Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th September 2019, 18:58   #1
elefsis
Avid contributor
 
elefsis's Avatar
 
Rover 75 CDTi Club SE Saloon

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Reading
Posts: 151
Thanks: 138
Thanked 62 Times in 42 Posts
Default recommendations needed

I am still having problems with my wipers not working as well as the electric windows. They have been playing around with me by working for a few days on the odd occasion. Now, not working again. I am looking for an auto electrician capable of tracing the root cause of this. Any suggestions are welcome.


I did drive up to Yorkshire last week and had Big Russ take a look but at the time everything was working so he cleaned everything around the fuse box and checked everything on the T4, all fine.


The car is perfect in every other respect.
__________________
The train of failure runs on the tracks of laziness.
elefsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2019, 19:18   #2
dinky d
Avid contributor
 
Rover 75 cdti conn F/lift

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: liverpool
Posts: 216
Thanks: 40
Thanked 35 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elefsis View Post
I am still having problems with my wipers not working as well as the electric windows. They have been playing around with me by working for a few days on the odd occasion. Now, not working again. I am looking for an auto electrician capable of tracing the root cause of this. Any suggestions are welcome.


I did drive up to Yorkshire last week and had Big Russ take a look but at the time everything was working so he cleaned everything around the fuse box and checked everything on the T4, all fine.


The car is perfect in every other respect.
I had the opposite problem,wipers,alarm coming on by themselves,I found i had water leaking into the boot and soaking all and every thing,I had the old type of satnav/tv,so all the wiring was still there,cured the leak and touch wood cured the problem.
dinky d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2019, 14:03   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home
 
R75 Saloon.

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: France/or Devon.
Posts: 10,020
Thanks: 2,300
Thanked 1,045 Times in 914 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elefsis View Post
I am still having problems with my wipers not working as well as the electric windows. They have been playing around with me by working for a few days on the odd occasion. Now, not working again. I am looking for an auto electrician capable of tracing the root cause of this. Any suggestions are welcome.


I did drive up to Yorkshire last week and had Big Russ take a look but at the time everything was working so he cleaned everything around the fuse box and checked everything on the T4, all fine.


The car is perfect in every other respect.
I assume it's ALL the electric windows at the same time.

There are several fuses involved.

1/ Fuse 3 under the bonnet.

2/ fuse numbers 1,5 and 8 in the cabin fuse box. Possibly fuse4 as well.

A problem or poor contact on any of these fuse can give you the intermittent operations that you have.

Worth un-plugging and plugging in again these fuses.

Maybe even changing them to be sure.---
__________________
COLVERT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2019, 15:00   #4
elefsis
Avid contributor
 
elefsis's Avatar
 
Rover 75 CDTi Club SE Saloon

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Reading
Posts: 151
Thanks: 138
Thanked 62 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
I assume it's ALL the electric windows at the same time.

There are several fuses involved.

1/ Fuse 3 under the bonnet.

2/ fuse numbers 1,5 and 8 in the cabin fuse box. Possibly fuse4 as well.

A problem or poor contact on any of these fuse can give you the intermittent operations that you have.

Worth un-plugging and plugging in again these fuses.

Maybe even changing them to be sure.---

The wipers are the most important, the windows I never open anyway., I have no chance at getting in to passenger foot-well to fuse box, my body is totally incapable of doing that.
__________________
The train of failure runs on the tracks of laziness.
elefsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2019, 18:26   #5
BigRuss
Premium Trader
 
BigRuss's Avatar
 
75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Liversedge, West Yorkshire
Posts: 4,886
Thanks: 490
Thanked 863 Times in 427 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
I assume it's ALL the electric windows at the same time.

There are several fuses involved.

1/ Fuse 3 under the bonnet.

2/ fuse numbers 1,5 and 8 in the cabin fuse box. Possibly fuse4 as well.

A problem or poor contact on any of these fuse can give you the intermittent operations that you have.

Worth un-plugging and plugging in again these fuses.

Maybe even changing them to be sure.---
We did all that and looked at the wiring under the underbonnet fusebox too.

The fault wasn't present when John came up to see me
It's very difficult to find what's causing a problem when it's not there, you can try your best to investigate it by disturbing things to try and initiate the fault but we didn't have any luck doing that either.

I've talked to John since the fault has re-occurred, the car had been stood and it had rained.
I can only conclude that the car is leaking somewhere probably around the windscreen area is dripping onto a connector somewhere, which then dries out and the fault disappears again.

Russ
__________________


Replacement Key Service
BigRuss's Replacement Key Prices

Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigRuss For This Useful Post:
Old 11th September 2019, 14:45   #6
elefsis
Avid contributor
 
elefsis's Avatar
 
Rover 75 CDTi Club SE Saloon

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Reading
Posts: 151
Thanks: 138
Thanked 62 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
We did all that and looked at the wiring under the underbonnet fusebox too.

The fault wasn't present when John came up to see me
It's very difficult to find what's causing a problem when it's not there, you can try your best to investigate it by disturbing things to try and initiate the fault but we didn't have any luck doing that either.

I've talked to John since the fault has re-occurred, the car had been stood and it had rained.
I can only conclude that the car is leaking somewhere probably around the windscreen area is dripping onto a connector somewhere, which then dries out and the fault disappears again.

Russ
Hi Russ, I cannot thank you enough for the effort you put into solving a problem when the problem was not manifesting itself. If this problem is an MOT requirement then it will not pass and to scrap this wonderful car for that seems pretty ludicrous. Can the wipers be wired up independently by other means.
__________________
The train of failure runs on the tracks of laziness.
elefsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2019, 20:03   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home
 
R75 Saloon.

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: France/or Devon.
Posts: 10,020
Thanks: 2,300
Thanked 1,045 Times in 914 Posts
Default

Intermittant faults are always a headache to find.

Maybe spraying all the connectors he can find with WD 40 might drive the moisture out and keep it out.


Personally I always spray all the connectors I can find on my car just in case.----
__________________
COLVERT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2019, 18:24   #8
elefsis
Avid contributor
 
elefsis's Avatar
 
Rover 75 CDTi Club SE Saloon

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Reading
Posts: 151
Thanks: 138
Thanked 62 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Problem is now fixed I traced it to a faulty earth connection in the passenger foot-well fuse box. Both wipers and windows now working again. With all the new additions like DD and reversing camneras and DVR being fitted and fuses becoming piggy backed it was a bit of a mess down there.
__________________
The train of failure runs on the tracks of laziness.
elefsis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elefsis For This Useful Post:
Old 16th September 2019, 20:11   #9
stocktake
Vis Whiz
 
stocktake's Avatar
 
Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: LEEDS
Posts: 18,921
Thanks: 888
Thanked 1,610 Times in 965 Posts
Default

Always worth a thank you when somebody takes the time to return to a thread with a solution

THANKYOU.
__________________
Dave...



Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stocktake For This Useful Post:
Old 16th September 2019, 20:43   #10
macafee2
This is my second home
 
Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southampton
Posts: 8,445
Thanks: 820
Thanked 1,555 Times in 1,086 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elefsis View Post
Problem is now fixed I traced it to a faulty earth connection in the passenger foot-well fuse box. Both wipers and windows now working again. With all the new additions like DD and reversing camneras and DVR being fitted and fuses becoming piggy backed it was a bit of a mess down there.
well done, faulty earth how, many people have been down the garden path with one of those?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to macafee2 For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2019, The Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club Ltd