Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 1st August 2020, 15:29   #251
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

The special and focussed attention now being imposed on Yorkshire/Lancashire is leading to a different slant in the assumption that UK wide figures are accurately representative of the spread of infection.

It has been said, extremely carefully, that localised infection contributes a disproportionate element to the overall figure and understandably that may be the reason for widespread cynicism.

Nazir Afzal, former chief Crown Prosecutor and in my view a very brave man, points to particular zones of differing cultures having a greater percentile of infections than others.

He says, from official figures and comparing the overall national average of 7.2 cases per 100,000 of people, the rate in Blackburn is 85.3 cases for every 100,000. In Oldham it is 53.1 and in Bradford it is 44.9. Leicester – one of the most diverse cities in the UK – has an infection rate of 57.7 per 100,000.

That is a massive revelation with incalculable implications. Whatever one’s personal view of the relevance that such extreme differences might be, coming from that source, it is equivalent to sounding the fire alarm. I hope a balanced and meticulously managed strategy is planned.
Old 1st August 2020, 17:27   #252
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
The special and focussed attention now being imposed on [Some Districts of West] Yorkshire/Lancashire is leading ...
FTFY.

On another note it's not surprising that areas of dense population where people are naturally closer together have higher rates of infection regardless of their cultural make up. Or the affluence or lack thereof of the area.
For example, the areas referred to in Yorkshire are the densest populated areas of West Yorkshire. (e.g. Bradford). Whereas the less densley populated North Yorkshire has less than half as many cases according to official figures.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Old 1st August 2020, 17:43   #253
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Would appear the Germans are revolting:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-eur...al.link1_.auin

Thought that was something attributable to the French?
Old 1st August 2020, 20:59   #254
ADO282
Banned

ROVER 75 Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
I Can only add that whatever a person chooses for themselves shouldn't be something directly affects another. I.e you may think it's tosh to wear a mask in a shop. So what? Theres plenty that feel reassured when people do, and nervous when they don't. So wear the mask when in the shop. Sounds like you, like me, are tired and bored, and disappointed by the way random groupings of people are being called 'covidiots' and such like. By a fervent vocal group who don't seem to have much if anything of a positive nature to contribute.

We don't have a choice, mask wearing is mandated, however it does make me chuckle when you see them worn upside down, inside out, on the chin, nose poking out, but more worryingly the constant fiddling by people unused to wearing such apparel.

It is this type of thing that increases risk to the wearer, along with the false sense of security wearing a mask brings, just think of all of the cross contamination of items handled during a typical supermarket browsing session, when making adjustments to such a covering, as that very act is much more likely to result in any virus being transferred to the face.

The letter of the law is a face covering, a scarf or bandana will suffice, or in my case, the neck tube which arrived in the post today, replete with skull lower jaw motif, something I may have worn when riding my Velocette Venom along with a Geoff Duke lid along with a pair of Stadium Mk8 goggles

I wouldn't think twice about heading to the supermarket with such a face covering !!

If the current situation is analysed in the coming months, bearing in mind supermarket workers are not mandated to wear a face covering, surely they would have all succumbed to the worst this virus has to offer?..........come to think of it, how come supermarket workers who have already been exposed to plebs without masks for months, are not all dropping like flies?

Anyway, time will tell I'm sure.

Chris
Old 2nd August 2020, 07:38   #255
Borg Warner

None

Think it is becoming increasingly clear lock downs are not the answer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-aus...eporting-story

Better get that vaccine sorted.
Old 2nd August 2020, 13:00   #256
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
The special and focussed attention now being imposed on Yorkshire/Lancashire is leading to a different slant in the assumption that UK wide figures are accurately representative of the spread of infection.........

AV:

Just noticed your post no. 289. Thanks for the attention but 'FTFY' seems insufficient, at least to me, definition even with brackets!

If it please you, why not add a note to indicate the wording of the original message - just to avoid any misunderstanding! It saves inconveniently requiring the reader to find the original themselves! And, of course, in the interests of accuracy! As it appears and implies, it is a misquote!
Old 2nd August 2020, 18:07   #257
Borg Warner

None

In a nut shell; target, target, target.

Carpet bombing does not work in the long term.
Old 2nd August 2020, 18:33   #258
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

The wearing of gloves...mmmm
Probably helps..But sitting in a supermarket car park answering a phone call before heading inside I watched the following unfold..
Couple head towards their car with mask and gloves in place move bags of shopping from trolley to car boot, remove gloves and disposable masks and put them in the bin.. Open boot of car retrieve sandwiches pop and crisps from the shopping just purchased and eat same sitting in the car...
Old 2nd August 2020, 19:09   #259
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
The wearing of gloves...mmmm
Probably helps..But sitting in a supermarket car park answering a phone call before heading inside I watched the following unfold..
Couple head towards their car with mask and gloves in place move bags of shopping from trolley to car boot, remove gloves and disposable masks and put them in the bin.. Open boot of car retrieve sandwiches pop and crisps from the shopping just purchased and eat same sitting in the car...
Probably something similar happening all over the place with folk thinking they are being careful and doing the right thing.

Maybe not immediately in the car park but maybe ten minutes later when they arrive home.--

Even just taking the gloves and mask off could be a moment of infection. Pull one glove off with the other one then remove the second glove with your bare hand.---

Face masks rarely taken off by only the elastic fasteners.

The list goes on. The possible bug infested shopping goods. How long will the bugs survive on the surfaces of the wrappers ??

I guess all we can really do is try and limit any possible transfer of the virus.

As they say----every little helps.

PS. What does FTFY mean. ( Why people have to post like that beats me.- )
Old 2nd August 2020, 19:21   #260
Borg Warner

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Probably something similar happening all over the place with folk thinking they are being careful and doing the right thing.

Maybe not immediately in the car park but maybe ten minutes later when they arrive home.--

Even just taking the gloves and mask off could be a moment of infection. Pull one glove off with the other one then remove the second glove with your bare hand.---

Face masks rarely taken off by only the elastic fasteners.

The list goes on. The possible bug infested shopping goods. How long will the bugs survive on the surfaces of the wrappers ??

I guess all we can really do is try and limit any possible transfer of the virus.

As they say----every little helps.

PS. What does FTFY mean. ( Why people have to post like that beats me.- )
FTFY - Fixed that for you.
Closed Thread