Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th February 2019, 19:53   #31
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
Yeah that's fine, but are you not 'living in fear' of something nasty happening, to the point where you have to be constantly monitoring it? I want a car where I can just get in and go, and being reasonably certain it will get me where I'm going without an issue.
I went to look at a 2.5 V6 many years ago. It had been owned by a "get in and drive it" man who never looked under the bonnet. He had never had it serviced since new, 94000 miles on the clock and eight years old. I asked if it used coolant and he said "Have a look!" The cap was on super tight and despite unscrewing, wouldn't budge. He prised it off with a crow bar, breaking the cap in the process and the coolant level was ..........

..... spot on! It only had work done at MOT time if absolutely necessary. I had to walk away, after giving him my spare header tank cap but it reinforced my view of the V6. Very strong!
Old 10th February 2019, 19:54   #32
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
I went to look at a 2.5 V6 many years ago. It had been owned by a "get in and drive it" man who never looked under the bonnet. He had never had it serviced since new, 94000 miles on the clock and eight years old. I asked if it used coolant and he said "Have a look!" The cap was on super tight and despite unscrewing, wouldn't budge. He prised it off with a crow bar, breaking the cap in the process and the coolant level was ..........

..... spot on! It only had work done at MOT time if absolutely necessary. I had to walk away, after giving him my spare header tank cap but it reinforced my view of the V6. Very strong!

Perhaps he mistakenly thought it was a diesel!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2019, 20:23   #33
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Just like me, which is probably why I like it! None of those quart in a pint pot turbos, no stinky diesels, just press the pedal and it goes.... and goes.... and ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
I think MarinaBrian has summed it up quite nicely. Each engine is "the best" in it's own unique way and it really depends on your needs and expectations as to which you should choose. I have a 2.0 V6, which I love, ……….
…………. as I am more than happy to "potter about" in my gentlemans club on wheels, I would re-arrange his words as: "The best I would say is the 2.0V6 which, though slow and thirsty, is refined."

The thing is, we are both right from our own perspective. The V6 will go a bit with enough revs, but this in turn will make it even more thirsty. It's lovely and smooth though, and it surely has to be the nicest looking engine in the range (barring perhaps the V8). Cliff
And another vote for the v6 from me . Smooth and refined pleasure !
Old 10th February 2019, 21:15   #34
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

My KV6 2 litre auto is a lovely car to drive, engine sound when VIS motors kick in is great, sport mode makes it fly, can't fault it apart from petrol consumption.
My manual 1.8 is also fantastic to drive and fuel consumption is brilliant. But which do I prefer? For fun and driving experience has to be the KV6. However my wife refers to them as posh, the V6 connie with leather heated seats, and comfortable, the 1.8 club SE with cloth upholstery. She prefers the 1.8. We both agree to differ, and after 40 years of marriage I have learned not to argue with her!
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2019, 22:05   #35
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldie View Post
Which of the 1.8s can be tuned and by whom?
ZT 1.8 turbo standard at 160bhp can be taken up to 200bhp by Kmaps.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2019, 23:09   #36
Eddy600
Loves to post

Rover, MG

I own a 75 diesel tourer with a 160 remap and a trohpy yellow zt 1.8t with a 200 bhp remap, both fantastic in their own rights, the 75 for chauffeuring the kids and dog an doing long journeys, and the zt for when it's just me and I can put my foot down get the turbo spooling and hear that induction roar I had 250 miles to the last tank full

Also owned a zt 190 which didn't cut it for me unfortunately but each to there own.
Eddy600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2019, 23:13   #37
saxo1980
Gets stuck in

BMW 118i m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
And another vote for the v6 from me . Smooth and refined pleasure !
And as flat as an wet NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- the one on my drive with 48000
Miles on clock con se V6 smooth yes silent yes but pooop.
It's stands as an back up car Vis motors make it sound nice and that is about it .
If someone is daft enough you can buy it lol in very good condition with full mot lol
V6 con se to me is poopy lol ��

V6 con se then jump in to my cdti zt and my god it's very different car like I say the one on drive is an back up car and it always be an back up car lol

So if someone is stupid enough to buy an very nice good condition V6 been looked after then the one hear lol or it be kept as the back up car as it only good as an back up car in my eyes

Last edited by saxo1980; 10th February 2019 at 23:40..
saxo1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2019, 23:35   #38
saxo1980
Gets stuck in

BMW 118i m sport

I like them wheels on the zt give me them lol
saxo1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2019, 00:26   #39
neilll
Gets stuck in

MG ZT,MG ZT-T

My opinion for what it is worth!
V6 (190 and 180 for me) all the way I have both and found them to be superb. The 190 has bust two thermostat housings, the first time still got me home from Swansea to Merseyside without any problems (dont mention names but the housing split on both occasions ) until I changed to Kaisers alloy one, oh and one filter problem that was solved easily due to this site.It was also fitted with lpg just after buying it at 30,000 miles (maybe 10 years ago now) and now on over 100,000!
The 180 is now on 140,000 and has been faultless in my ownership (Jules changed belts and fitted another Kaiser housing on this one when I purchased it!).
I dont know how long these engines will last but both are running well, I intend to get an engine to refurbish in the near future and to convert the auto to lpg as well.
I agree they are not the fastest cars on the street (there is always going to be someone faster but its not all about speed) but if you rev them they will pick up their skirts and go (even the auto in sport mode),
Before buying my first one I tried a 120 which I thought was so under powered and I have also driven a diesel (not sure on the power) which just was not up to the job, admittedly only one of each but that was enough for me.
Only my opinions of course and each to there own.
Neil
neilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2019, 06:37   #40
timon
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Perhaps he mistakenly thought it was a diesel!

Yes, because turbo diesel engines like no oil changes .
timon is offline   Reply With Quote