Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd March 2018, 07:51   #1
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts
Default Snow and Ice Chaos - Somebody Else's Fault!

Whilst I am here in West London, sat at the computer with a cup of tea in my hand, I can see out of the window, more road than snow and ice, we're lucky.

There are thousands stuck out there, and thousands possibly dependent on some of those who are stuck, horrible.

A train, apparently stuck/broken-down outside Christchurch in Dorset, having set off from Waterloo at 1745 yesterday, that's crackers.

There are already comments about who is not/was not doing their job properly, and how people should have been warned (I think we were). I really feel that there will be a Government inquiry into this, and yes, we don't suffer like this often, and other countries endure it, as a way of life.

I'm just going to put the kettle on again.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 08:28   #2
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Whilst I am here in West London, sat at the computer with a cup of tea in my hand, I can see out of the window, more road than snow and ice, we're lucky.

There are thousands stuck out there, and thousands possibly dependent on some of those who are stuck, horrible.

A train, apparently stuck/broken-down outside Christchurch in Dorset, having set off from Waterloo at 1745 yesterday, that's crackers.

There are already comments about who is not/was not doing their job properly, and how people should have been warned (I think we were). I really feel that there will be a Government inquiry into this, and yes, we don't suffer like this often, and other countries endure it, as a way of life.

I'm just going to put the kettle on again.
The A31 Cadnam to Ringwood Road has been blocked all night - not sure if it is now moving or not.

Met a nice chap and his wife in a Motorhome stuck on a sheet of ice that was the road into our main car park. They were from Guildford and tried to get to Sandy Balls yesterday. Given the situation on the A31 they did well to get this far.

They could not get up the hill to Sandy Balls so parked up in town then this morning tried to move to the main car park but the ice and snow on the very gentle gradient defeated them.

I suggested they just hunkered down for the day and sit it out - but he said he was going to try to drive back to Guildford- he was most surprised to hear that the A31 was closed. He seemed genuinely ignorant of the harsh conditions

Personally I would never have set out in such an ungainly vehicle as a motorhome given the Red weather warning yesterday for this area.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 08:32   #3
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
I suggested they just hunkered down for the day and sit it out - but he said he was going to try to drive back to Guildford- he was most surprised to hear that the A31 was closed. He seemed genuinely ignorant of the harsh conditions

Personally I would never have set out in such an ungainly vehicle as a motorhome given the Red weather warning yesterday for this area.
Sums it up really.
Old 2nd March 2018, 08:46   #4
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Well it has claimed quite a few lives, sadly a homeless guy in Retford froze to death in a tent..elderly woman in Leeds frozen to death on the street, a young girl hit by a car and several on the roads..
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 09:09   #5
Snetty
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

We don't get this severe weather often enough to warrant the investment required to ensure no disruption.
Equally warnings should be taken seriously however you cannot tell some folk, including my Dad who at 84 with his 88 year old wife decided yesterday to take the faithfull Nissan Micra auto the 6 miles to Sandringham so they could have a walk😡. It beggars belief and thankfully they got home safe and no I did not ask who built the best snowman.
Snetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 09:17   #6
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Take a look at this clip of the skidding bus in Edinburgh LINK
You may have seen it on BBC news, IMO the bus is going way too fast.
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 09:56   #7
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
cut

I honestly do not think the present conditions are "harsh". The "chilled breeze" could be a concern if outside and appropriate clothing is not worn.
I cannot give a verdict on the whole country but pictures do not give an indication of "tough" conditions or "heavy" snowfall. The issue is it only needs for 1" of snow to fall, which is then compacted to cause loss of grip. Thousands of tyres "shining" that compaction or lower temps freezing the surface is what causes the disruption. Once you have to give way at a r/b or stop at traffic lights then there is a good chance of losing traction again. The advice of keeping to a slowish, steady speed goes out of the window then.,

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 10:01   #8
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
Well it has claimed quite a few lives, sadly a homeless guy in Retford froze to death in a tent..elderly woman in Leeds frozen to death on the street, a young girl hit by a car and several on the roads..
With RTA deaths..... is the conditions to blame or the driver?

In my paper to-day there is a report of a female child of 10 killed whilst playing in the snow in her garden. The vehicle went through a wall in order to strike her. Considering one can read about deaths in good conditions then I reckon it's the driver to blame.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 10:06   #9
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

A94 just near Balbeggie, Perthshire yesterday afternoon. Busy day on our roads.

M90, Edinburgh bound late evening and between snow showers. Should be two lanes and a hard shoulder here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 10:11   #10
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coups View Post

A94 just near Balbeggie, Perthshire yesterday afternoon. Busy day on our roads.
Some people have to take off-roading to the extreme!