Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th May 2016, 18:42   #1
FrazzleTC
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,178 Times in 920 Posts
Default Back in a 75 again

As of yesterday, I once again became a 75 owner, after a six month hiatus.
I sold my previous V6 which I'd owned for many years, as I was finding the issues with clutch master cylinders extremely irritating. As a result, I found myself buying a 2006 Subaru Legacy, which was terrific fun to drive, but wasn't as relaxing on long trips, and proved to be expensive to maintain.

As such, the search began in earnest for a 75. Initially, all I knew was that it had to be auto, I wouldn't mind a ZT, and a Tourer would be nice. After seeing loads of rubbish cars for sale, phoning about a few nice ones which had already sold, I spotted this one, which was also marked sold. However, the sale fell through and the seller contacted me. As I'm in my final year of uni, and have little time, whatever I was buying would be unseen, but the car sounded like it had had a lot of work done to it, and was relatively tidy.

So, what is it? Well, it's a 126,000 mile Connoisseur SE CDTi Tourer Automatic, with a 160 remap. White Gold was far from my first choice, but as I was more interested in buying a fundamentally decent car, the colour wasn't really of any relevance.

I got a £10 ticket down to Bolton, and set off yesterday. The seller was very affable, and collected me from a station, before I drove the car back to his house, paid for it, and took it away, with a few useful spares.

What's it like? When I collected the car, it'd been given a cheap hand car wash valet, and looked fairly tidy. Front bumper is a bit scruffy, and it's had some paintwork, but, having not been a coastal car, it's lovely and rot-free, which is what I wanted. It's had a massive amount of work done, including the diesel pumps, new ECU, remap, new exhaust, fairly recent discs and pads, strut top bearings, wishbones, and so on. The interior looked clean enough on first inspection, but was actually filthy, and there'd been a dog in it. The steering wheel was particularly offensive. Thankfully, it has the nice earlier carpet, so that saves me a job!

How's it drive? I've never actually run a diesel car before, so this is something of a step into the unknown. I am quite taken with the torque, the auto box changes as nicely as I've come to expect (fluid has been changed), and unlike 90% of 75s I've been in, it doesn't have any suspension knocks and bangs. I had a good drive up the M6, stopping to see various friends on the way home, and it was extremely relaxing, though not really that economical, as expected. It has spent a lot of time around town, doing few good runs, so I filled it with premium diesel, and will put some diesel injector cleaner in soon.

What's been done since it's been home? As mentioned, the interior was pretty grim, so during breaks in revision, I've been spending 15 minutes at a time, concentrating on cleaning a given area of the interior, and, now, I think it looks, and smells infinitely better. I've cleaned the boot, the headlining, the leather seats, put leather cream on the seats, done a lot of hoovering, and dumped some Mercedes front mats in it, for now. I couldn't deal with the horrifically dirty steering wheel, so it is now residing in the bin, and has been replaced with a walnut wheel which I fitted to my last 75. The leather is the wrong colour at the moment but I have already changed the back to a sandstone one.

What's happening next?
The car has two lovely new Pirellis on the front, but on the back has two different budget tyres, put on it to get an MOT last week, which are being replaced tomorrow with a pair of new Hankooks. I was going to get rid of the Meteors in favour of Serpents, but I actually really like the Meteors now that I've got it home.
Air-conditioning to be re-gassed this week.
The exterior is absolutely covered in tar, so the next big job is cleaning all of the tar off the lower half of the car, followed by a good polish, and wax.
I will be fitting projector headlights on Wednesday, as the current ones look a bit poor.
The rear plate isn't a smiley, but I'm not changing it until my plate is transferred onto it, which shouldn't be too long.
Good service is in order shortly, too, so I've ordered everything I need for that.
Looks like one shock absorber is possibly leaking, so I'll investigate that soon, too.
Lower engine mount feels a bit worn, so I'll get another one soon, too.
One rear light cluster is chipped, so I'll get a replacement.
I'm going to add a few bits like carpeted heater enclosure panels, rear mudflaps, torpedo badges, etc.
New rear Rover badge, and union flag on tailgate.

Most importantly, I'm going to drive it a lot, as I'm moving to Uttoxeter in July.

Overall, it's an ideal car for my needs. Not immaculate, but it's had a lot of work done which should save me a lot of hassle in years to come. It's comfortable, refined, and brisk enough that I'm happy. Delighted to have an auto again, and it's reminded me what a nice car a well sorted 75 is.

Here are some photos, after today's interior clean, and with my walnut wheel fitted.

2013 Mercedes SLK250 CDI

Last edited by FrazzleTC; 15th May 2016 at 20:21..
FrazzleTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016, 19:06   #2
humphshumphs
I really should get out more.......

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.

Looking good

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
humphshumphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016, 19:11   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

A nice example there buddy
Old 15th May 2016, 19:12   #4
spider13
Avid contributor

rover 75 1.8t x2 mgf 1.8

looking very nice I like this colour really suits the 75
spider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016, 19:28   #5
FrazzleTC
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks everyone! I'm really pleased with it!

Forgot to mention that a massive rust-proofing session is on the cards for later in the month!
2013 Mercedes SLK250 CDI
Old 15th May 2016, 19:38   #6
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Looks cracking Fraser.
Should be good for years as you say.
Enjoy and good luck
Old 15th May 2016, 19:39   #7
Tam
Posted a thing or two

05 ZT+, 04 ZT+, 64 P6 2.0, 74 P6 V8s, 75 P6 V8, 92 214Si, 04 25 Td, 02 Defend , 05 ZR 105+ x2

Looks a cracker! Needs some chrome luggage hooks in the back
Old 15th May 2016, 19:49   #8
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Look forward to seeing it at Gretna .

Welcome to Diesel land Fraz.
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016, 20:17   #9
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Looks far better than your description of it Frazer, well done on the cleaning and polishing. Just one thing - I hope you didn't really fill your first diesel with premium unleaded!!

Hope I'll be seeing you over this direction soon buddy.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016, 20:20   #10
FrazzleTC
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
Looks far better than your description of it Frazer, well done on the cleaning and polishing. Just one thing - I hope you didn't really fill your first diesel with premium unleaded!!

Hope I'll be seeing you over this direction soon buddy.
Meant to say Premium diesel, Andy! You've no idea how paranoid I am about mis-fuelling it!
2013 Mercedes SLK250 CDI