plates
Both Slave & Master cylinder are all metal uprated MG Rover versions a superior product to the original design.

I will have another chat with my mechanic about bleeding the system again.

And hopefully the cruise control will be an easy fix(if such a thing exists!?!) I'll update on any successes!

Many thanks
Martin
hants34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2019, 07:30   #9
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hants34 View Post
Thank you for all the constructive suggestions. The items fitted were as per add:
This is a brand new 4 Piece Clutch Kit.
Includes CIS Clutch plates
Both Slave & Master cylinder are all metal uprated MG Rover versions a superior product to the original design.

I will have another chat with my mechanic about bleeding the system again.

And hopefully the cruise control will be an easy fix(if such a thing exists!?!) I'll update on any successes!

Many thanks
Martin

Hi Martin
Cis clutches are made near me in Kent, they are in no way superior to Luk or Borg and Beck, along with the metal cylinders, I’d stick with Luk ALLDAY LONG I’ve done a fair few and wouldn’t fit any metal master as they have had numerous issues.
Why anybody fitted a CIS clutch when they wasn’t OEM I don’t know, I think your mechanic doesn’t have a great knowledge base of the 75/ZT range or M47R engine.
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2019, 08:21   #10
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

So THESE were the fitted components then?

Quoting the seller's spiel

"Both Slave & Master cylinder are all metal uprated MG Rover versions a superior product to the original design"

I would have to disagree with this statement by the seller, these parts are not fit for purpose.

I have to say something now Martin, bleeding the clutch will make no difference whatsoever to the heaviness, it is purely down to the choice of materials employed.

You have a couple of choices, either put up with the clutch the way it currently is, i.e. noisy and heavy (noisy due to faulty thrust bearing), or replace the clutch with an LUK Repset Pro along with an LUK master cylinder.

The latter if fitted correctly will result in a light clutch which will last for at least 100000 miles if driven with mechanical sympathy.

I bought a car from a local member with one of these "uprated metal cylinder" clutches fitted, it was replaced in short order with a LUK kit.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote