Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th March 2017, 19:04   #21
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
' An acceleration figure less than zero is correctly termed deceleration ?How can that be? If the figure is zero, you are not moving. Therefor there is no movement?For decelerate to take place you have to be moving? If you throw an object up in the air, it accelerates from the motion you have given it. When it reaches the top of its travel, slowly decelerating,, it stops. It then accelerates back towards the area from where it came. It does not deccelerate ?
The acceleration from the standstill has a direction. And yes in order to be decelerating you do need to be moving to start with in a specific direction, moving in the opposite direction is not decelartion. But apparrently I am "wrong" So I'll just throw physics and newtons laws of motion out the window and see them fall up to the sky....

P.S Just realised that you think that zero acceleration means not moving. It doesn't. Zero accleration means that you are maintaining a steady velocity (direction and speed) (which may or may not be a speed of 0). However you have to be doing some velocity to actually decelerate. starting from 0 and going in a direction would be to accelerate in that direction. Throw a ball up (let's say while standing on the Earth) it accelerates initially, then decelerates to a stop, and then accelerates back the other way, all due to the weakest of natural forces - gravity.

PPS - my first PS might have also misunderstood you. as reading your paragraph again you do seem to grasp the concept of decelerating to a stop and then acccelerating in the opposite direction. sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerbox View Post
Avulon, you are wrong.
Counter evidence? - or should I just say that you are a blue martian subversive? I've got letters after my name as well..... so what? I've got enough friends with arts degrees..........

No, I've decided that you must be the Mekon and I am Dan Dare... Now Where did I park Anastasia? I need to go and sort out that horde of zombie vampire robot ninjas about to invade the Earth......
Save
Save
Save

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button

Last edited by Avulon; 10th March 2017 at 19:21..
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 19:16   #22
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerbox View Post
Acceleration, which is a function of speed with time, to be accurate.

And for any pedants out there, yes, you have acceleration in negative figures.
Oh, that contribution. Look the 'rocket scientists' out there might find it useful to speak in terms of negative acceleration, but that doesn't make it 'correct' in the English language.

Also very inefficient, so much easier to say or write deceleration than negative acceleration - just look at the syllable and letter count.
Save
Save

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:

Last edited by Avulon; 10th March 2017 at 19:18..
Old 10th March 2017, 19:22   #23
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

C'mon someone - say you've snorted out your coffee or misdunked a hobnob already.

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

To do:
Old 10th March 2017, 20:10   #24
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

I'm trying to cut down on caffeine and not keen on hobnobs, but if airbags deploy at around 1000mph (rather than 200), I guess they've gone the way of broadband - superfast !!
Old 10th March 2017, 20:46   #25
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
I'm trying to cut down on caffeine and not keen on hobnobs, but if airbags deploy at around 1000mph (rather than 200), I guess they've gone the way of broadband - superfast !!
Mmm, HobNobs, I'm away to fill the kettle

Have a look at the rather boring description of the SRS operation in the attached PDF while I make a steaming mug of coffee

Brian
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SRS Description and operation.pdf (55.6 KB, 7 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 20:54   #26
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
What I actually said was they deploy when the decleration is in the region of 1000mph/s - that means a deceleration equivalent to 1000-0 mph in a second Hitting a stationery 38 ton truck at any decent speed (i.e. above 20mph) is likely to make your car's front end do that. (assuming you don't just slip under the truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Mmm, HobNobs, I'm away to fill the kettle

Have a look at the rather boring description of the SRS operation in the attached PDF while I make a steaming mug of coffee

Brian
Thanks Brian , I'll save it for Monday when I'm at work . Anyhow it's now 10 to scotch'o'clock must off and unlock the spirits..... Coffee's what you drink after your really???-mary (spiced vodka and tomato juice) in the morning isn't it (before work?)?

Save
Save

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

To do:
Old 10th March 2017, 21:22   #27
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Ok, I poured a scotch then read it. - I don't see 'negative acceleration' mentioned once, I wonder why?

However on a brighter note I did spot '... preset deceleration limit...' Unfortunately that preset limit isn't quantified.

Right'o, my missus is back tomorrow and I've still got a season and a half of Battlestar Galactica left to watch before I have to relinquish control of the tv.... It's gonna be a long night.
Save

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

To do:
Old 11th March 2017, 07:21   #28
2.2-600-vtec
Loves to post

mg ztt

OK is it not that the airbag sensor is bassicly always measuring g force. So when we are moving or not g force is present unless at a set speed with no other factors or stationary. You hit some thing or something hits you the this causes a shift in weight of the g sensor this as you say is the acceleration (of the sensor only to make life easier as it's regardless of vehicle speed) that rate of acceleration of the sensor created by impact creates a g force and thus if it's at the right amount the unit pulses the airbag directly in front off the impact and job done.
Speed of the car is not a factor it's Purely the rate of direction change of the srs sensor.
Hence going of when hit stationary.
I don't know if the op was intreasted in the rest or not but that's as simple I guess as I can do and no doubt the most technical I can do

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
2.2-600-vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2017, 09:13   #29
rockerbox
Avid contributor

MG ZT/T

A simple physics lesson for the ones among us who have addled their brains with alcohol and 70's bad science fiction:

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/mmedia/kinema/pvna.cfm

This should explain the concept, and indeed the very existance, of negative acceleration.
rockerbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2017, 09:18   #30
Christopher Price
Banned

None at the moment.

It's always been my belief that the car has to experience a force in excess of 3G in order to set off an air bag.
Christopher Price is offline   Reply With Quote