Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th August 2013, 19:36   #21
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Ok, I stuffed the injector area with kitchen roll yesterday, and had a look today.

It seems to be centralised around the injector closest to the battery - that was the only one that appeared to have fuel on it.

I also found a tiny rubber "thing" swimming in the lake around my injectors. I've no idea what it is, but it was squishy like an O-Ring. Not sure whats it's from, as Rimmers pictures show no thick O-Rings in the injectors. Thinking it might be part of the grommet from the engine cover?

Some pictures:

My current thinking is it's coming from the injectors, and that the next best thing to try is to remove them all and have a look at the washers etc. Does this sound reasonable?
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 19:46   #22
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
Ok, I stuffed the injector area with kitchen roll yesterday, and had a look today........My current thinking is it's coming from the injectors, and that the next best thing to try is to remove them all and have a look at the washers etc. Does this sound reasonable?

Nope! As I said in Post #2, dry the area then wrap everything in tissue paper and watch it run at idle and you will see where the leak is coming from. If you don't then get someone to rev it whilst you are watching.

No need to remove the injectors until you have identified the leak. If it is coming up from the base of the injector it will still show on the tissue paper.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 22:07   #23
johnny t
Loves to post

MG ZT 135+/ MG ZT 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Nope! As I said in Post #2, dry the area then wrap everything in tissue paper and watch it run at idle and you will see where the leak is coming from. If you don't then get someone to rev it whilst you are watching.

No need to remove the injectors until you have identified the leak. If it is coming up from the base of the injector it will still show on the tissue paper.
Good advice.
Old 20th August 2013, 21:42   #24
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

I put some more kitchen roll in there last night, went for a drive, and again the one around the injector nearest the battery was wet.

I let it idle for about 5 minutes, and got someone to rev it up to 3k RPM for a bit, but couldn't see anything coming out
Old 20th August 2013, 22:07   #25
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

To add - when the engine was being revved, I could also hear a faint "whistling" from the engine which was a bit weird.

Also, despite having packed the area around the injectors with kitchen roll, I still got fuel sitting on the front left of the inlet manifold, with the engine cover in place... not sure how that could get there?
Old 21st August 2013, 05:30   #26
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

When I checked mine after 10 minutes idling I removed and inspected the tissue paper and there was a drip sized diesel patch on the bit around the pipe union. That was the leak.

With the amount of diesel you have n the photos you should find a damp patch on the tissue somewhere after running the engine for 5 or 10 minutes.

With everything dried off again wedge some tissue paper around the injector wells and after a few minutes running there should be something giving a clue as to where it s coming fom.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 21st August 2013 at 05:41..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 16:32   #27
Bigcul1
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Con SE

Did this every get resolved, I have what looks like the same issue.
Bigcul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 19:14   #28
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcul1 View Post
Did this every get resolved, I have what looks like the same issue.
I removed the injectors and refitted them with new seals (for clarity, I replaced the seals at the bottom of the injectors - they are actually copper washers!)

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...94#post1523394

This seemed to fix the leak around the base of the injectors. I'm still getting a little bit appearing on top of the inlet manifold though...
Old 12th April 2014, 19:55   #29
Bigcul1
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Con SE

Thanks for the reply:

2 further questions:

Where did you get the copper washers from?

How do the injectors come out?

Ta mate
Bigcul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 20:40   #30
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Where did you get the copper washers from?
Rimmers. Beware, these 4 bits of copper cost me £15!

It's worth mentioning that the leakoff pipe along the top of the injectors is also something I've seen reported leaking - I replaced mine (was about £30 from a Land Rover dealer) but it didn't make any difference.
Quote:
How do the injectors come out?
Remove the inlet manifold - http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=102098

You'll end up here:

Remove the wires:

Remove the 3 torx screws (7mm socket works for me I think - they aren't very tight) that hold the injector wires in place

Unplug all 4 injectors (push top tab and pull, might be a bit stiff)

Lift off the "tray" the wires all sit in

Now, remove the leakoff pipe:

Top of the injectors have a little metal collet thing. It pulls off - correction, it pings off! Be careful, don't loose them!

Now you can carefully lever the leakback pipe off the top of the injectors. The plastic t-pieces are supposed to be fragile so be careful (i've never had a problem but if you break them your stuffed!). They have O-Rings at the joint so it would pay to check them to see if thats your leak (and the condition of the leakoff pipe in general).

Remove the fuel pipes:

Using a spanner (17mm?) remove the unions joining the hard fuel pumps to the injectors, and remove the unions joining the pipes the high pressure rail (the sensor at the end of this pipe is another known leak point...).

I believe these are handed and the orientation is important so be careful when putting it back - I would suggest cleaning the unions before re-installing.

When I re-installed the pipes I didn't do them up tight enough and got a new leak from there as well so be careful...

Now remove the injector clamps:

At the base of the injector there are two studs with nuts - remove the two nuts (8mm?). The clamp (bit of metal) should be lose and you should be able to remove them.

The injectors are now free - but you certainly wouldn't know it! I found it easiest to GENTLY turn the injector from side to side by levering the plastic plug bit with a spanner - this isn't a good idea (it's plastic!) but in my case it only took gentle effort so it was ok. Injectors can be very very VERY stubborn to remove so don't try too hard.

Having levered from side to side a few times, they were loose enough to pull upwards and remove - but I suspect the leak had lubed them up a bit to help!

Seals:

The seals pull off with a little persuasion. You can then push them over the top and tap a large, deep socket over the top to push them down. I would suggest generally cleaning the exterior of the injector and the bore before re-installing everything.

It's worth mentioning if your going this far you'll want to consider cleaning your inlet manifold and replacing the PCV if you haven't already - you've got very good access for both half way through the job.

Hope this helps