Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd March 2021, 20:55   #21
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Tom has said that the finished items will be one piece, I'm sure if you wanted them he could supply in cut versions.
OK thanks for the info. I was just thinking that transporting them abroad as one length (with packing) might prove expensive. Mind you, when Thomas sent the five pairs of sections over to me, postage wasn't at all bad considering the weight.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2021, 08:25   #22
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Quote:
And another string to Toms bow.. full sills coming soon, here’s a pic of the prototype.

Wow and there was me a couple of years ago thinking it was cleaver to buy a whole side of a car as the only way to get a spare sill - well done Tom
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2021, 08:29   #23
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by squire View Post
Now that's really something else, although I thought our cars mostly for at the rear end, I've seen a few with rot at the front, mainly caused both mudflaps, but never heard of any midsections rotting out.
My driver's sill is going the whole length of the seam where it meets the floorpan - probably because the sill is dented so the chrome strip doesn't sit well, which lets water in through the holes I think.

The passenger sill has some rust again where it meets the floorpan but only in the centre, roughly at the B-post, again the chrome strip is loose at that point.

And let's not mention the front jacking points......
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2021, 20:48   #24
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts
Default Sill repair - Tom Hobbs

Another big thank you to Tom Hobbs for working his magic on my latest acquisition.

I bought the car unseen and had it dropped into Tom's so he could work on the advisory on the last MOT, it turns out that not only should the advisory have been a fail, but the other side sill was equally as bad with the jacking points badly rusted and a large dent in the centre of the sill.

I'm collecting it Saturday and dropping another one in for him to repair

Last edited by trikey; 18th March 2021 at 20:54..
trikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2022, 19:46   #25
ShaunThePirate

Rover 75 CDTI

Quote:
Another big thank you to Tom Hobbs for working his magic on my latest acquisition.

I bought the car unseen and had it dropped into Tom's so he could work on the advisory on the last MOT, it turns out that not only should the advisory have been a fail, but the other side sill was equally as bad with the jacking points badly rusted and a large dent in the centre of the sill.

I'm collecting it Saturday and dropping another one in for him to repair
How much does this job cost if you are allowed to say?
ShaunThePirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2022, 20:26   #26
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Quote:
And another string to Toms bow.. full sills coming soon, here’s a pic of the prototype.

I'm pleased to see these coming available and know the work involved having been joint provider of sills for 1937-49 Rovers. Will there be suggestions for fitting, the most difficult bit being attaching the bottom of the new sill to the intermediate sill and BC post, and to the floor. Spot welding preferable but impractical with hand held equipment, few of us have a four post lift and even then welding above one's head is not easy. I would cuggest plug welding through the floor replicating the original spot welds. In all cases surely the seats and carpets must be removed? I'll welcone suggestions as in the process of doing this job.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2022, 15:09   #27
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

I'm in touch with Tom at the moment. Simple related question, are the jack points sealed (ie welded) within the sill or, if not 'plugged' is the jack point a very big hole through which water can enter the sill cavity? Is it 'cill' or 'sill'?
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2022, 17:52   #28
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
I'm in touch with Tom at the moment. Simple related question, are the jack points sealed (ie welded) within the sill or, if not 'plugged' is the jack point a very big hole through which water can enter the sill cavity? Is it 'cill' or 'sill'?

Which is correct cill or sill?
So, both spellings are correct although the most common usage is sill and not cill. As an example, if you search the web for the word cill on Google the search engine will display a box with the spelling sill.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2022, 10:20   #29
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
.......... Is it 'cill' or 'sill'?

In most cases, neither. Just rust!
Old 2nd November 2022, 08:12   #30
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT,160 remap: owner since new in December 2002: Mileage: June22 143,000

Default availability

Hi
I visited Tom in July and thought I'd booked my vehicle in for repair in good time for the offside sill renovation, prior to my MOT next month. However, I am still waiting for a shout from him and my MOT is fast approaching. I have left messages, but no reply. Does anyone know if he is still available, or repairing rust damage?: If anyone on here has a failsafe way of contacting him, please let me know very soon, as I am running out of time for him to help. He doesn't frequent the Forum and I've left him PM's bowdown:

Last edited by robbrooks; 2nd November 2022 at 08:15..
robbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote